Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
How to get smoke smell out of my house - Page 2 - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Walleye Message Central > General Discussion

Old 02-02-2012, 06:24 AM
Wallhanger

Please be very careful using an Ozone generator. It is not a good environment for people, pets and plants. Ozone will also degrade rubber and many types of petrochemical based items.
Do some research before you use one.

If you don't clean surfaces of everything you are at risk of the odor returning as humidity is increased in the home.

You may be able to get a restoration company to sell you some products such as 9-d-9 or wall wash specifically formulated to be effective in the cleaning process.

Morton
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-02-2012, 07:29 AM
Wallhanger

I'm in the fire/water restoration business. I"d start with the ozone machine, best used in an unoccpied building. If the smoke was really bad, pop open the hatch to your attic and let it run up there for 3-4 hours and check it. Do the industrial ozoning in 1-2 hour sessions inside your living space and check it out. If you need to let it run longer you always can. Over-doing ozone can be a problem. You can also get a "lighter duty" machine from Spring Air. You see the Spring Air used in a lot of retirement homes in the hallways etc.... These can be left on and used in occupied rooms. If you still notice a smell i'd move to having a carpet cleaning service come in a clean the carpert and upholstery. with a truckmounted unit only, no portable unit. Then I'd wash the walls if necessary.

Last edited by johnboat; 02-02-2012 at 07:32 AM. Reason: re word
Old 02-02-2012, 09:16 AM
Wallhanger

Thanks all -

This morning it's a little bit better. I'm still going to wash the curtains and walls next like was mentioned. Luckily there are no carpets in the house just some rugs that might be able to be aired outside.

I'll let you know...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-02-2012, 09:58 AM
MK cant log

Several options;

Give it time. It it wasn't too bad to begin with, it will eventually go away/be masked by your normal household odors, cooking, laundry, etc.

or...it its bad...Fix a big pot of chili, invite some buddies over for a poker game; eat chili, fart, smoke cigars.

If all else fails, try the ozone machine and wash walls etc.
Old 02-02-2012, 01:47 PM
Wallhanger

I decided to paint the basement. Now it stinks like paint more than smoke. I like the chili idea
Old 02-02-2012, 04:20 PM
Wallhanger

When we used to go to resorts that allowed smoking in the cabins, we used to put shallow bowls of vinegar around. Usually a day later the smell was gone
Old 02-04-2012, 08:12 PM
Wallhanger

Update: The smoke smell is gone!

I stripped the room that has the pellet stove of any fabric (rug, curtains, pillows, etc.) and washed/cleaned everything. Then I put it and all the furniture outside for 7 hours in the wind and sun. It got up to 38* so the freshly washed curtains didn't freeze to bad. Then I washed the floor, sills, windows, and walls. Sprayed Frabrez everywhere and added a carpet deodorizer to the rug.

Moved it all back in and opened the windows for another hour.

Had a guest in the house today and I asked "do you smell any smoke?" The answer was no.

Thanks for your help everybody!