Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
Anyone fish McKay Lake or Longlac area?? - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Canada Eh? > Canada

Old 02-01-2013, 11:19 PM
Keeper

Default Anyone fish McKay Lake or Longlac area??

Found a few posts but they are all at least 3 years old. Just curious if anyone on here fishes this area at all. My grandfather started going to McKay 50 years ago - eventually brought us grandkids, and now my brother and I and families get up there at least once a year. With it being 10 below outside I thought it would be fun to find others who fish the area and exchange stories and hotspots!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-02-2013, 08:03 AM
Charter Member

You probably found some of my posts on the Longlac area from way back. I haven't been back there since '97 but I intend to change that within the next few years. I've never fished McKay and had to look at a map to figure out where it is. I always stayed at Lukinto Lake which is north of 17, about where you turn south to head to McKay. Does the camp you go to have a website? The only thing I could find was Foggy Mountain and it looked outdated??
Old 02-02-2013, 10:09 AM
Keeper

I have fished McKay-----There isn't a camp there. I have seen ads where a fella claims he has a camp on McKay.
There is a camp way up one of the rivers that runs into McKay or out of McKay. It is a stretch to say there is a camp there.

It is close to home for me--580 miles one way so we use it for short weekend trips.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-02-2013, 11:37 AM
Keeper

Ya, no camp on McKay - we camp on one of the islands in the south channel. The landing is on the far west side of the lake - take the logging road south out of town and the turn off is about 15 miles or so.
I've driven by Lukinto quite a bit, a good friend of ours that lives up there has a "camp" on Chipman Lake. How is (was) Lukinto? What other lakes in the area do you fish. Chipman is a great walleye lake but pretty exposed to north winds! in the spring the fish pile up in the river on the southwest part of the lake. summer can be a bit more challenging but having a local for a guide we usually find them. He likes to fish pretty deep in summer, at least deeper than most people I know fish walleye.
Old 02-02-2013, 11:46 AM
Charter Member

We never fished Lukinto much although we did catch some splake and a few big walleyes there. Chipman is one of my favorites. It can be fantastic where the Kenogomi comes in and where it exits out of Little Chipman into Ogahalla. Jobrin is just north of Chipman and is a good time. Fernow, which is east of Chipman a ways is one of my favorites. It has great fishing for walleyes, northerns, and trout. I know what you mean about fishing deep, we sometimes did really well in 50+ feet for walleyes in May already.
Old 02-02-2013, 01:53 PM
Charter Member

Place I used to fish up till about 5 or 6 years ago was about 35 miles east of Longlac, just south of Klotz Lake. The lake that I have had great fun on was called Kissigamini and it had tons of Walleye and nice Perch, And I mean tons. Don't remember the name of the cabins but they were on the south side of Klotz Lake on the south side of Highway 11. Mike and Tina were the names of the owners. Anyway, Klotz was alright but Kissigamini was a blast.
Old 02-17-2013, 10:14 PM
Keeper

Cool, I will have to check out Kissigamini on one of these trips! there's sooo many lakes, it's hard to choose one without some inside knowledge!!

Anyone ever fish McLeod just south of McKay??
Old 02-19-2013, 05:59 PM
Minnow

i've fished Chipman, Fernow, Burrows, both Jorbins, the log dump and a couple others around longlac. Every lake had abundant walleye and pike and some real bigs one from time to time. Love the area, just wish it was a little closer, but then i'm sure it wouldn't be as good if it was
Old 02-19-2013, 11:18 PM
Keeper

is the "log dump" Long Lake??!!!
Old 02-20-2013, 12:04 AM
Keeper

is the "log dump" Long Lake??!!!
The outhouse is the REAL log dump.