Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
Ruger 10/22 25 round magazines - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Hunting Central > Archery, Blackpowder, Rifles, Pistols, Shotguns...and whatever else you have.

Notices

Old 05-12-2016, 02:30 PM
Wallhanger

Default Ruger 10/22 25 round magazines

I bought 2 of the Ruger BX-25 magazines and tried them out today. Results were interesting.

I used the magazines in a Ruger 10/22 that I've broken in with about 300 rounds of standard and high velocity ammo of various brands. With the standard 10-round magazines it has functioned flawlessly- not one problem to-date. The rifle seems to shoot CCI brand ammo most accurately, so that's what I used for this test.

I loaded the BX-25 magazines with CCI standard velocity .22 LR. What a dismal experience. Approx. every 3rd round would fail to chamber completely and the ejected live round had a very chewed-up bullet. I observed the same with each magazine.

I then loaded the magazines with CCI Mini-Mags. This ammo functioned flawlessly in both magazines.

Moral of the story, only use HV .22 LR in the 25 round magazines.

Curious to know if anyone else has had similar experience with the BX-25 magazines.
Advertisement

Old 05-12-2016, 03:19 PM
Charter Member

I've had no issues with my BX-15 which is similar. I did think it odd how few more cartridges it holds considering how long it is compared to the stock 10 rounder.
Old 05-12-2016, 03:55 PM
Wallhanger

Yes, I'm puzzled by the size of the BX-25 compared to the standard 10-round.

On a positive note, I've done some experiments shimming the action in the Altamont "French walnut" stock that came with this particular 10/22, a Cabela's special Sporter model. While I was fighting the magazines today, the rifle was finally shooting as accurately as it should. If I did my part, in spite of scope parallax, it would consistently put 5 rounds in a dime-size hole at 25 yards, with either type of ammo. Next range trip will be at 50 yards, where the scope is supposed to be parallax-free.