Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
Nikon Pro-Staff scope app - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Hunting Central > Archery, Blackpowder, Rifles, Pistols, Shotguns...and whatever else you have.

Notices

Old 06-05-2016, 08:19 AM
Wallhanger

Default Nikon Pro-Staff scope app

I bought a Nikon Pro-Staff Rimfire scope for my 10/22. If you've seen one, you know it has a bullet drop compensator built into the vertical crosshair. That compensator is calibrated for the ultra high velocity .22 LR rounds, which are scarce and I generally do not use.

I discovered there is an app for Android and iPhone that will calculate the proper holdovers based on the particular scope I'm using, the range at which the scope is zeroed, the scope magnification and the specific round I am shooting (both rimfire and centerfire are covered). Have yet to test it out, but it really makes the scope more useful to me.

The app is called "Nikon SpotOn". If anyone has experience with this app, I'm appreciate hearing your experience.

Last edited by yarcraft91; 06-05-2016 at 08:22 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-05-2016, 12:32 PM
Wallhanger

It's not really calibrated for ultra high velocity 22 ammo, it's just calibrated for an average 22 and then you need to go to the SpotOn app and check it for your particular ammo you're using. I've used it for centerfire and it's pretty accurate. I've never used it for a rimfire and would expect it to be pretty decent at the closer ranges you use a 22 at but velocities matter so much with 22's depending on barrel length.

The main problem I have with any of these BDC style reticles is that if they are on 2nd focal plane scopes, like most are especially the lower priced ones, the hold overs change depending upon the scope power the scope is set on. They would be much more useful if they were 1st focal plane scopes.
Old 06-05-2016, 02:04 PM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by jigstop View Post
It's not really calibrated for ultra high velocity 22 ammo, it's just calibrated for an average 22 and then you need to go to the SpotOn app and check it for your particular ammo you're using. I've used it for centerfire and it's pretty accurate. I've never used it for a rimfire and would expect it to be pretty decent at the closer ranges you use a 22 at but velocities matter so much with 22's depending on barrel length.

The main problem I have with any of these BDC style reticles is that if they are on 2nd focal plane scopes, like most are especially the lower priced ones, the hold overs change depending upon the scope power the scope is set on. They would be much more useful if they were 1st focal plane scopes.
I mis-remembered the manual in my first post- the ProStaff Rimfire BDC isn't calibrated for .22 LR ammunition at all. According to the manual that came with my ProStaff Rimfire, the BDC is calibrated for rimfire cartridges with a muzzle velocity of 1600 fps zeroed at 50 yards, too high for any .22 LR and too low for .22 magnum. Maybe they expect most sales to come from .17 HMR owners, but with the SpotOn app, it will be possible to use the BDC for the more conventional 1255 or 1070 fps 40 grain .22 LR loads.

Last edited by yarcraft91; 06-05-2016 at 02:08 PM.

Old 06-05-2016, 08:55 PM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by yarcraft91 View Post
I mis-remembered the manual in my first post- the ProStaff Rimfire BDC isn't calibrated for .22 LR ammunition at all. According to the manual that came with my ProStaff Rimfire, the BDC is calibrated for rimfire cartridges with a muzzle velocity of 1600 fps zeroed at 50 yards, too high for any .22 LR and too low for .22 magnum. Maybe they expect most sales to come from .17 HMR owners, but with the SpotOn app, it will be possible to use the BDC for the more conventional 1255 or 1070 fps 40 grain .22 LR loads.
If you really want to get nitty-gritty with it use a chronograph and see what the actual muzzle velocity of the ammo you're shooting is out of YOUR rifle as it will vary greatly with barrel length and manufacture. Then in the app enter the muzzle velocity and the Ballistic Coeficient (and don't forget to put in the actual scope height above the bore) and you will really have an accurate ballistic reticle. I reload so this is what I do on my rifles with BDC reticles (and then I shoot deer at 20yds so it doesn't matter one bit LOL!) and it is amazingly accurate.

I used to rep Nikon so if you have any other questions feel free to ask. FYI Nikon used to charge $5 for this app and just started giving it out for free a month or so ago.
Old 06-06-2016, 06:24 PM
Wallhanger

You'll need to know the height of the center of the scope measured from the bore, (not the outside of the barrel).
Old 06-07-2016, 05:59 AM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by jigstop View Post
If you really want to get nitty-gritty with it use a chronograph and see what the actual muzzle velocity of the ammo you're shooting is out of YOUR rifle as it will vary greatly with barrel length and manufacture. Then in the app enter the muzzle velocity and the Ballistic Coeficient (and don't forget to put in the actual scope height above the bore) and you will really have an accurate ballistic reticle. I reload so this is what I do on my rifles with BDC reticles (and then I shoot deer at 20yds so it doesn't matter one bit LOL!) and it is amazingly accurate.

I used to rep Nikon so if you have any other questions feel free to ask. FYI Nikon used to charge $5 for this app and just started giving it out for free a month or so ago.
OK- thanks for the offer. If I've ever seen a ballistic coefficient published for .22 LR bullets, I don't remember it. Might be a fun project to calculate it.

I'll be happy if my rifle is accurate to within 1 minute of squirrel out to 75 yards. My scope is on a Ruger 10/22 with a sporter stock. It took a while to get the action shimmed to the point where the rifle would shoot reliable small groups, but now that it does I can start worrying about finer points of accuracy.
Old 06-07-2016, 11:22 AM
Wallhanger

Biggest thing with rimfire accuracy is finding the bullet it likes the best. Problem now is that ammo is hard to find and when you do find it you're usually limited to one box so it's hard to get 8-10 different kinds to test. Generally forget about the bulk packs for real accuracy as they're made to be cheap, not accurate.
Old 06-07-2016, 08:44 PM
Wallhanger

Yup.