Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
Sighting in a 30-06 - Page 3 - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Hunting Central > Archery, Blackpowder, Rifles, Pistols, Shotguns...and whatever else you have.

Notices

Old 08-17-2016, 09:25 PM
Keeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burr View Post
Something you can try, if you have a stable rest to place and point the gun.

Set the gun on the rest/bench - pointed at the target, with bolt removed. Look through the barrel, and center the bulls eye on the target when looking through the barrel. Then, without touching or moving the gun at all, lift your eye to look through the scope - the cross hairs should be centered on the same spot as looking through the barrel. If not, adjust scope accordingly.

That does not replace shooting, but quite often it will get you on paper so you can shoot your way into the bullseye.

It's one way for those that don't have access to a bore sight at the moment, or those that chose to go without one.

The above approach has worked for me for years and years, but I have one rifle that I could not get on paper with the approach. Only had a few test loads with me, and by the time I realized I should start a little closer to get on paper, I was out of loaded rounds. Oh well, that trip was primarily to test out some starting loads, it would have been nice to know where it was hitting, but I didn't find out on that trip.
This is exactly how I do it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-24-2016, 06:38 PM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burr View Post
Something you can try, if you have a stable rest to place and point the gun.

Set the gun on the rest/bench - pointed at the target, with bolt removed. Look through the barrel, and center the bulls eye on the target when looking through the barrel. Then, without touching or moving the gun at all, lift your eye to look through the scope - the cross hairs should be centered on the same spot as looking through the barrel. If not, adjust scope accordingly.

That does not replace shooting, but quite often it will get you on paper so you can shoot your way into the bullseye.

It's one way for those that don't have access to a bore sight at the moment, or those that chose to go without one.

The above approach has worked for me for years and years, but I have one rifle that I could not get on paper with the approach. Only had a few test loads with me, and by the time I realized I should start a little closer to get on paper, I was out of loaded rounds. Oh well, that trip was primarily to test out some starting loads, it would have been nice to know where it was hitting, but I didn't find out on that trip.
^^^This is how I do it also. Another tip when sighting in after the initial bore sight adjustment is to hold your crosshairs on the bullseye, fire, readjust the rifle so the crosshairs are back on the bullseye and adjust the scope without moving the rifle so the crosshairs are now on the bullet hole.(it helps to have a gun vise for sighting in like this) Once you do that you should be right on. Take one more shot to confirm the scope adjusted correctly. It works good with all my Nikon scopes.

On a side note, the average 30.06 bullet has a maximum point blank of around 275 yards. Which means the bullet shouldn't travel more then +/- 3 inches in that yardage. That is an average, obviously some bullets depending on grain and coefficient are more or less. If your game is within that range, put the crosshairs dead on and squeeze the trigger. It should go without saying that you should practice out to those yardages before trying to take the life of any animal but the rifle will be more than capable to get the job done without any adjustment.