Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
Best Rod/Reel Combo for Bucktails - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Muskie Central > General Discussion

Notices

Old 01-24-2017, 10:19 AM
lundingmusky

Default Best Rod/Reel Combo for Bucktails

Finally going to pull the trigger on a new setup as I only have one 6'6" rod right now. I do most of my fishing with medium sized bucktails (no cowgirl style, large ones) I'm dead set on getting a St. Croix Mojo Musky, but need help with what length and action to get. Also, what recommendations would you have for a low profile reel (brand and gear ratio) Budget is $400 for the rod and reel, rod is $160 so that leaves me $240 for a reel. Thanks in advance for the advice, love this site!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-24-2017, 11:07 AM
Keeper

I use an 8' heavy Mojo Musky with a Toro Revo Beast. I found a great sale and ended up paying $240 for the reel after a mail in rebate. I also have the medium heavy mojo, but mostly my wife uses it. I have a Shimano Convergence that I really like, and actually prefer to use it over the Mojo. I think it is 8'6", and collapses into the handle about a foot or so. I might be wrong, but if I had a do over I would probably go with the Shimano just so I had enough leftover for a Beast. Hands down the sweetest reel I have used. Although, I had a Tranx in my hand at the All Canada show last weekend and knew I had to walk away.
Old 01-24-2017, 02:16 PM
Wallhanger

I'd go with the 8'6" H. If you can find a Curado EJ, that would be a pretty good setup. My main blade rod is a slingblade with an EJ and I throw that the majority of the time. I throw up to 10s with it, but it really excels with 8s.

Old 01-26-2017, 05:54 AM
Charter Member

For sure at least 8'6", or even up to 9'. I throw mainly bucktails, and my two primary rods are 8' & 8'6".

As far as a reel, there is lots to choose from. Abu Garcia Revo Toro S fits in your price point if you know how to look around, and is a nice reel.
Old 01-26-2017, 03:10 PM
Slot Fish

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paulski67 View Post
For sure at least 8'6", or even up to 9'. I throw mainly bucktails, and my two primary rods are 8' & 8'6".

As far as a reel, there is lots to choose from. Abu Garcia Revo Toro S fits in your price point if you know how to look around, and is a nice reel.

If budget wasn't an issue would you choose the Toro S or Toro Beast for pulling double 8's and above? A size 60 in either?
Old 01-27-2017, 08:25 AM
Wallhanger

If you can$60.00 to your Budget get the new Shimano Tranx 400 that will be out in a month or so.... I have 2 Currado's and while they are great reels and can handle 10 blades it is really not there strong suit....Google 400 Tranx and you wills ee all the news/excitement about the reel. The Abu's are fine as are the Diawa's but over the course of time the Shimano reels are proven to be the longest lasting/best reels. (IMHO) IN the end it comes down to pay me now or pay me later as with many things; buy a highly quality item once and your set or buy something else twice or pay more for maintenance overt time...
Old 01-27-2017, 08:34 AM
Wallhanger

Good Advice so for. I have a Long Ranger in 8'6 MH, it throws bucktails fine, I have a Lexa 300 HD in 7:1, handles 10s fairly well but my 50HS with a 6:4 handles them better more power.

Mojo Musky makes a good rod, but don't overlook Tooth Tamer or Tackle Industries as well, if locker length is an issue TI makes telescoping models.

NO doubt go with 8'6 or 9 for throwing bucktails MH or H is all you need.

You can get a curado for 200 right now, they are blowing them out because the new Tranx, the new Tranx will be 279 for a 300 and 299 for 400.

50 and 60 size reels is personal choice really but for launching pounders and heavy rubber and size 10 blades all day I would go 60 for more line capacity. Both of my reels are 50 size but the next will be a 400 Tranx.

Last edited by K Gonefishin; 01-27-2017 at 08:36 AM.