Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
Shorelander sagging bunks - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Boats, Motors, Electronics and Trailers > Trailers

Notices

Old 02-21-2017, 07:46 AM
Keeper

Default Shorelander sagging bunks

I have a 2013 Lund Impact riding on a tandem axle Shorelander trailer with 4- 2X6 carpeted bunks. Recently noticed the ends of the carpet were ripped and upon further inspection realized that although the bunks are 117" long, they are only supported about 12" from each end from the trailer. This leaves nearly an 8ft span of bunk that is unsupported, which is also not supporting the bottom of my boat. The bunks have so little support in the center that I am easily able to move the bunk away from the hull while only using my fingers. I do not see a good way of adding another crossbar to the trailer due to the twin axles and don't like the idea of adding steel "c" channel or angle to the bottom of the original bunks. I see that I could lower the original supports 1" which would only make the boat ride 1/2" higher on the trailer if I switched out the factory 2x6 bunks for 4x6 bunks which should provide a substantial amount more support. I have read about not using treated lumber against aluminum but, am wondering if it would be ok to use the treated 4x6 when both glue and staples have been used to attach the carpet to prevent tearing again, especially on the ends where most of the wear occurs. I wold think that the glue and carpet should form something of a barrier in the event this new treated lumber still reacts with painted aluminum? Thoughts or opinions appreciated.
Minn Kota Terrova 80lb
2-Humminbird Helix 9
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-21-2017, 05:14 PM
Keeper

Wet carpet will still wick the preservative against the hull... so no. I would go back to the 2x6 or even 2x10. In either untreated fir or another hardwood.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 02-21-2017, 06:36 PM
Charter Member

You could screw and glue a 2x3 or 2x4 on edge, on the underside of the bunk board between the 2 brackets. That would definitely stiffen it up. I did that on a previous trailer.

Old 02-22-2017, 10:12 PM
Charter Member

Just bolt a pair of 3"x3" x1/4 inch aluminum angle or channel to the underside of the bunks.
Problem gone.

Good luck
Old 02-23-2017, 05:44 AM
Keeper

I would suggest getting some galvanized 7/8" strut - available at electrical supply houses and screwing to the bottom. It would be low profile and no sharp edges.
Old 02-28-2017, 08:22 AM
Keeper

At this point I am leaning on gluing/carriage bolting an untraeted 2x4 on edge on the middle of the underside. May stack 2- 2x6 untreated and screw/glue yet not suree which of these 2 methods would provide the most rigidity. Maybe I am worrying about it more than needed however, one of the big selling points for a bunk trailer over roller was more support which is not the case as it currently stands.
Minn Kota Terrova 80lb
2-Humminbird Helix 9
Old 03-01-2017, 06:28 AM
Charter Member

Plotman,
If you are going to put a board on the underside of the bunk, use a cedar or cypress for the task.
Neither of these will rot as easily as pine or fir.