Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
firth lake gowganda ontario canada - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Walleye Message Central > Members Fishing Reports

Notices

Old 03-13-2013, 04:34 PM
Minnow

Default firth lake gowganda ontario canada

Looking for info on this lake, for walleye. Going there on fishing trip in june.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-13-2013, 07:50 PM
Charter Member

Have not been there in at least 10 years, walleye population was low IMHO. VeryVeryVery big on Smallmouth.

Staying at Sportsmen's or the one of the other ones?

Drop me a PM and I'll tell you more - there is also another usery that has one of the local camps on here.
Old 03-17-2013, 06:09 PM
Minnow

Default Firth lake

Staying at northern pine camp kinda new to the texting stuff what is a pm

Old 03-17-2013, 08:52 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drop n back View Post
Staying at northern pine camp kinda new to the texting stuff what is a pm

Unless it's changed I always found it lacking for 'eyes. Are you going to hit any of the other lakes?
Old 03-18-2013, 01:42 PM
Minnow

Default Firth lake

We can trailer to any of the near by lakes, gowganda lake looks like it holds walleyes and lake trout
Old 03-18-2013, 02:12 PM
Charter Member

I started going to this area in '82 and the last time was 2002, so some will have changed.

Firth itself is rather shallow, most is under 20'. I used to trailer to it just for the smallmouth. Never targeted walleye and only picked up a handful when bass fishing.

Gowganda is OK - gets a lot of pressure, several camps on the lake.

Wapus is a small tributary into the Montreal River. It has some huge pike. Walleye can be found, most of it is not very deep, there are some large lakes that are part of it. You can go clear upstream to one called Penasi or farther. It is rocky, lots of varied structure and types, weeds, rocks, trees, also some very shallow prop eaters. It depends on the size of the boat. When I had a 16' went a long ways, with a 19' I stopped before the rapids. It gets a lot of pressure but it's so strung out and large you rarely see anyone.

Duncan - I stayed here. Good walleye, anywhere from 20-30 foot deep, some 60' holes. It's 20 miles long but never very wide. Some great walleye, great pike and bass had just entered it about 10 years ago. There were never many bass when I was there but since they have invaded it may have changed drastically.

There are a lot of smaller 4x4 type lakes that most camps have a boat on if that's your thing.

It all depends on what type pf fisher person you are, how serious. Best walleye are early in the year and/or after dark. After dark always depends on how well you like bugs and time of the year. Seen frost in May and frost in August. 100 in May and froze in August!
Old 06-06-2014, 03:09 AM
Minnow

Default Firth Lake Walleye

I just returned from Firth, fished there all last week. ( And I wish I was still there ! ) Since they instituted a slot limit ( no longer in effect ) years ago, we feel the walleye population has improved in both numbers and size. The water last week was still pretty cold as ice out was only a couple of weeks ago, but the fishing was good. We found some nice Walleyes in the shallows around the Noth end of the lake. We mainly hit them on Rapala Countdowns and they were hitting pretty hard when they did hit. Suggest fishing the big rock almost directly across from camp in the evenings. Usually we bobber fish with minnows at this time. It can be hit or miss but if there's a good current there it's usually pretty good. We've been going here for 24 years and the fishing has always been good, plus the area is truly beautiful. Hopefully you're staying with Dave Runion in Northern Pine Camp, and not the so called " Northern Pine Lakefront Cottages " next door. There's been an on going fued between the two for years now, and Dave's side has always been much better, the swains next door have tried to undermine our trip in the past, and have really done a job on the property, I don't mean that in a good way. Hope this helps and you enjoy your trip. Gowganda is really a special place !

Peace !

Terry
Old 03-06-2017, 11:38 AM
Minnow

Default Gowganda Area Fishing

I would like to hear from you people who have fished in the Gowganda area

I have fished there for quite some time.