Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
Converting a roller to a bunk - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Boats, Motors, Electronics and Trailers > Trailers

Notices

Old 03-16-2017, 05:24 AM
Minnow

Default Converting a roller to a bunk

I have a 1775 Pro Vee Lund that has a shorelander roller trailer under it that I have a difficult time loading. Seems like it always takes a few trys to get it centered and to launch by myself its a pain, to say the best. Anyway I was thinking of converting my trailer to a bunk, thinking it might be cheaper than buying a new rig. Any ideas, think it would be worth it, getting older so easy is better. Thanks in advance.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-16-2017, 05:57 AM
Wallhanger

If you post the model number of your trailer, it's easy to find the Shorelander parts manual for it, so we can find the part numbers for the bunk version. most times, the basic frame is the same, just the attachments need to be changed.

HRG
Old 03-16-2017, 06:22 AM
Wallhanger

I have an Alumacraft Classic 165 tiller on a Shoreland'r roller trailer and I love it. I launch and load alone 95% of the time; in fact if someone tries to help me it usually goes worse. When loading, you have to find the right depth to back it in and make sure the trailer is level from side to side. I pull enough winch strap out to reach the "Y" in the trailer frame. I back in to the point where the front of the trailer fender is just above the water line. Your rig may load differently, you just have to experiment. If you back in too deep, the boat will float above the rollers and won't center. Drive the boat on and if wind or operator error throws the stern off, crank the outboard over and give it some gas to straighten it out. (This is probably easier to do with a tiller.) Throttle back enough to keep the boat on the trailer, walk up to the bow, lean over, grab the strap and hook it up. Walk back to the stern, throttle back to let the boat slide back to tighten up on the strap, kill the motor and tilt it up. Walk back to the bow, climb out (I use my spare tire as a step) and crank it up tight, snap on the safety chain and go.

When launching, I back in a little deeper but usually not so far as to get my feet wet. Depends on the ramp. I do have rubber knee boots that I use sometimes when I have a week's worth of camping gear in the boat and the water is cold. I snap a 25' rope on the bow and push it off the trailer. Works great for me, but I did hit the 7-decade mark this winter, so I know what you mean about getting older.

Good luck.

Read your owner's manual.

Old 03-16-2017, 06:24 AM
Keeper

A pair of Bullseye Quickloads will solve your problem. I bought two pair for my roller trailer because my boat ramp is in a river with a sometimes very strong current. http://www.bullseyequickload.com/.
I can approach my trailer at some really extreme angles and my boat loads perfectly centered every time. The forward set of guide-ons is the real reason for being on center front to back. They aren't cheap but are priceless for me. There are lot of YouTube videos about them.
Care to explain why you have trouble launching ?
Old 03-16-2017, 12:26 PM
Keeper

I converted mine from roller to bunk plus added brakes at that time. Worked great! Call Shorelandr.

DeadHead
Old 03-22-2017, 04:55 AM
Minnow

Deadhead, can you give me a close cost to what you spent, and are you happy with how it converted. I mean the roller can be done but it looks so much easier with a bunk and if I can get the parts from shorelander its to easy
Old 03-22-2017, 10:15 AM
Minnow

I will try to explain the problem with launching. So when I back up to the launch I need to go far enough in the launch to take the pressure off the safety chain, this puts me on my rear bumper of my truck standing near the winch feet just out of the water, so now I know I can put a rope on it and let it out but it still is awkward getting off the truck or having my driver pull me ahead holding in the rope. Most of the time I take both ropes off and hop over the bow and pile in. So if you have any ideas I'm up for any! Loading the trailer needs to be pretty level or it needs a couple tries. What am I doing wrong?
Old 03-22-2017, 10:32 AM
Wallhanger

As far as launching with a roller trailer, I have a long rope permanently tied to the bow eye, and have mounted a cleat to my winch post. Back in, throw a couple of loops around the cleat, un-hook the safety chain, release the winch strap, and let the bow line & cleat hold the boat in position.

Once you're ready to go, pull the bow line off the cleat, and let 'er roll.

HRG
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0034.jpg
Views:	62
Size:	204.1 KB
ID:	249610  
Old 03-22-2017, 03:37 PM
Wallhanger

Something is wrong here. The strap on the bow is what holds the boat tight to the front roller. The safety chain, is just that, a safety chain, in case the strap breaks. If your chain is that tight, something is wrong.
Old 03-22-2017, 04:46 PM
Keeper

I have a 1775 Lund Impact with a Shorelander roller trailer. I installed roller type load guides which help to center the boat, but also helps loading in wind and current. As for loading and launching, I got a Drotto automatic boat latch and a set of tongue mounted D-Steps. No need to put on waders or to have to have help.
On the money side, I probably spent about $650 for these items, but for me the ease of loading and launching and the safety aspect more than offset the cost.
andersaki
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20160902_172118.jpg
Views:	59
Size:	304.5 KB
ID:	249650   Click image for larger version

Name:	20160709_071108.jpg
Views:	54
Size:	486.5 KB
ID:	249658