Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
Oahe - Page 4 - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Walleye Message Central > Members Fishing Reports

Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #31  
Old 03-14-2017, 02:59 PM
brentfrank's Avatar
brentfrank brentfrank is offline
Wallhanger
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 1,438
Default

There was an article in the Pierre paper a while back that the DNR was going to start stocking again. I believe it was something like 300,000 fish. If I remember right there is a post on this site with a link to the article.
__________________
Walleyes and Waterfowl, what else is there?
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
  #32  
Old 03-14-2017, 03:06 PM
minkman minkman is offline
Wallhanger
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: SE MN.
Posts: 588
Default

How are you guys interpreting Mr Fincel's statement "there is no concern when it comes to anglers being attracted to the central part of the state"----------does he mean there are still plenty of eyes or is he saying people will come anyway even if there are no fish or is it a message of confidence to the fishing businesses or what do you think ?
Reply With Quote
  #33  
Old 03-14-2017, 04:27 PM
WallyWarrior's Avatar
WallyWarrior WallyWarrior is offline
Wallhanger
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Posts: 925
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by minkman View Post
How are you guys interpreting Mr Fincel's statement "there is no concern when it comes to anglers being attracted to the central part of the state"----------does he mean there are still plenty of eyes or is he saying people will come anyway even if there are no fish or is it a message of confidence to the fishing businesses or what do you think ?


From my own findings I would say he thinks there are still plenty of opportunities. Haven't put much time in on the big lake the last couple of years, but have still done well up there each trip.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Reply With Quote
 
  #34  
Old 03-14-2017, 08:07 PM
CRNKBT ADDCT CRNKBT ADDCT is offline
Keeper
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: SD
Posts: 202
Default

Soooo...pike numbers good...salmon numbers good...small mouth bass numbers really good...NO SH@t the walleye numbers are down . The small ones are probably on the menu....
__________________
Take a fish boating...........

2002 Warrior 1898
200 Yamaha HPDI
T8 Yamaha Kicker
'Bird 1199
'Bird 998
Reply With Quote
  #35  
Old 03-16-2017, 12:54 PM
Fisher-man Fisher-man is offline
Keeper
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 350
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by gofishwalleye View Post
Yeah, it isn't a surprise, but very disappointing. Will have to rethink my options for this coming year.
Reply With Quote
  #36  
Old 03-16-2017, 01:03 PM
goosechaser's Avatar
goosechaser goosechaser is online now
Slot Fish
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: Central Nebraska
Posts: 143
Default

I still cant help but think that all those walleyes under 15 inches that were taken out of Oahe a few years ago was not the right thing to do.
__________________
2013 Ranger 620 VS
Mercury 250 V-Rod Pro
Mercury 9.9 Pro kicker
I-Pilot Link with Birds
Reply With Quote
  #37  
Old 03-16-2017, 04:05 PM
gofishwalleye's Avatar
gofishwalleye gofishwalleye is offline
Wallhanger
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Rapid City, SD.
Posts: 517
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by goosechaser View Post
I still cant help but think that all those walleyes under 15 inches that were taken out of Oahe a few years ago was not the right thing to do.
Ditto
__________________
Mike Kriz
Rapid City, SD
Reply With Quote
  #38  
Old 03-18-2017, 09:06 PM
no dak oahe
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default regs

Did anybody that attended the SDGFP meeting suggest tighter regs on Missouri River reservoir systems? specifically lower walleye limits on oahe ? i know a group is trying to gather momentum to have some areas on lake sharpe and francis case protected from fishing pre spawn. I have heard the reason why limited bigger walleye in the system is because there was a walleye die off. not sure i can wrap my head on that one, why are other species at all time highs? Bass particular
went over bridge today at chamberlain must have been 300 boats on the water - a lot of pre spawn females hauled out -- look at the Facebook pics
Reply With Quote
  #39  
Old 03-18-2017, 09:18 PM
brentfrank's Avatar
brentfrank brentfrank is offline
Wallhanger
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 1,438
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by no dak oahe View Post
Did anybody that attended the SDGFP meeting suggest tighter regs on Missouri River reservoir systems? specifically lower walleye limits on oahe ? i know a group is trying to gather momentum to have some areas on lake sharpe and francis case protected from fishing pre spawn. I have heard the reason why limited bigger walleye in the system is because there was a walleye die off. not sure i can wrap my head on that one, why are other species at all time highs? Bass particular
went over bridge today at chamberlain must have been 300 boats on the water - a lot of pre spawn females hauled out -- look at the Facebook pics
They should really do something about all of these fish being taken out of the system right now. These guys are real great fishermen taking these walleyes at the time of year when any one could catch them. It wouldn't hurt my feelings one bit with a change in the season structure and slots. Maybe close it down March 1 to April 20th or so and make the slot 15" to 20" and only one fish over 28". Just something to think about. Oahe and Francis Case had some really great fishing for a few years and now they are mediocre at best. Can't speak about Sharp as it has been few years since I have fished it but I hear it is heading the same direction.
__________________
Walleyes and Waterfowl, what else is there?
Reply With Quote
  #40  
Old 03-19-2017, 06:09 PM
minkman minkman is offline
Wallhanger
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: SE MN.
Posts: 588
Default

Are we being too pessimistic about the situation ? I say that with this in mind : Summer 2015 there were a fair amount of 15's in Oahe, was told lots of bait fish,2015-16 Winter was ok, no flood in 2016, Summer of 2016 seemed fair until July 1,then the fishing went down hill fast and bad,lots of bait fish around. Winter of 2016-17 has been good . Did not hear of any problems during that period of time . Seems the fish should be there someplace. Maybe deep like some are saying.---If they didn't reproduce well the last two years , we wouldn't even notice that yet(too small).--A lot less fish caught last year so that should help the population.. Maybe they are still there !!!! Hope so
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 09:11 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2017 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.