Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
Bobber fishing for walleye - Page 5 - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Walleye Message Central > Strictly Fishing

Notices

Old 03-09-2017, 10:42 AM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by BornToFish View Post
Greetings,

It seems that this thread has wandered considerably since the original post. So, I will help it wander some more. Do any of you anglers have experience with Thill's Wobble Bobber? If so, how do you like fishing with these bobbers? What sizes do you commonly use? I mostly use slip bobbers in the spring, fishing shallow rock reefs when the walleyes are shallow (< seven fow).

Good fishing and tight lines!!

I have played with them a little. They give the bait some good action when there is a light chop on the water. Didnt really increase my hits any, and honestly i think it cost me some bites. Regular balsa ovals were equal or better. Cool concept in bobbers though, and im sure there will be a day where the fish are active and want it moving... but if thats the case then i wont be bobber fishing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-09-2017, 01:30 PM
cutting edge

Quote:
Originally Posted by BornToFish View Post
Greetings,

It seems that this thread has wandered considerably since the original post. So, I will help it wander some more. Do any of you anglers have experience with Thill's Wobble Bobber? If so, how do you like fishing with these bobbers? What sizes do you commonly use? I mostly use slip bobbers in the spring, fishing shallow rock reefs when the walleyes are shallow (< seven fow).

I would echo what Kevin23 posted, because I have used them also (just twice- 1/2 oz model) and have not been overwhelmed with them. You know.... I always periodically lift my rod when bobber fishing to get my bait moving or give it some action, if bites are slow anyway, but if things are that bad, then as Kevin23 said, its time to change up with some other presentation. I'm sure that on some rare moment that the wobble bobber would make a slight difference ( they are designed for calmer waters & wobble more to give more action) but I myself will stick with the regular Thill Pro Series w/metal grommet insert. As far as size, that all depends on what presentation or bait I'm using (I only bought the 1/2 oz size to try them out). Over the last few years I have actually been fishing many other methods more often than bobber fishing (although there is still, after all these years, nothing like watching your bobber go under) largely because I get tired of buying live bait all of the time & find that I do pretty well w/ artificials anyway (also not saying artificals out-fish live bait either, although many times they do & will) however there are certainly times when live bait rules. so,after all my rambling, i would say I wouldn't rush to buy them.

Good Luck!
Old 03-11-2017, 10:42 AM
Wallhanger

Bobber fishing is my primary mode. I use 10# mono with 8# flouro leader. I also use the probass bobber described by Kevin: http://t.basspro.com/Bass-Pro-Shops-...product/52867/. I typically use the 4" version for all around versatility and visibility. I use a 1/4 ounce football sliding sinker tied above a swivel. That combination of bobber and weight seems a perfect match.

I think a weighted bobber would be worthless and eliminates the possibility of accurate depth control.

Speaking of casting far I think there are trade offs. I find the harder I cast the more prone the hook is to catch the line above the bobber. (Note that the hook typically trails the bobber and sinker during flight) The rig is useless when that happens and the line must be reeled in to untangle. Leader length plays into the equation also. The longer the leader the more likely the line will get hooked during a long cast. I usually have about 24-30" leader. The longer the leader the greater the variation in depth control which may be good or bad depending on the spot. Sometimes long casts are useful to find the exact location where fish are stacked up in which case moving the boat helps.

I use small wire hooks. I occasionally use tiny jigs.

I usually stand when I set the hook not to apply more power but to reduce slack inherent in a bobber rig by increasing the length of the sweep of the tip of the rod, then aggressively reeling in during the downstroke to avoid any slack.

Old 03-11-2017, 11:51 AM
Minnow

Default Bobber Fishing

I would put a trot line out where Bob and Bill are fishing....
Old 03-19-2017, 12:47 AM
Keeper

Default Help me with my bobber problem

I used to like fishing with slip bobbers but I find I too often hook the fish too deep to release them as they get injured more than any other way I catch them. What am I doing wrong?
Old 03-19-2017, 03:09 PM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kartman35 View Post
I used to like fishing with slip bobbers but I find I too often hook the fish too deep to release them as they get injured more than any other way I catch them. What am I doing wrong?

Waiting too long to set the hook, or using too small of a hook. Maybe 1/50 are gut hooked for me.. obviously jigging or fishing cranks produces significantly less gut hooked fish, but i feel slips are better than lindy rigs in terms of gut hooked fish.

I bought some circle hooks to try this season.

Old 03-19-2017, 06:46 PM
Keeper

Default Follow-Up

Greetings,

I am with Kevin23 in terms of my experiences with slip bobbering. I don't let the fish keep the bobber under very long before setting the hook with a big, sweeping hook set to take up slack line. I also use either #1 or #2 Octopus hooks under the slip bobber. Honestly, I don't get many walleyes that are deeply hooked with the above approach.

Old 03-31-2017, 06:07 PM
Minnow

Would a 3/8 oz jig work with these floats or would it be too heavy and pull the float under?

http://t.basspro.com/Bass-Pro-Shops-...product/52867/
Old 04-01-2017, 05:56 AM
Charter Member

In response to the line getting fouled up during casting, I have found that feathering the cast, and then stopping it just prior to the rig hitting the water can reduce mess ups by a considerable amount. It requires some amount of adjusting the timing during the last second or so of the cast, but the trick is get the line pretty much completely straightened out just before it all hits the water. The same holds true for about all rigs where there is more than one item of some weight towards the end.

Bill
Old 04-02-2017, 12:42 PM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigRedSmokey View Post
Would a 3/8 oz jig work with these floats or would it be too heavy and pull the float under?

http://t.basspro.com/Bass-Pro-Shops-...product/52867/

The 3/4 is 1/8oz and the 7/8 is 1/4oz from what i can remember. Some guys like using a split shot and a 1/16oz jig head but i have always done best with a split shot and hook.

IMO if you do find a bobber to hold a 3/8oz jighead, the walleye is going to hit it and drop it long before you can reel up your line and set the hook.