Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
New 225 Verado and 9.9 Prokicker Break In - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Boats, Motors, Electronics and Trailers > Motors and Props

Notices

Old 02-08-2017, 05:22 PM
Slot Fish

Default New 225 Verado and 9.9 Prokicker Break In

This is my first Verado engine. Does anyone have advice on the proper Break In procedure for a new Verado and 9.9 kicker? There seems to be a lot of debate about following Mercurys procedure!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-08-2017, 07:21 PM
Keeper

Drive it like you stole it for the first hour within the parameters Merc has for break in. Don't baby it. Keep the trim buried and make it work....I kept it trimmed down all the way except for the one minute every ten at WOT, needed to see what I could get top end! Haha
Old 02-08-2017, 07:25 PM
Keeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger B MN View Post
Drive it like you stole it for the first hour within the parameters Merc has for break in. Don't baby it. Keep the trim buried and make it work....I kept it trimmed down all the way except for the one minute every ten at WOT, needed to see what I could get top end! Haha
x2

Old 02-09-2017, 12:57 PM
Wallhanger

Read the owners manual. Do what it says. Proper break in is a must and improper break in is recorded.
Old 02-09-2017, 04:08 PM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by bloodman View Post
Read the owners manual. Do what it says. Proper break in is a must and improper break in is recorded.
Good advice. Remember the some engine ECU's record peak Rpm and time at rpm. That could work against you in a warranty claim!

Marty
Old 02-10-2017, 10:54 AM
Charter Member

Yeah, what the others have said. I'll add - leave the fishing poles at home. Get out on the water and complete the break-in procedure. Then - load up the fishing equipment.

You only have one chance to seat the rings and avoid cylinder washing throughout ownership.
Old 02-13-2017, 09:29 PM
Slot Fish

Thanks for all the advice.
Old 03-19-2017, 07:50 PM
Slot Fish

I am going to be breaking in the engines in very cold water. Is this a problem as far as engine temperature and seating the rings? I was thinking I would pick a nice day and spend 8 hours nonstop to get it done then do it all over again with the 9.9 Pro kicker.
Old 03-28-2017, 11:25 AM
Keeper

Default Don't end up on shore! Bigger water or plan on doing circles.

Make sure your on a body of water you can go WOT for that 1 min test. For me Winnebago was great on a semi calm day. Doesn't take long to go 15 mins across the lake at 51 mph. ;-) You really want to set the rings and you can't do the old race car trick of ease up to speed then backpressure down in 2nd gear. So what I did was under 4500 RPM do easy off plane to plane runs to cycle the backpressure as best you can. Do it good now and you will have a strong engine (I know boats they are called Motors) for years to come.

Our Farm tractors are run at the dealer on Dyno before delivery because farming isn't ideal to break in just like your kicker's job isn't ideal. Tip leave your kicker in gear when you shut off. You'll thank me the first time you leave your kicker down and your flying at 50 mph and that little prop and lower unit is just a trying to spin fast enough. I also leave in gear when trailer for the same purpose. No need to spin around while driving on the interstates.

Enjoy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bloodman View Post
Old 03-28-2017, 11:27 AM
Keeper

Default It's cold outside...

Feel the water out of the tell tail to make sure it is up to op temp first. Once it is at normal temp your fine. Just like driving in WI at -30 temps easy till car is warmed up then your fine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hookjaw View Post
I am going to be breaking in the engines in very cold water. Is this a problem as far as engine temperature and seating the rings? I was thinking I would pick a nice day and spend 8 hours nonstop to get it done then do it all over again with the 9.9 Pro kicker.