Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
Fuel line for kicker motor question? Alumacraft competitor 205. - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Boats, Motors, Electronics and Trailers > Boats

Notices

Old 02-27-2017, 07:15 AM
Keeper

Default Fuel line for kicker motor question? Alumacraft competitor 205.

So I purchased a mercury 9.9 prokicker this weekend. It came with a small auxiliary tank and all connections necessary to hook up to the kicker. The dealer I purchased it from said i could just cut the line at the tank and hook it up to the boat.

The way it looks I would like to just purchase new hose and necessary components to hook it up and I will use the one that came with the kicker as an auxiliary tank for my yamaha generator.

The 205 has an auxiliary pickup that appears to be 3/8 and the hose that came with the kicker is 5/16, another reason to just start over. There appears to be 3 things I need to get this done, a connector that clips on the motor, a primer bulb, and one other "thing" in the line that I need to figure out what it is; if I am to duplicate the setup that came with the motor.. So, my long winded question is, what is that circular disc looking thing with 2 fuel ports on it and is it necessary or do I just get the 3/8 line, clip, and primer bulb and call it good?

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-27-2017, 07:54 AM
Wallhanger

Can you post a picture?

Marty
Old 02-27-2017, 11:23 AM
Charter Member

"what is that circular disc looking thing with 2 fuel ports on it and is it necessary?"

This is what it is, a safety device. Only you can decide if it is necessary in your boat.

http://www.discountmarinesupplies.co...mg-att9300.jpg
Attwood Fuel Demand ValveFuel demand valve, used in conjunction with portable fuel systems is for above deck use only. Provides safe management of pressurized fuel by preventing it from flowing unless there is demand from the engine. Prevents fuel spray when connecting or disconnecting fittings at the engine. Compatible with ethanol fuel.

Old 02-27-2017, 02:27 PM
Keeper

Thankyou. That is the item in question. I see that I do have one on the fuel line running to the big motor so I will most likely do the same for the kicker. Thankyou
Old 02-27-2017, 03:23 PM
Wallhanger

I had trouble with the cheap store bought hoses for my kicker. The inner sleeve part fell apart and pluged the hose. I replaced it with this hose. They make both sizes. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

For primer bulbs it looks like Mercury or Yamaha make good ones
Old 02-28-2017, 05:26 PM
Wallhanger

I bought some that same hose that Snowking did from Amazon. Price was fine for what I was looking for and it is a lot more durable feeling than the grey hose that fell apart on my big engine. I'll finish up replacing the poorer hose with the new one this spring on both the big engine and my 9.9 Pro Kicker.
Old 03-04-2017, 08:03 PM
Keeper

I was able to get the kicker to run on the tank that came with. I also tried to run it off the new line I put in off of the auxiliary fitting on the 205. The bulb would never pump up and get hard on that one. It is almost as if there is not a hose from the auxiliary pickup in the tank to the one that is at the splash well. What gives?
Old 03-05-2017, 10:25 PM
Wallhanger

if someone was not going to run a kicker they might not have installed the inner hose. Or least not connected the inner hose to the main fuel tank. On my crossover I can unscrew a piece of the deck to get at the fuel tank. you would maybe have to start a new post or google how to gain access to the top of your fuel tank. Maybe you could reach though a transom access hole to the inner fitting, Might be able to feel if there is a hose attached. You would not want a main tank fuel line hose to a transom connecter with just a rubber plug on the brass fitting. With no kicker fuel line attached if you lost that rubber cap you could get water in the fuel. When I ordered my boat I told them I was transferring my kicker from my old boat. So they did have the line connected from the tank to the Barb connection in the splashwell.

Last edited by Snowking; 03-05-2017 at 10:43 PM.
Old 03-18-2017, 08:14 PM
Keeper

I put a different fuel line and bulb on but still no dice getting it to pull fuel. I was able to get fuel through that auxiliary fitting using a siphon. Do I need to somehow prime that line or just squueeze that bulb forever?
Old 03-19-2017, 09:23 PM
Keeper

Default Got it

I pointed the arrow up and was able to get it to prime finally!