Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
Which Manual Jack Plate that won't Interfere w/Hydraulic Steering Cylinder??? - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Boats, Motors, Electronics and Trailers > Boats

Notices

Old 03-13-2017, 04:08 PM
Keeper

Question Which Manual Jack Plate that won't Interfere w/Hydraulic Steering Cylinder???

I am looking to install a manual jack plate so it will be easier to raise or lower outboard to fine tune performance. As it is right now, I have to stand on my head and contort my body to reach the bottom bolts under the splashwell.

The issue I have been reading about (with a jack plate installed) is when the outboard is trimmed up, the angle of dangle has changed and it will now make contact with the hydraulic cylinder fittings or the cylinder itself.

I am not trying to gain 3 mph on top end or anything like that. Nor am I am I looking to spend $$$ on an hydraulic jack plate. I know my boat's limitations and I am not trying to outfit it with something it doesn't need.

I am simply trying to make it easier to adjust or take the motor on an off as needed.

Thoughts?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-14-2017, 07:32 PM
Keeper

Arrow

bump...
Old 03-14-2017, 11:47 PM
Minnow

Quote:
Originally Posted by defiant0ne View Post
I am looking to install a manual jack plate so it will be easier to raise or lower outboard to fine tune performance. As it is right now, I have to stand on my head and contort my body to reach the bottom bolts under the splashwell.

The issue I have been reading about (with a jack plate installed) is when the outboard is trimmed up, the angle of dangle has changed and it will now make contact with the hydraulic cylinder fittings or the cylinder itself.

I am not trying to gain 3 mph on top end or anything like that. Nor am I am I looking to spend $$$ on an hydraulic jack plate. I know my boat's limitations and I am not trying to outfit it with something it doesn't need.

I am simply trying to make it easier to adjust or take the motor on an off as needed.

Thoughts?
I'm not an expert on manual jack plates but I do have experience with Hydraulic jack plates. If you gave us some more information about your set up, or pictures, it might help us understand better
on how to answer the question. I don't think a manual jack plate will cause you any issue's in most cases as long as its not over a 6" set back. Sometimes when you get into the bigger setbacks you have to worry about your cable lengths and harness lengths ect.. but as far as the steering cylinder fittings and hoses they shouldn't interfere. I could be wrong, it depends on your set up, but ifs its a small block engine 175hp or less they all run mostly the same steering system. At least on the domestic ones. When I installed the hyd. 8" setback jack plate on my opti, nothing hit except the wiring harness on stern, but that was only when the jackplate was lowered to the lowest position possible, and tilted higher than 55 or so degrees. On a manual jackplate you won't have that problem because it won't lower that far like a hyd. It will, but you won't have it that low when your motor height is set properly. Manual jack plates are only designed to make small adjustments at a time until you get your propeller and engine height properly tuned for your specific boat. If you start off with the manual plate at the same height your engine is currently, you shouldn't have problems. Each time you make an adjustment, recheck your clearances. Hope that helps...but more info needed to get more responses I think.

Old 03-14-2017, 11:48 PM
Charter Member

Defiant,
Actually, your comment surprise me a bit. I have never actually heard of any issues with a jack plate and a hydraulic cylinder.

If in doubt - give Bob's machine shop a call - a very good provider of jack plates and ask them the question.

http://www.bobsmachine.com/Manual-Ja...0-400HP_c5.htm

Good luck
Old 03-15-2017, 08:04 AM
Keeper

Arrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by gravelcarp View Post
I don't think a manual jack plate will cause you any issue's in most cases as long as its not over a 6" set back. Sometimes when you get into the bigger setbacks you have to worry about your cable lengths and harness lengths ect.. but as far as the steering cylinder fittings and hoses they shouldn't interfere. I could be wrong, it depends on your set up, but ifs its a small block engine 175hp or less they all run mostly the same steering system. At least on the domestic ones. When I installed the hyd. 8" setback jack plate on my opti, nothing hit except the wiring harness on stern, but that was only when the jackplate was lowered to the lowest position possible, and tilted higher than 55 or so degrees. On a manual jackplate you won't have that problem because it won't lower that far like a hyd. It will, but you won't have it that low when your motor height is set properly. Manual jack plates are only designed to make small adjustments at a time until you get your propeller and engine height properly tuned for your specific boat. If you start off with the manual plate at the same height your engine is currently, you shouldn't have problems. Each time you make an adjustment, recheck your clearances. Hope that helps...but more info needed to get more responses I think.
Thank you for the reply. You did not mention if you had hydraulic steering with your Opti. I agree that there will be no issues (or at least minimal) with a mechanical steering cable attached. The hydraulic cylinder sticks out away from the outboard at least 4". So, when the outboard tilts up it has enough room as it tilts into the inboard side of the transom. If I set the outboard back 4"-6" inches, the probability of hitting the plate or top of transom increases, since there is no void for the hydraulic cylinder to enter. At the very least the hydraulic cylinder fittings could be sheared off. I could raise the outboard on the jack plate to attain the clearance needed, but that would be counterproductive to performance.

d1

Quote:
Originally Posted by REW View Post
Defiant,
Actually, your comment surprise me a bit. I have never actually heard of any issues with a jack plate and a hydraulic cylinder.
If in doubt - give Bob's machine shop a call - a very good provider of jack plates and ask them the question.
I sent them a message and am waiting on a response.

------------------
(Attached pic is not my boat, but is the same model and motor)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	monark transomv2.jpg
Views:	62
Size:	85.8 KB
ID:	248178  

Last edited by defiant0ne; 03-15-2017 at 08:21 AM. Reason: added picture
Old 03-17-2017, 09:50 AM
Keeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by REW View Post
Defiant,

http://www.bobsmachine.com/Manual-Ja...0-400HP_c5.htm

Good luck
Well, they recommended a couple manual jack plates, however they couldn't guarantee the hydraulic cylinder wouldn't hit the jack plate or transom. So, back to square one...
Old 03-19-2017, 10:33 AM
Wallhanger

My zv18 came with a slidemaster 6" setback manual jack plate and I have no clearance issues with my 200 Optimax that has hydraulic steering.
Old 03-20-2017, 06:21 AM
guest guest

Check out the slide master plates. We just put a 3" on my buddies Skeeter and only had to mount the motor one hole higher than stock position. They have a kind of notch built in to them to clear the steering cylinder. That being said, had you considered that you can mount the motor on its lowest hole to get the maximum clearance between the steering and jackplate and then use the jackplate to set your height. That is how they are designed!
Old 03-20-2017, 07:37 AM
Keeper

Arrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by egladding View Post
My zv18 came with a slidemaster 6" setback manual jack plate and I have no clearance issues with my 200 Optimax that has hydraulic steering.
Quote:
Originally Posted by guest guest View Post
Check out the slide master plates. We just put a 3" on my buddies Skeeter and only had to mount the motor one hole higher than stock position. They have a kind of notch built in to them to clear the steering cylinder. That being said, had you considered that you can mount the motor on its lowest hole to get the maximum clearance between the steering and jackplate and then use the jackplate to set your height. That is how they are designed!

Both these boats have a lot more transom clearance than with boat. The hydraulic steering cylinder rods could contact the sides of the vertical portion of the stepped transom if not setback far enough. I have not yet found an example of a boat (like mine) with hydraulic steering and a jack plate. I will research the SlideMaster jack plates to see what they offer.

Last edited by defiant0ne; 03-20-2017 at 07:39 AM.