Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
plow damage to boat - Page 2 - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Walleye Message Central > General Discussion

Notices

Old 03-17-2017, 07:12 PM
Wallhanger

Mark, I don't see the issue. If your kayak is only made by one company a receipt should not be required. I would simply check to see if any other used units of the exact same make/ model are listed for sale in your area. If they are, go have a look and see if there is one in the same shape. Get a price. Most insurance companies would be pleased to cut you a cheque for a unit you are happy with. If there are not any units of the same make available used, your case will be that much stronger. It is far better for you to know this before getting bullied by an insurance company rep. The law requires the insurer to make you "whole". This doesn't mean better off. Even though this is important to you, the cost of this claim simply doesn't justify a huge effort on behalf of the claims adjuster. Help them do the right thing by doing a little leg work and things will most likely work out well for you. Sorry about the hassle you are experiencing. Good luck.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-17-2017, 08:05 PM
Wallhanger

Let me say this, I work for over 30 insurance companies in WI, and yes CLUE reports give them an indication if you are habitual or have a larger than ave number of claims, BUT, if you are so worried to contact your agent regarding a claim, you need to consider a new insurance AGENT and COMPANY. If your insurance company raises rates over kayak damage done by someone else, all I can say is WOW, if you are in WI I can recommend about 10 to 20 to replace them.

FYI, there are some companies that have captive agents where their bonuses and other compensations may be limited if their clients have too many claims, I'm not going to say this is the case here, but if your agent is telling you not to bring in any claims, well......

Do what other posters have said to get a good idea of what your kayak is worth, document it, an adjuster from the insurance company will use it, verify it, and send it in. Then expect to get either a check or at least an offer.
Old 03-18-2017, 07:21 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkIV View Post
To Bill K,...not from me(?)

Ok the question is how are they going to determine the depreciated value? #1 I don't have receipts of when I purchased it and #2 I'm pretty sure the price of a new one to replace it has gone up.

To aspencreek: I know about CLUE reports,..(I'm a landlord) even asking my insurance agent will get a mark on it,..I would rather not have my ins company involved.
Sorry, as I said, probably just my memory, funny how we can sometimes just remember parts of other stories, good luck in getting this resolved in a positive manner!

Bill

Old 03-19-2017, 07:16 AM
Wallhanger

I spent 35 years negotiating claims with insurance companies and this is not a complicated claim. . At $3,700 I'd bet the claim will be handled on the phone. Go to the store, get a price for a replacement and submit it.

If by chance the company does send an adjuster tell them to do the work find the comps. You could do a little research yourself just to have some bargaining power. 10% chance you will have any problem collecting on this claim.
Old 03-20-2017, 07:57 AM
Charter Member

Mark,
When you get your new Kayak, post a picture so that we can all share in your new boat.

Be safe