Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
Stand Alone Fish Finder Opinions - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Boats, Motors, Electronics and Trailers > Electronics

Notices

Old 03-15-2017, 01:46 PM
Minnow

Default Stand Alone Fish Finder Opinions

I'm looking to add a graph, I have a helix 10si in the back and a helix 9di in front, everything is linked together along with my terrova. I'm perfectly happy with the units but I want another unit strictly for 2D, willing to go with any brand, 7" or larger, just wanna get the best 2D available. Just looking for opinions, leaning towards Garmin as of now, thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-16-2017, 09:08 AM
Minnow

Just 2D Garmin is your ticket, pick any Chirp model.
Old 03-16-2017, 10:31 AM
Minnow

One advantage to getting another Helix 2D is you can link the 10SI with it, and it can show SI as well. I'll have almost the exact same setup as you when my boat arrives a few days. A Helix 10 SI in the rear, Helix 9 2d up front connected to a terrova link. I plan to add another Helix 9 or 10 2D in the rear, and link the 10SI and 2D together. Then I can put SI, DI or just 2D or GPS on any screen.

Just my $.02.

Old 03-16-2017, 01:41 PM
Minnow

Thanks for the opinions, I have no reason to link another bird, wanna put something else w it for comparison plus I'm not overly impressed with their 2D. Curious about interference if I run my birds w a garmin or lowrance...
Old 03-16-2017, 03:50 PM
Wallhanger

Default Homework

You have to really do your homework when running multiple units with their own transducers. Many resolve this by networking the units to look though the same transducer. Personally, I've never found that very useful. Start you a list of what frequencies you are going to run on what transducer. The recommendation is to stay 50 apart, but I have gotten by with less. Right now I am running, 83,107, 150, 200, 230, 400, 417, 455 and 800. When I started with multiple units the first thing I had to do was pull the Birds off the boat. That was several years ago and there were problems isolating 200/83 to either single frequency. You have to pick a starting point and that point dictates what your other choices can be. For me, the starting point was the Vexilar Edge3. It runs 107 and 400. Then I only added what could be used compatibly through trial and error. To do this required units that absolutely controlled the frequencies. Back then that sent me to Lowrance. When you set them to 200 you get 200 only. When you set them to 83 or 50 that's what you get. Now I have pulled 2 of the Lowrance units off and added Garmin CHIRP. Chirp transducers are very flexible in the frequency settings and Garmin has a huge variety to choose from. Generally I do not have mine set to chirp, instead having them set to run on a specific frequency of my choice. I'm not current on Hbird or Lowrance now so I can't say what they can or can't do. I've tried several Garmins and and very pleased with their performance overall. IMO Hbird has the best side imaging, Lowrance the best DownScan and Garmin the best 2d. The Vexilar Edge3 still takes the cake for the best 2d only jigging implementation. It only has 320 vertical pixels so sometimes the detail is lacking. but when I want to see close to the bottom, the very closest to the bottom, the 400 kHz 10 degree cone outperforms chirp by 2 hairs.
Old 03-17-2017, 08:09 AM
Minnow

Thanks LWinches that was very informational and very helpful, appreciate it!!!
Old 03-17-2017, 10:40 AM
Charter Member

To the best of my knowledge, Humminbirds ping in 200 at all times for depth, no matter what frequency you select either 2D, DI, or SI. With that said, you need a unit that can use something other than 200 to avoid interference. Garmin or Lowrance will do that for you. I run a Garmin and a Lowrance and just set them in different frequencies to avoid interference. I think you will be very pleased with a Garmin 2D unit.
Old 03-17-2017, 11:59 PM
Keeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shellback View Post
To the best of my knowledge, Humminbirds ping in 200 at all times for depth, no matter what frequency you select either 2D, DI, or SI. With that said, you need a unit that can use something other than 200 to avoid interference. Garmin or Lowrance will do that for you. I run a Garmin and a Lowrance and just set them in different frequencies to avoid interference. I think you will be very pleased with a Garmin 2D unit.
Correct...HB units transmit 200kHz all the time regardless of "Beam Frequency" settings or which view is being displayed ...

Even when the "Beam Frequency" selection is set to 83kHz... It tells the unit you only want to display the 83kHz (while the 200kHz is still transmitting in the background for digital depth) ...

Rickie

Last edited by rnvinc; 03-18-2017 at 12:02 AM.
Old 03-20-2017, 09:35 AM
Wallhanger

You want the best then I would recommend the Lowrance Elite TI 7. Have yet to see Garmin 2D in person but I can say it would be pretty tough to beat Lowrance.
NPAA #523