Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
Boat tool kits... - Page 2 - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Walleye Message Central > Strictly Fishing

Notices

Old 03-10-2017, 12:51 PM
Charter Member

The first thing to obtain is a tool box. You are on the water. Water is wet. Tools are metal. If they get wet, they rust.

Here is a nice inexpensive box of a nice size that I use for a tool box.

https://www.wholesalemarine.com/smal...FYIBaQoddF0O6w

With the rubber gasket and lock down lid, the box is nice and water proof.

--------------
Then, after obtaining all of the tools that you are going to put in the tool box, I spray them all with WD-40 and leave them wet with WD-40 when storing in the box. WD-40 is a nice moisture barrier to inhibit the formation of rust.

------------------
Tools and parts.
Full set of spare spark plugs.
Spark plug socket and any extension if needed and a ratchet for the socket.
A socket for the prop nut, spare prop nut and prop nut washers as well as any locks or cotter pins as needed to secure your particular prop on your engine.
If you have a kicker, or trolling motor, also have spare prop nuts and washers and locks for those motors as well. if you have a kicker, also spare plugs for that motor as well.

A set of sockets that match the nuts on your motor. You already have a ratchet and a breaker bar in the box to use with the sockets.

A pair of slip joint pliers, a pair of needle nose pliers, a pair of vice grips.
Large and small straight bladed screw driver and large and small phillips screw driver.

If you have an allen wrench hole in your lower unit to fill and drain the lower unit, have the correct allen wrench in your tool box.

Spare fuses,for your lights, and engine. Spare bulbs if you have replaceable bulbs in your boat or trailer.

------------
Not in your tool box, but always carry a spare prop for your motor.
Carry an anchor that will hold your boat in all weather, and at least 200 feet of anchor rope in one piece or in sections that can be hooked together.

Take care
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-10-2017, 05:36 PM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by wetsleeves View Post
Putting together a tool bag/box to keep on the boat, curious about assortment of tools everyone keeps in your on board/ on the road tool kit for your boats.
Many good and practical items. If you get all of them you are going to need a bigger boat. Think emergency! The chances of needing a tune up are slim. Jumpers are a must. Same for a temporary prop and wrench to get you back to the dock. A few standard tools are a good Idea. Some kind of communication device to call for help. Knowing how to do a few of the jobs is also important. Bob
Old 03-10-2017, 05:54 PM
Charter Member

Tool and/or tackle box. A dedicated pair of sidecutters for cutting a hook.

Old 03-11-2017, 09:09 AM
Slot Fish

Even jumpers may not be needed. We've simply swapped the batteries completely a couple of times and driven home on the trolling battery. Shouldn't happen (both boats I've had to do it on were 15+ years old) often so as long a you have to tools to move them you can save a little space.
Old 03-11-2017, 12:36 PM
Wallhanger

To save storage space I just ran a pair of wires from the trolling batt to my starter. I connect if needed. That way I do not have to carry jumper cables. Sometimes the trolling batts are kind of buried to easily move them to the back. They Do also have these now https://www.amazon.com/NOCO-GB40-Ult...Battery+jumper

On my last boat the storage lid flipped up and broke my kicker fuel plastic barbed connector just right. I now carry a spare. My new boat does not have a primer bulb on the main motor. I used to carry a spare primer bulb. It was good for the kicker or main motor.
Old 03-11-2017, 05:26 PM
Charter Member

x10 on using permanent jumper wires in the boat.

All of my boat batteries are mounted side by side.
I made a pair of jumper wires that would reach from my starting battery to either of my trolling motor batteries.

I connected the - or black jumper wire from the - terminal of the starting battery to the - terminal of battery 1 trolling motor battery.

Then, I connected both ends of the red or + jumper wire to the + terminal of battery 1 trolling motor. I connect both ends of the jumper wire to the one battery terminal to keep the jumper wire handy and to avoid having any sparks or wire shorting issue.

Then, if I need to have a jump, I just undo the nut from the trolling motor + lug, and remove the red jumper one end from the battery and replace the nut.

Then, I run the red wire over to the + terminal of the starting battery and tighten the lug nut.

After finishing the trip for the day and returning to a charging station, restore the jumper wire to its stored position and recharge all batteries.

Be safe
Old 03-11-2017, 06:44 PM
Keeper

Smile

x10 on the jumpers. I used mine once to boost a stranded boat and he was able to run in on his own and I didn't have to tow him. If yours aren't long enough then just unhook one of yours and put in other boat and boost. Great thread, keep it rolling.
Old 03-13-2017, 04:49 AM
Wallhanger

I agree keep it simple. You shouldn't be doing major repair on the water. As for jumper cables/wire I didn't have them one time and my trolling batteries won't fit in the starting battery compartment. My buddy had to hold the trolling battery from tipping over on the back deck while I drove back to the ramp.
Old 03-17-2017, 08:49 PM
Minnow

Be sure to have a socket that will fit the pee hole plug. I once had a bit of debris totally clog it, and could not verify water pump operation. I eventually did manage to take it off and clear the debris from the pee hole-water pump was working fine-trip saved
Old 03-20-2017, 09:01 PM
Minnow

Default Tool Kits

Toilet Paper....