Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
Double 12" HDS Gen 3 - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Boats, Motors, Electronics and Trailers > Electronics

Notices

Old 03-10-2017, 09:48 AM
Minnow

Default Double 12" HDS Gen 3

Anyone running dual 12" HDS Gen 3's at the helm? I have a single 12' now with a 9" on the bow and I am toying with the idea of adding another 12" at the helm. Thoughts or suggestions?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-12-2017, 08:10 AM
Minnow

Default 2 12"

I've been researching this as well, but I don't see any benefit to spending the extra cash on a GEN3 HDS 12" with the new Elite series 12" TI that is now available. It seems that this new Elite would be a great way to add another large screen without the extra cost. You have most of all the same features, and the ones that are missing could just be utilized on the HDS GEN3 you already have. My concern is that my 12" is flush mounted, and I'm used to having one RAM mounted on council. That was great because it was easy to see from everywhere in boat and could be adjusted or turned to be easily seen. Especially if you like trolling by using the kicker as a tiller. Seated on stern its easily seen when Ram mounted. (or cisco or whatever is preffered)
Old 03-12-2017, 09:57 AM
Keeper

I had 2 HDS 12's at the helm. I felt it was too much. A second unit for navigation is nice, but a 7 or 9 is plenty. If you decide to do two 12's make sure to run separate circuits. The 12's are energy hogs and will starve each other of power. I found this out the hard way.

Old 03-16-2017, 08:16 PM
Minnow

Default Love dual big screen Lowrances

Had 12" mounted above a flush mounted 10" on the dash. Loved the flexibility to split screens Chart, Sonar and SS on the entire 10" below. Usually have 2 or 3 others in the boat and when I get out from behind the steering wheel and stand to fish, everyone in the back of the boat can see the screens and are large enough to not have to stand directly in front of them. I have fished with guides and I was always curious what the structure we are fishing looked like, if we were seeing much for fish etc.

Taking friends fishing and allowing them to be part of the electronics is a big part of why I am spending money on 2-12's at the dash on my new 621 on order. 12" Carbon on top and 12" Gen 3 flush mounted.

Better yet the 3D SS looks to be fantastic and I want to have a full 12" to view that on, maybe a 1/3 of the bottom will be on chart and 2/3 will be on sonar. Each big enough to view easily and yet get the best out of all three functions.

Yea Bird makes 15" screens and some guy will have 2-15" above his dash I guarantee, but at some point seeing where I am going is still part of owning a boat and taking in everything that entails.

Love the 2 - 12" mounted above each other blocking less of your view. 2 - 12" side by side is **** near a windshield and blocks too much view and I would get tired having my face above them and my windshield in the wind just to see.
HDS 10"
HDS 7"
101lb 36V Terrova

Last edited by Boss621Ranger; 03-16-2017 at 08:20 PM.
Old 03-18-2017, 07:45 AM
Wallhanger

I would definitely stay with the HDS line up to have ethernet connections between the units. I personally run 2 9's at the helm and a 3rd 9 I can move from the bow or stern. People often asked why not 12's and simply put its just a lot of screen at the helm. Most guys now have switched to the 2 9's or run a 12 with a 9 or 7. Either way I always like having 2 units at the helm so I dont have to switch panels for controls between sonar and chart.
NPAA #523
Old 03-20-2017, 09:03 PM
Minnow

I agree with skeeter. If you are going to add a second unit to the helm I would go with another HDS. I love having dual HDS units with the networking.
Old 03-20-2017, 11:18 PM
Keeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boss621Ranger View Post
Had 12" mounted above a flush mounted 10" on the dash. Loved the flexibility to split screens Chart, Sonar and SS on the entire 10" below. Usually have 2 or 3 others in the boat and when I get out from behind the steering wheel and stand to fish, everyone in the back of the boat can see the screens and are large enough to not have to stand directly in front of them. I have fished with guides and I was always curious what the structure we are fishing looked like, if we were seeing much for fish etc.

Taking friends fishing and allowing them to be part of the electronics is a big part of why I am spending money on 2-12's at the dash on my new 621 on order. 12" Carbon on top and 12" Gen 3 flush mounted.

Better yet the 3D SS looks to be fantastic and I want to have a full 12" to view that on, maybe a 1/3 of the bottom will be on chart and 2/3 will be on sonar. Each big enough to view easily and yet get the best out of all three functions.

Yea Bird makes 15" screens and some guy will have 2-15" above his dash I guarantee, but at some point seeing where I am going is still part of owning a boat and taking in everything that entails.

Love the 2 - 12" mounted above each other blocking less of your view. 2 - 12" side by side is **** near a windshield and blocks too much view and I would get tired having my face above them and my windshield in the wind just to see.
I have a 619 on order and can't see how you plan to mount the one on top without pretty much blocking your view while sitting. While I happen to love the redesigned Ranger console, the space above just appears too small to accommodate another 12. I had a 2014 Reata LS and moved some gauges and purchased a custom mount from Bass Boat Technologies and mounted 2 1199's side by side. It was a perfect setup and I could see right over the 1199's with no obstructions. With the Ranger FS, this will not be possible and so I'm going with an HDS 12 flush mount and perhaps an HDS 9 on top. It's already wired but, I want to sit inside to make sure it doesn't obstruct my view. That to me is of utmost importance as a safe boater although I would absolutely LOVE 2 12's on my boat. Is there anyone with a Ranger FS with an idea for 2 12's? Pictures? Thanks
Old 03-21-2017, 05:04 PM
Minnow

[QUOTE=bernmaster44;5411170]I have a 619 on order and can't see how you plan to mount the one on top without pretty much blocking your view while sitting. While I happen to love the redesigned Ranger console, the space above just appears too small to accommodate another 12. I had a 2014 Reata LS and moved some gauges and purchased a custom mount from Bass Boat Technologies and mounted 2 1199's side by side. It was a perfect setup and I could see right over the 1199's with no obstructions. With the Ranger FS, this will not be possible and so I'm going with an HDS 12 flush mount and perhaps an HDS 9 on top. It's already wired but, I want to sit inside to make sure it doesn't obstruct my view. That to me is of utmost importance as a safe boater although I would absolutely LOVE 2 12's on my boat. Is there anyone with a Ranger FS with an idea for 2 12's? Pictures? Thanks[/QUOTE

Click image for larger version

Name:	2017-Ranger-621FS-Merc-350V-99PK-31.jpg
Views:	66
Size:	65.8 KB
ID:	249362

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1348.jpg
Views:	83
Size:	434.2 KB
ID:	249386

Here is my last 621 with 10" flush in dash and 12" above. My new 621 FS is on order but not in yet, but I plan on putting my 12" Carbon above the flush mounted 12" like in this picture. Granted a 16" would be a problem but I don't see why two 12's is gonna be an issue? Sure the 12 on top is in the windshield and blocks a little view but not straight ahead. Yes you need to check and look around to be safe but two side by side are gonna be in my straight ahead view even if only a little. When I'm doing 25-35 mph in rain or light rain, I wanna stay down behind the windshield and not take those little B-B's of rain off the face when peeking above a screen.

To each their own, at least we bought the right boats!!!
HDS 10"
HDS 7"
101lb 36V Terrova