Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
Salmo - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Walleye Message Central > Strictly Fishing

Notices

Old 03-20-2017, 08:45 PM
Keeper

Default Salmo

Has anyone used the Salmo crankbaits? I just picked up a few of the hornets to give them a shot. I see the guys on Fishing the Midwest have been using them for a while. Thought I would give them a shot.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-20-2017, 09:08 PM
Charter Member

I use the Hornets side by side with Flicker Shads and Shad Raps, trolling w/boards. Hornets do not catch any more fish for me, and locally they are $8 vs $4 for the Flicker Shads. Salmo helps sponsor F. T. Midwest, along with Jason Mitchel's show, so of course they have to use them on the show. Gregory
Old 03-20-2017, 09:46 PM
Minnow

I usually run flickers and shad raps on my boards, and keep the Salmo in hand. The action on a Salmo is almost indescribable. Hard tail wobbling action, OK maybe it is describable. You can feel everything from tapping bottom between that walleye tap, to getting just a small strand of weeds on it better than any other bait I've used of that size. It really seems to shine mid summer where as the flickers and shad raps seem to do better for me in the early and late seasons. That being said there are still those days when the flicker or rap get all the hits. I think the key is to run all 3 if you can since they are 3 different profiled baits with 3 different actions. Salmos also cast pretty **** far for how small they are. I know it seems most people like the #4 and #5's best, but the #6's have produced more walleye for me than either of them.

Old 03-21-2017, 07:10 AM
Wallhanger

Salmos have their place in my boat. I seem to do better early on with them after ice out in the #4 and $5's and switch to flicker shads and minnows a few weeks after.
Old 03-21-2017, 08:21 AM
Wallhanger

I use the 4.5 Rattling Hornets, and 5 and 6 Hornets a lot. They do cost more than Flicker Shads, but they definitely catch a lot of walleyes for me. The hooks are better than Flick Shads and they generally run true out of the box and don't need constant tuning like Flick Shads. I use Hornets both casting and trolling.
I also use Flick Shads and Shad Raps a lot and never know what the best crank will be on any particular day (if there is one) until I experiment.
Old 03-21-2017, 01:33 PM
cutting edge

The Salmo Hornet is a bait that everyone should have a couple of, in their tackle box (IMO). I also think that an underused & not often mentioned bait, that I have had really good success with is the Salmo Bullhead, it catches fish and it has a unique profile and overall look (action is great ). Sizes I use are 4, 4.5, 5, and 6 for Hornets with #5 Hornet my most used. For the Bullhead I like the 6 and 8 with the #6 being my most used.

Good Luck!
Old 03-21-2017, 01:48 PM
Slot Fish

only my experience so take it for what its worth. A lot of days Hornets wont catch any more fish then a flicker shad or shad rap.....but when they are ON they are ON. Have to keep a few on hand and put one out at least for awhile. They do well on most lakes we fish.

Eyes by Day, Eyes by Night
Old 03-21-2017, 02:01 PM
Minnow

The Salmo Minnow is another good one. Same action as the hornet in a minnow profile, and it wobbles at the slowest of speeds.
Old 03-22-2017, 01:07 PM
Keeper

Good info here guys. Thanks!
Old 03-22-2017, 01:57 PM
Keeper

Default what crank???

thought i would never run anything but rapala cranks...UNTIL i ran a salmo #4 on one rod and my fav #5 on the other...handsdown salmo.......it has been 5yrs since that test ......now found bait that out fishes salmo....rattlin salmo......[ flicker shads catch some fish but i get tired of fixing the cheap hooks.]........... first thought the bills on salmo would be too fragile but have never had to tune one yet. i use 10# mono gives bait a lazier wobble[my 2 cents] braid misses alot of short strikes or fish hit and let go...wish salmo had more colors!!!! price??? wait for fleet farm to have their sale!!!

Last edited by crankerGuy; 03-22-2017 at 02:01 PM.