Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
Help Replacing Fuel Lines - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Walleye Message Central > General Discussion

Notices

Old 03-20-2017, 09:24 PM
Minnow

Default Help Replacing Fuel Lines

I'm in the process of overhauling my dad's boat and my next project is to replace the fuel lines. The boat is a 1987 Lund Predator with a Yamaha Pro50 and it still has the original fuel lines. I can get to the tank by removing a central floor panel so I don't think access will be a problem. I'm going to add a Racor water separator in the splash well while I'm at it as well.

My problem is that I don't know what to buy as far as replacement components goes. I have no idea what kind of attachment connects to the tank itself. I'm just going to lay out some thoughts here.

The attachments at the end of the line that plug into the motor, are they universal do I need to find a yamaha specific one? Mine is leaky, so I'll need a new one.

Do I need to drain my gas tank before removing the old lines?

I'll need to cut the new fuel lines to different lengths for the fuel separator etc and I have no idea if there is a specific cutter I'm supposed to use or will a utility knife do the job?

What type of attachment is there to the tank itself? Is it something that plugs in like at the motor, or something I clamp on?

Thanks for your help guys,

WW
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-20-2017, 10:11 PM
Charter Member

If it's an internal fuel tank which it sounds like it is. Meaning you can't remove the tanks to throw in the back of your truck and go to a gas station to fill them, think of the old school metal red gas tanks in boats that were about 6 gallons.

Internal tank it's most likely just a plain old hose clamp attaching fuel line to the hose barb. Undo that and use screwdriver to pry off. You may need to slit it with utility knife first, they tend to stick real good after being on that long. No need to drain fuel tank. You will need to see the hose barb size in order to purchase new fuel line. Sometimes size will be printed on the hose itself but that may be faded away on that old of boat. Utility knife works just fine to cut fuel line.
Old 03-20-2017, 10:18 PM
Wallhanger

They do make hose cutters. They work very well getting a nice sharp cut. 10-15 bucks at auto supply or Amazon. https://www.amazon.com/Gates-91153-H.../dp/B000CRDM06

Here is a post of mine on hoses. I had trouble with the cheap store bought hoses for my kicker. The inner sleeve part fell apart and pluged the hose. I replaced it with this hose. They make both sizes. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

The built in tanks are normally barbed connections that you use hose clamps on.

You will need a Yamaha brand connecter for your motor. I am not crazy about the third party connectors. Some of the connectors are for diffrent size hoses. They have a different size hose barb. See if there is some printing on the old hose. Might tell you what size to buy. Do not forget you will also need a primer bulb. The oem Yamaha or Mercury ones are nice.

Old 03-21-2017, 01:24 AM
Wallhanger

For under-deck use, I like Trident Marine #365 A1-15 hose, they also make a B1-15 #305 for above-deck (splashwell) use.

Whatever you buy, the current spec is the -15 version, compatible with higher levels of ethanol.

http://tridentmarine.com/product-category/hose/fuel/

HRG
Old 03-21-2017, 01:55 AM
Wallhanger

Years ago I had a 1988 Lund Renegade, which was the exact boat as yours except was the console version. It's been awhile, so my memory is a bit rusty on the exact details, but I had replaced the fuel lines, and remember it being pretty easy. The tank on that boat is a metal 11 gallon tank.

As I recall ,The floor comes up real easy, and will expose everything you need to get to. Go ahead and pull it up, you will see what you need to do. I'm pretty sure, at the tank it was just a fitting on top of the tank fuel pickup assembly,that the line simply attached to with a hose clamp. Remove the old line, take a sample with you so you can match inner diameter when you buy new stuff. You need to buy marine type coast guard approved ethanol resistant line,as referenced by HRG. They may have it at an auto parts store, but a marine dealer parts counter will for sure. If this is original fuel line you are WAY overdue, especially if been using fuel with ethanol. Your original fuel line would not even have been of the type to handle ethanol.

I cannot remember every detail, I believe the fuel pickup itself can be removed. There may be a debris screen on the bottom of the pickup tube in the tank,you may want to inspect and clean. May want to also replace the filler line and vent, which on that boat, are on the port side gunwale,near the front of the boat.

Regarding the connector at the motor, assuming a "quick disconnect" type,they are not universal,although some of the Merc connectors seem to fit some Yamahas. There can be multiple parts that fit the motor, but the difference will be the diameter or the barb. You need to match it for the inner diameter of the fuel line you are using.

With the age of that rig, you may also want to consider replacing the motor's internal fuel lines under the cowl. If original, they are likely pretty ratty.

Last edited by MarkG; 03-21-2017 at 02:02 AM.
Old 03-21-2017, 08:39 AM
Minnow

Thanks for all the advice so far guys. I can't say enough about the help I get on this forum.

As far as the hose clamps go, are there particular (special) ones to get or will your run of the mill hose clamp work?

Mark, it's interesting you talked about replacing the filler line because I may need to do something with my gas cap/filler spout. The rubber gasket that holds the cap onto the spout disintegrated and fell off last year. The problem is I can't find a replacement cap for my boat (pic below). Too old I guess. So I may have to just buy a whole new cap/spout combination and replace my old one.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20170321_092548826.jpg
Views:	82
Size:	516.3 KB
ID:	249242   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20170321_092559406.jpg
Views:	81
Size:	508.7 KB
ID:	249250  
Old 03-21-2017, 08:45 AM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Willey walleye View Post
Mark, it's interesting you talked about replacing the filler line because I may need to do something with my gas cap/filler spout. The rubber gasket that holds the cap onto the spout disintegrated and fell off last year. The problem is I can't find a replacement cap for my boat (pic below). Too old I guess. So I may have to just buy a whole new cap/spout combination and replace my old one.
no, no, no, no. No need to replace the entire filler assembly just because of a gasket. What ID/OD do you need, if you have to buy a small piece of Buna-N gasket material and cut your own out.

https://www.mcmaster.com/#standard-gaskets/=16unp28

https://www.mcmaster.com/#standard-gaskets/=16unqdi

HRG
Old 03-21-2017, 09:01 AM
Minnow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hot Runr Guy View Post
no, no, no, no. No need to replace the entire filler assembly just because of a gasket. What ID/OD do you need, if you have to buy a small piece of Buna-N gasket material and cut your own out.

https://www.mcmaster.com/#standard-gaskets/=16unp28

https://www.mcmaster.com/#standard-gaskets/=16unqdi

HRG
That would work for the gasket part. My bigger concern is there is nothing holding the cap when unscrewed. The old gasket had a tag end that would run from the cap to the filler assembly. In the pic below the red represents the gasket and the blue arrow shows where the gasket terminated at the filler assembly which kept the cap from falling off when fueling. We do a lot of on the water fueling, so I'm paranoid the cap will get knocked into the water and be gone forever.

I suppose if I got a sheet of the gasket material I could cut out my own with the tag end and all?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	InkedIMG_20170321_092559406_LI.jpg
Views:	67
Size:	510.1 KB
ID:	249266  
Old 03-21-2017, 09:12 AM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Willey walleye View Post
T

I suppose if I got a sheet of the gasket material I could cut out my own with the tag end and all?
you could make your own tether, or have you looked at an auto parts store? They sell replacement tethers like shown here;

http://www.autozone.com/fuel-delivery/gas-cap-tether

HRG
Old 03-21-2017, 09:58 AM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hot Runr Guy View Post
you could make your own tether, or have you looked at an auto parts store? They sell replacement tethers like shown here;

http://www.autozone.com/fuel-delivery/gas-cap-tether

HRG
I would agree it's unnecessary to replace the whole filler just for a gasket and tether. I never had a tether on mine, I just made sure if filling at a gas dock, I did not drop the cap in the water. Careful while removing, then place it IN the boat. Not sure I would trust a tether anyway. It did, after all, break.

BUT...They not that expensive if you wanted to replace the whole assembly. Just pay attention to the size of the inner hose diameter,which will be determined by the fitting on the tank. Also some of the fillers have an attachment for the vent hose. Pay attention to that,as to if you need that or not. I cannot remember if those boats used a separate vent hose from the tank, or just vented the filler. Search Amazon

I do remember, when full, because of the location of the filler and vent, the gas had a tendency to slosh out of the vent. Filling tip...! If gassing up at a dock, NEVER stand inside the boat at the bow while gassing up. And if possible have someone stand at the back to get the bow up a bit. Otherwise you will never get the tank filled,it will slosh out the filler. Lund finally got smart and in later models moved the filler to the stern area.

Last edited by MarkG; 03-21-2017 at 10:01 AM.