Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
Favorite Walleye Recipe! - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Walleye Message Central > General Discussion

Notices

Old 03-04-2010, 10:38 AM
Slot Fish

Default Favorite Walleye Recipe!

I don't know if this has been done before but sounds like a good one. Please share your favorite walleye recipe with everyone. We all have walleye fever this time of year and can't wait to get on the water, soft that is. Here is mine that we really enjoy while at fish camp at Deer Path Lodge by Hudson, ON.

1. Get your favorite beer and get 3 bowls, a ziplock bag and an outdoor fish fryer.

2. Get your ingredients. milk, flour, beaten eggs and cracker crumbs with you favorite seasoning. I use Lowrys. Add ceyanne pepper if you like it hot. Take a drink of beer.

3. Set OUTDOOR fryer up OUTSIDE for the sue happy people as they are meant to be OUTSIDE. Fill with peanut oil, has to be peanut oil because regular veg oil will make fish greasy, take a drink of beer. Heat oil to 350-375. Dont let it get any hotter than that cuz it will burn the fish and is dangerous.

4. While oil is heating up it is time to start breading fish, take a drink. You dip the fish in milk, it makes the flour stick, dip in flour, makes the egg stick, dip in egg, bet ya cant guess what sticks to the egg? The cracker crumbs. Throw a few pieces at a time in ziplock bag and shake up while drinking beer. Repeat til all fish is breaded.

5. Get another beer and take a drink. Oil should be hot by now so it is time to cook it. Place a few pieces at a time in fryer basket and lower into hot oil. Cook walleye 4-5 min or til golden brown. Make sure oil doesn't get above 375 degrees. Drink beer while fish is cookin. Once fish is done, remove from fryer and drain on paper towel and cover. Its ok to sneek a piece or two when your fishin buddies aren't lookin. Repeat til all fish is done.

6. Get another beer, shut fryer off and sit down and enjoy. In our camp if you prepare the walleye, ya don't have to do anything else that night. Somebody else gets the rest of the food ready and cleans up.

This is my favorite way to eat walleye. It is kind of time consuming and a little messy, during the flour and egg part, but it is delicious. I made walleye this way for my 80 year Grandma and she said it was the best she had ever had and could eat it everyday. Thats my story and I'm stickin to it. Now share yours.

Last edited by counterguy; 03-04-2010 at 10:43 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-04-2010, 12:02 PM
Keeper

I have 2 that I really like and they are simple.

1. Wet your walleye filllets and roll them in dry drake's mix. Season them with Lawrys season salt and lemon pepper. Fry them in olive oil until they are a dark golded brown and serve.

2. Get one of those grill racks that you can lay a fillet in an flip without the thing falling apart. Season the fillet with lawrys and montreal steak seasoning. Put it on the grill and just before it is done sprinkle parmesan cheese on it. Let the cheese melt and serve.

HUNT HARD, SHOOT STRAIGHT, KILL CLEAN, APOLOGIZE TO NO ONE!!

You don't hunt or fish? I SEE NO POINT IN TALKING TO YOU!!
Old 03-04-2010, 12:19 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knot Tellin View Post
2. Get one of those grill racks that you can lay a fillet in an flip without the thing falling apart. Season the fillet with lawrys and montreal steak seasoning. Put it on the grill and just before it is done sprinkle parmesan cheese on it. Let the cheese melt and serve.
Dang! That sounds GOOD! I'm going to try that one this summer.

As for recipes....here's the link to Walleye Central's "Cook Your Catch"...
http://www.walleyecentral.com/recipe.shtml

If you haven't submitted your favorite Walleye recipes, please do!

Juls
NPAA#89

Supporting Vendor
Guide (Lake Erie Western Basin)
JulsWalleyeFishingAdventures.com

2017 Ranger 621 FS
300 G2
15 ETEC Kicker
112 Ulterra w/iPilot LINK
Humminbird Helix 12 SI CHIRP Gen2
and Helix 10 DI CHIRP Gen2

Old 03-04-2010, 12:24 PM
Keeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by counterguy View Post
I don't know if this has been done before but sounds like a good one. Please share your favorite walleye recipe with everyone. We all have walleye fever this time of year and can't wait to get on the water, soft that is. Here is mine that we really enjoy while at fish camp at Deer Path Lodge by Hudson, ON.

1. Get your favorite beer and get 3 bowls, a ziplock bag and an outdoor fish fryer.

2. Get your ingredients. milk, flour, beaten eggs and cracker crumbs with you favorite seasoning. I use Lowrys. Add ceyanne pepper if you like it hot. Take a drink of beer.

3. Set OUTDOOR fryer up OUTSIDE for the sue happy people as they are meant to be OUTSIDE. Fill with peanut oil, has to be peanut oil because regular veg oil will make fish greasy, take a drink of beer. Heat oil to 350-375. Dont let it get any hotter than that cuz it will burn the fish and is dangerous.

4. While oil is heating up it is time to start breading fish, take a drink. You dip the fish in milk, it makes the flour stick, dip in flour, makes the egg stick, dip in egg, bet ya cant guess what sticks to the egg? The cracker crumbs. Throw a few pieces at a time in ziplock bag and shake up while drinking beer. Repeat til all fish is breaded.

5. Get another beer and take a drink. Oil should be hot by now so it is time to cook it. Place a few pieces at a time in fryer basket and lower into hot oil. Cook walleye 4-5 min or til golden brown. Make sure oil doesn't get above 375 degrees. Drink beer while fish is cookin. Once fish is done, remove from fryer and drain on paper towel and cover. Its ok to sneek a piece or two when your fishin buddies aren't lookin. Repeat til all fish is done.

6. Get another beer, shut fryer off and sit down and enjoy. In our camp if you prepare the walleye, ya don't have to do anything else that night. Somebody else gets the rest of the food ready and cleans up.

This is my favorite way to eat walleye. It is kind of time consuming and a little messy, during the flour and egg part, but it is delicious. I made walleye this way for my 80 year Grandma and she said it was the best she had ever had and could eat it everyday. Thats my story and I'm stickin to it. Now share yours.
This exactly how I cook all my walleye fillets,never found a better recipe!!!!

Just sometimes I substitute the bread crumbs for cracker crumbs,kids seem to like that better,and it gets crispier.
Old 03-04-2010, 12:28 PM
Keeper

By the way some say there is a Japanese brand bread crumbs thats suppose to be awesome,I just never seen it on the shelves.I use Progresso Italian,never cheat yourself with cheap bread-crumbs!!!
Old 03-04-2010, 03:08 PM
Minnow

Panko bread crumbs. Usually in the grocery "ethnic section"

Panko is a Japanese-style breadcrumb traditionally used as a coating for deep-fried foods such as tonkatsu. The biggest difference between panko and standard breadcrumbs is that panko is made from bread without crusts, says Pam Becker, media representative for Progresso, which makes both types.

Panko’s crustless bread is coarsely ground into airy, large flakes that give fried foods a light, crunchy coating. The flakes tend to stay crispier longer than standard breadcrumbs because they don’t absorb as much grease.
Although predominantly used in Asian cuisine, panko has been gaining popularity in Western dishes, for example as an excellent topping for Eggplant Parmesan and as a binding agent for crab cakes or Veggie Burgers.
Old 03-04-2010, 03:19 PM
Wallhanger

Default This ones hard to beat

1/4 cup macadamia nuts chopped
1/4 tsp papriaka
2 fish fillets- 6 oz each and about 1 1/4" thick

combine nuts and papriaka, mix well. arrange fillets on small baking pan. carefully sprinkle nut mixture over topfs of fillets, forming an even layer. Bake 12 mins or until fish flakes easily with a fork.

serve with the following Salsa:
2 small firm, ripe nectarines, pitted and diced
1/4 cup finely diced red bel pepper
2 tbsp thinly sliced green onion tops
2 tbsp lime juice
1/2 to 1 jaopeno pepper, seeded and finely chopped
1/4 tsp salt

combine in bowl and mix well, serve with fish.

Alright..i'll also give ya the pistachio recipe since i'm typing all this anyways.

Walleye in a Pistachio Crust

1 1/2 cups pistachios, coarsely chopped
1/1/2 cup bread crumbs
1/2 tsp salt
1/4 tsp black pepper
1 cup flour
2 eggs lightly beaten
2 tbsps milk
4 skinless 6 ounce fillets
4 tbsp butter
4 tbsp oil

Combine pistachios, bread crumbs, salt, and pepper. Place on a sheet of wax paper. Pour flour on another sheet of wax paper.
In bowl, whisk together eggs and milk.
Dry walleye fillets. Dredge in flour, dip in egg mixture and coat with pistachio and bread crumb mixture.
In large skillet, melt 2 tblsps. Butter with 2 tblsps oil. Add 2 fillets and sauté over medium heat until golden brown on both sides.
Transfer to platter and repeat with the other 2 fillets.

Serve with Artichoke tartar sauce:
1 cup pureed canned artichokes
3 tablespoons minced onion
1 cup mayo
cayenne pepper to taste.
blend together and chill for one hour.
Old 03-04-2010, 03:21 PM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by JETSTER View Post
This exactly how I cook all my walleye fillets,never found a better recipe!!!!

Just sometimes I substitute the bread crumbs for cracker crumbs,kids seem to like that better,and it gets

crispier.

Exactly how I cook mine except I sustitute Crown Royal for the Beer.
Old 03-04-2010, 05:04 PM
Wallhanger

We eat a ton of walleyes. Good for ya, dont you know.

A couple of differences
1. I like the crushed corn flakes. Very crispy on the outside, tender on the inside.
2. Jim beam instead of crown.
3. Add BLT to it. So, a walleye BLT sammich. MMMMMMMMMM good.
Old 03-04-2010, 05:38 PM
Supporting Vendor

Default Walleye Lasagna

I am not much for recipes, just make it up as I go.

Use Alfredo sauce instead of Marinara (red) sauce. What ever your favorite recipe is for the sauce works. I use the cheap $.89 packets.

Start with a layer of noodles, then a layer of your favorite cheeses.

I use them all, parm, ricotta, moz, and cottage. Then a layer of sauce. Then a layer of noodles. Then a layer of browned walleye.

I put the fillets hole in the skillet with olive oil, butter, garlic and onions. Brown them till done, then smash it all up. You could try to layer the fillets, but it really won't matter.

Another layer of sauce, another layer of noodle, more cheese, more sauce.

I have done this a few times now and it is a little different each time. My family seems to enjoy it a lot.

Some nice Italian wine and a good bread stick with a salad and it is move over Olive Garden.

Johnnie Candle