Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
Favorite Walleye Recipe! - Page 3 - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Walleye Message Central > General Discussion

Notices

Old 03-08-2010, 08:15 PM
Wallhanger

Lunker, I've always used canned.

Quote:
Originally Posted by @Lunker View Post
RE the artichoke tartar sauce, do you use plain canned artichoke hearts, or the marinated ones?

One of my favorite recipes:

Dip the filets in beaten egg. Shake in a ziploc with half grated parmesan cheese and half Italian bread crumbs. Fry gently to golden brown in olive oil.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-08-2010, 09:20 PM
Wallhanger

Ritz crackers, zip lock bag, rolling pin = crumbs. Dip in egg, crumbs, fry.
Old 03-08-2010, 10:04 PM
Wallhanger

I ditto the tortilla for a taco with the fish. We take a ton of tortillas with us and use them for shore lunch all the time. Way better than just eating plain battered fish filets.

We cut the fish into strips or small chunks and then batter and fry them. Then put them in a tortilla.

They are nice because you don't have to worry aobut squishing them like bread/buns and you can take bags of shredded lettuce, crumbled bacon etc. Throw some ranch or wing sauce on it bam. A very simple way to spice up a shore lunch.

Old 03-09-2010, 04:33 PM
Keeper

Default Walleye Au Gratin

1 lb fillets
2 TSP veg oil
juice of 1 lemon
2 Tsp butter
1 small onion--chopped
1 10 oz pkg frozen spinach--thawed/drained and chopped
1/4 tsp ground nutmeg
1/2 cup shredded mozz cheese

Saute fillets in hot oil and lemon juice and cook 2 mins on each side. remove from skillet and set aside. Melt butter in skillet and add onion and spinach. Season w salt/pepper to taste and add nutmeg. Saute 2 mins and remove from heat. Spread spinach mixture in bottom of a baking dish and top with walleye. place tomato on top of walleye and sprinkle with cheese. Bake @ 375 for about 6 mins or and cheese melts and fish is done....Serve immediately.
Old 03-13-2010, 03:27 PM
Minnow

You need lawrys garlic salt, johnys seasoning salt, dill, eggs, panko, flour lemons, and parmesan cheese m m mm
Old 03-13-2010, 04:37 PM
Charter Member

Smile Favorite Recipe

Shore Lunch mix cut 50/50 with corn meal and pan fried or deep fried. A healthier choice that we use is a little margarine or butter and saute skinned filets with a little garlic salt on them. They cook in about 4 min per side on medium heat.

"Who is John Galt?"

Standing by on 68 --- Chasin Tales
Old 03-15-2010, 01:59 PM
Keeper

Default My recipe with a little twist

Take filets:
Dip in buttermilt:
Dip in either shorelunch batter or drakes batter:
Then dip in Panko:
deep fry until golden brown;

You will love it.
Old 03-15-2010, 05:39 PM
Keeper

I generally avoid bread, flour, crackers, and all things starchy due to the fact that it makes me fat. As long as I avoid that crap, I can stay relatively fit. So what is a low-carb walleye eater to do? I do a few things...

I dehydrate low-carb bread and make breadcrumbs from it (brownberry's low carb bread works great). Super easy. I then mix in thyme, basil, parsley, salt, pepper, and whatever meets my fancy with the crumbs. I dip the fish in an egg/milk beaten mix and then lightly sprinkle some of the mixture over it. Then I sprinkle ground almond meal/flour (you can get this at the grocery store, but it ain't cheap!) over it as well. The almond adds a great nutty flavor and is very low in carbs (I believe the Mpls chain of Axels, Bonfire, Rudy's uses this).

I pan fry the fillets with butter and a little oil. I prefer pan-fried walleye to deep fried. Not sure how well my low-carb mix would work with deep frying as I haven't tried. Generally, I can keep my walleye meals below 10 carbs per person for those who care about carb content.
Old 03-19-2010, 10:15 PM
Minnow

I agree pan fried in butter is much better than oily fish. The almond flour sounds really good I'll have to try that.
Old 03-31-2010, 12:11 PM
Wallhanger

Our Canada groups favorite recipe:

Canít Believe Itís Not Butter Spray
Freshly grated Asiago cheese (I get the one from Samís Club)
Lemon Pepper
Paprika
Basil
Some Walleye would help too

Dry the filets between 2or3 paper towels. Spray one side with butter spray, sprinkle with lemon pepper and paprika. Turn over onto foil covered baking sheet or pan and spray other side. Sprinkle with lemon pepper, paprika, and a small amount of dried basil.
Bake for 15 min @ 375 degrees. Remove from oven, and cover with the Asiago cheese.
Bake @ 400 degrees for 5 minutes. Enjoy!

Some of the recipes are incorrect: all walleye should be cooked while having a gin & tonic!