Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
Waterfowl hunting In Canada - WOW!! - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Hunting Central > Small Game and Birds

Notices

Old 11-18-2012, 03:54 PM
Minnow

Default Waterfowl hunting In Canada - WOW!!

I'd been interested in waterfowl hunting since I first started hunting. I'd done the slogging in the marsh and fields before and was looking for another type of experience. A first rate one with near guaranteed success and a place that can teach me tips I can take away with me back home to my local marsh and fields.

After some research, reviewing boards and talking to seasoned hunters "in the know" I came across one name several times. 'Bradley Hunting Club' (which is a public club). The place has history..almost 100 years in fact and 80 year in the hunting business...not a 'fly by night' (pun intended ) outfitter and i've read about several times, ripping folks off of their hard earned money.

I called the Bradley Club and chatted with Jane Bradley, a third generation Bradley and hunter herself. She explained how the 3000 acre property are farmed and managed to maximize the hunter's experience and bird migration/return success rate. Her insight and outstanding knowledge sold me. I had to hunt at Bradley! My buddy and I booked our hunt for mid October and began to count down the days.

Sunday night arrived and we left Toronto for our 3 hour drive. We arrived and settled in. What a GREAT Lodge and club house.

The next morning we had a bite to eat, some coffee and were met by our guide Mike who picked us up at the club house and took us out for a marsh hunt. Once at the dock, we boarded out jon boat and poled out to our blind. It was the NICEST blind i've ever been in. Dry, perfectly built and VERY easy to hunt from. Once the sun started to poke out Mike began to call. All of the decoys & mojos had already been set up as the season was underway. The area just behind the marsh we hunted was as sanctuary. The action was fast and furious, our hearts were pumping as we sat back until the last second, then GO TIME!! The duck flew all around us, and we did VERY well. Every time we got one. The guide and Ellie (our AWSOME black lab retriever) would spring into action and retrieve our game. It was SO great! We saw them all, pintails, ringnecks, geese, etc. At times in the distance it looked like a black cloud was coming in, but it was not rain, it was waterfowl!! My buddy and I must have said "WOW" about 1000 times that morning. Before we knew it we limited out. WOW again! It was my BEST HUNT EVER.

After a few pics, lunch and exchanging hunt stories back in clubhouse over some 'pops' with our 10 new American pals from Tennessee we walked around the grounds for bit. It was that group's 4-5th time there. They love Canada. SO PROUD to be Canadian!

What a great place. Lot's of family history and stories to be shared by the Bradley "family" (staff & Bradley relatives alike) who run the club.

Upon packing up and saying our goodbyes we were given our ducks, cleaned and packed ready for our trip home (small added cost but well worth it).

Next time we'll have to try one of their other hunts. Cut corn, flooded corn, or dry field.

I've added some pics here but more loaded here.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/cacciai...th/8197637732/

For hunt info connect with Jane Bradley at www.bradleyhuntclub.ca/ Tell her Roberto sent ya!. Glad to share any more info just reply here or msg me.

thanks!
Bassive1!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	8197609852_ffa8818280.jpg
Views:	569
Size:	115.8 KB
ID:	18984   Click image for larger version

Name:	8197615352_b1f235e755.jpg
Views:	596
Size:	170.7 KB
ID:	18985   Click image for larger version

Name:	8196483543_1981c5dc79.jpg
Views:	581
Size:	115.5 KB
ID:	18986   Click image for larger version

Name:	8196528349_e45eb2ac4e.jpg
Views:	593
Size:	149.2 KB
ID:	18987   Click image for larger version

Name:	8196499145_1a23a1c23c.jpg
Views:	542
Size:	115.2 KB
ID:	18988  

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-28-2012, 01:22 PM
Keeper

looks wonderful. Could never go bird hunting and leave my lab at home.
Old 12-15-2014, 12:15 AM
Minnow

The next morning we had a bite to eat, some coffee and were met by our guide Mike who picked us up at the club house and took us out for a marsh hunt. Once at the dock, we boarded out jon boat and poled out to our blind. It was the NICEST blind i've ever been in. Dry, perfectly built and VERY easy to hunt from. Once the sun started to poke out Mike began to call. All of the decoys & mojos had already been set up as the season was underway. The area just behind the marsh we hunted was as sanctuary. The action was fast and furious, our hearts were pumping as we sat back until the last second, then GO TIME!! The duck flew all around us, and we did VERY well. Every time we got one. The guide and Ellie (our AWSOME black lab retriever) would spring into action and retrieve our game. It was SO great! We saw them all, pintails, ringnecks, geese, etc. At times in the distance it looked like a black cloud was coming in, but it was not rain, it was waterfowl!! My buddy and I must have said "WOW" about 1000 times that morning. Before we knew it we limited out. WOW again! It was my BEST HUNT EVER.

Old 12-15-2014, 08:07 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by lacywbosu View Post
looks wonderful. Could never go bird hunting and leave my lab at home.
There are many outfitters in Canada that will allow you to bring a dog.

I went to Saskatoon area in Saskatchewan 5 years ago. We drove 27 hours just because we wanted to bring a dog and didn't want to switch planes 3 times to do it, not to mention bringing ammo across the border.

Great experience, we killed over 500 birds while I was there and I got to shoot my first spec.

Canada is a trip you must do at least once in your lifetime if you are a waterfowl hunter.

I included a picture of Zeke bringing back a bird. He lost 10 pounds while in Canada, he was so tired at night he didn't want to eat. We had to start lacing his food with eggs and other foods to keep his interest. He did an amazing job!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Zeke in Canada.jpg
Views:	224
Size:	164.9 KB
ID:	121546  
Old 12-19-2014, 05:29 PM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pezman38 View Post
There are many outfitters in Canada that will allow you to bring a dog.

I went to Saskatoon area in Saskatchewan 5 years ago. We drove 27 hours just because we wanted to bring a dog and didn't want to switch planes 3 times to do it, not to mention bringing ammo across the border.

Great experience, we killed over 500 birds while I was there and I got to shoot my first spec.

Canada is a trip you must do at least once in your lifetime if you are a waterfowl hunter.

I included a picture of Zeke bringing back a bird. He lost 10 pounds while in Canada, he was so tired at night he didn't want to eat. We had to start lacing his food with eggs and other foods to keep his interest. He did an amazing job!
Sounds amazing. what is the rules on bringing weapons up now? Want to do that next fall
Old 12-20-2014, 04:52 PM
Wallhanger

Google "firearms to Canada", download the form.
Fill out the form EXCEPT for your signature. No handguns or other concealable weapons (mace, personal-sized pepper spray, etc.) or semiauto rifles. 5 boxes of shotgun shells won't raise any eyebrows.
Canada encourages pepper spray that says "bear" on the can.
Old 12-22-2014, 04:50 AM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil T View Post
Google "firearms to Canada", download the form.
Fill out the form EXCEPT for your signature. No handguns or other concealable weapons (mace, personal-sized pepper spray, etc.) or semiauto rifles. 5 boxes of shotgun shells won't raise any eyebrows.
Canada encourages pepper spray that says "bear" on the can.
thanks
Old 12-22-2014, 06:57 AM
Super Moderator

I also brought a backup gun when I went, I would encourage you to as well.
Old 01-02-2015, 05:25 PM
Wallhanger

I was looking through all the different outfitters sites. One mentioned you can bring your own ammo through into canada if you follow certain procedures. Know anything about that?
Old 01-05-2015, 06:59 AM
Super Moderator

Our group brought 10 cases into Canada with us. No one at the border even asked about it so I'm pretty sure they don't care. They do care about dogs and we had several forms filled out and ready, same with guns.

The ammo might be on a list somewhere that they might ask you to pay some duty on it. But a case of 3" steel in the US range from 120-170 and in Canada that would be around 240. So buy in the USA and bring across with you.