Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
Lac seul lake map chip - Page 2 - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Canada Eh? > Canada

Notices

Old 04-12-2013, 11:22 AM
Keeper

Something worth mentioning. Navionics will soon be releasing (or maybe they already have) their SonarCharts program also. It will only work with Platinum Navionics cards, but essentially you will be able to upload sonar logs online, and a day or two later be able to download contour data from yours, and other peoples contributions as a separate layer on your map.
Basically, you'll be able to start collecting data to generate contour maps for places that don't have very good data.

Another idea I've had, is buying a software program called DrDepth. Same concept, you can import saved sonar logs and create your own lake contour maps.

More than likely, I'll buy DrDepth soon. From the youtube videos and information I've seen, it looks like a nice program with some cool features.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-12-2013, 11:56 AM
Slot Fish

Quote:
Originally Posted by CamoHunter View Post
Something worth mentioning. Navionics will soon be releasing (or maybe they already have) their SonarCharts program also. It will only work with Platinum Navionics cards, but essentially you will be able to upload sonar logs online, and a day or two later be able to download contour data from yours, and other peoples contributions as a separate layer on your map.
Basically, you'll be able to start collecting data to generate contour maps for places that don't have very good data.

Another idea I've had, is buying a software program called DrDepth. Same concept, you can import saved sonar logs and create your own lake contour maps.

More than likely, I'll buy DrDepth soon. From the youtube videos and information I've seen, it looks like a nice program with some cool features.
Dr. depth is in process of being sold. All sales at this time have been suspended. See information about this at Illinois Fish talk
Old 04-12-2013, 01:02 PM
Keeper

Dang! Guess I should have bought it two weeks ago!

Interested to see who bought it and what comes of it in the future.

Old 02-21-2017, 10:51 PM
Minnow

Quote:
Originally Posted by rnnonmt View Post
I am assuming you want a good lake maps on an SD card for your FF right? If so Navionics is the only one I know of for Lac Seul and unfortunately I dont think its even surveyed in high detail. If you are just looking for a map of Lac Seul for a hand held GPS there are a couple options like Trakmaps. I have the trakmaps version of lac seul as a back up on my garmin colorado 300 if my FF were to stop working. I also have the navionics canada for Ipad. I think it was 15 bucks a year ago. Its not a bad option for when you are back at camp going over where you fished that day etc etc. I can send you some screen shots if you are interested of what the different map detail looks like.
Hello rnnonmt,

Can you recommend simple ways for preparing a good lake map?
Thanks in advance.
Old 02-22-2017, 06:12 AM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woollybob View Post
.... They give you a rough idea of the 'lay of the land' but many times I have been screaming across "80 feet deep" water - according to the map - only to see my depth finder scream up to 3' and then back down again... High pucker factor.....
Just remember, Wooly, you draw less water on plane....
Old 02-22-2017, 04:12 PM
Charter Member

Regarding the Navionics, I have the "North" map and it certainly has Lac Seul on it, as well the Canada version does. As it has been stated, the depth is general and yes there are plenty of "X's" marking known hazards and although my experience is they are not all accurate, they are worth paying attention to and if there's an X assume it's a problem area. Secondly the maps do have what are known as Houseboat routes marked on most of the lake and will provide safe passage throughout most of the main areas of the lake if they are present. The third thing is that for the most part it is land/water boundary accurate so once you have the lay of your safe passage, you have an excellent view of the lay of the lake including islands, points, etc. You can certainly add danger waypoints to those areas where you are nervous and it is critical to create trails and save them. We motor in from Deception Bay landing to La Seul Outposts, a 37 mile run, and have trails marked from following the camp boats and a shared history of trails for safe passages. The Navionic map is invaluable for navigating. As others have stated, I just updated my units and chip for the SonarCharts Live feature (Only available with Navionics) and look forward to mapping some of my favorite fishing areas however the main map and trails will continue to be the basis for getting around.
Old 03-02-2017, 01:57 PM
Minnow

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigwalleye1 View Post
Just remember, Wooly, you draw less water on plane....
Yes - you do draw less water, but when you see the depth number on its way up that fast you don't know where its going to stop... Always scary on the low-water years when you see new rocks sticking up that you wonder how you missed in years past.

I spent a few years building my own maps: Logging depth readings on a Garmin handheld that was networked to my Lowrance depthfinder. Would get home and post-process the data to make lines/contours of anywhere we tracked. A lot of work, but yielded a few new spots to fish.

Now I have AutoChart Live on a Humminbird Helix - Maps as you go. Spent one week on LS with it last year. Nice feature in theory, but still has quite a few bugs that I hope Humminbird will work out sometime soon. Have not been that impressed to-date.
Old 03-03-2017, 09:13 AM
Wallhanger

As far as the mapping on most units i think there all decent.if its showing you were you are andcwherecyour going great.i fished and learned lac suel in a 14 ft naden with a 15 hp mariner.no electronics and bad maps.best way i still think to learn a lake.i do now have a 10 year old hd8 with a chip thats just as old.dont need to look at it much as i know where everything is without it.i guide out of private boats without it.mind you i might need a few extra minutes to find some of those mid lake humps but i find them.but at least i know how to get back from some of those 25-30 mi trips if my unit ever quit.i think personally people depend on there electronics to much.nothing like using your own brain and slow down and look for stuff.there not going to save you from finding rocks.you have to find them and remember them just in case one day your unit goes down.and depending on water levels from year to year.hiting a rock with a 15 hp is a lit diff than a 150.
Old 03-09-2017, 04:00 PM
Minnow

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjwwalleye View Post
Is there a chip for nw lac seul?
thank you
PM me and I will send you detailed depth contour maps.
Old 03-14-2017, 06:39 AM
Wallhanger

Others have given you good options on Lake chips, BUT, for the most point they all stink for lake contours and finding those routes to certain areas. Nothing beats experience and knowing for yourself. LS, unfortunately for many new to that water is NOT a bowl. There are submerged rock, reefs, humps, etc. etc. all over the place. Every year I see some unsuspecting soul cut between 2 islands or round a point to sharp, or generally think that if the are floating they are "good to go".

TIP: mark your routes everytime you move, and just leave the thing on all day marking spots along the way, I wish I had done that starting a long time ago.