Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
Northland Crawler Hauler - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Walleye Message Central > Strictly Fishing

Notices

Old 03-15-2014, 07:58 AM
Minnow

Default Northland Crawler Hauler

Has anyone had a chance to try Northlands Crawler Hauler hooks.
Thinking they are somewhat like slow death hooks .
Any feedback appreciated
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-15-2014, 08:13 AM
Wallhanger

I haven't tried them - but I will this spring. As with the Slow Death (bent) hook, I wonder why they don't make a turned up/down eye.

I have some Slow Death hooks that my neighbor gave me last year - it was the 'new' hot item then. But I didn't try them - is the crawler supposed to spin? Line twist? If I use them I'll do it behind a bottom bouncer.

I assume it spins or they would have used a turned up/down eye to make a better snell knot.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	crawlerhauler.jpg
Views:	255
Size:	25.2 KB
ID:	74673  

Last edited by law57; 03-15-2014 at 08:15 AM.
Old 03-16-2014, 08:03 AM
Wallhanger

The Northland Crawler Hauler is their version of the slow death hook.

You should try slow death hooks law. They really do catch fish. There's a ton of info on the site and the web about them, but yes, they spin when pulled.
Pulling them behind a bottom bouncer is how they were designed to be fished. Make sure to put a good ball bearing swivel between the bottom bouncer and the hook and use a stiffer line for you snell and you shouldn't have any line twist.
All you really need is a bottom bouncer, a ball bearing swivel, your snell and the hook. Run them just fast enough to get your crawler to spin an you're good.

Old 05-26-2014, 08:22 AM
Slot Fish

I have used slow death. They work but instantly I was annoyed and tried building in my own modifications to the slow death trying to keep the crawler on the hook. Every bottom bump, weed, tree, perch or other light bite would slide the crawler.

My additions worked somewhat but slowed down my tying. I would rather buy and the VMC / Northland crawler hauler looks promising. But where the heck do you buy bulk? I cannot find them anywhere other than fleet farm??
Old 05-26-2014, 08:59 AM
Charter Member

Tim,
Do you use a worm threader to thread the crawler on the hook well past the top of the hook.
If you do, you normally don't have issues with the crawler sliding down.

After you have threaded a couple hundred on hooks, you will be doing it very quickly.

Be safe
Old 05-26-2014, 06:07 PM
Keeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by triple t View Post
Has anyone had a chance to try Northlands Crawler Hauler hooks.
Thinking they are somewhat like slow death hooks .
Any feedback appreciated

I bought these this spring used them a lil but have mixed feelings with them. As of now I am gunna stick with my Trokars Re-volve feel they have a better point on the hook and are stronger. Sure they cost more but I have noticed dragging Mustads Slow Death and Matzuo death roll the hooks have dulled quicker when fishing rock. Trokars stay sharper longer which results in better hook ups.

I feel like they dont spin as well as the mustads,matzuo,trokars also...but is probably operator error

Just my 2cents.
Old 07-02-2014, 04:45 PM
Charter Member

I haven't tried any of the Northlands yet, but found this video of Jason Mitchell using them effectively on Devii's Lake.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zV6Qcryfik8
Old 07-20-2014, 02:03 PM
Minnow

Do the Nothland hooks have a different rotation action compared to slow death or tokars?
Old 03-18-2017, 06:15 AM
Keeper

Default Questions

Greetings,

My mother-in-law gave me a copy of In-Fisherman's 2017 guide to walleyes as a gift when I recently came to visit her. An article in the magazine mentioned Northland Tackle's Crawler Hauler Speed-Spinner. A picture suggests that it features a "slow death" style hook directly attached to a wire shaft. This shaft features some beads and a blade mounted to the shaft with a clevis. There are no split rings or swivels shown in the picture.

I've long believed that slow death style rigs need a swivel to minimize line twist. As I understand it, the swivel when using a Crawler Hauler would need to be some distance up a leader or at the bottom bouncer. If so, it seems to me that the mass of the wire shaft + leader would impede the rotation of the slow death hook.

Does anyone have experience with the Crawler Hauler Speed-Spinner? Does the hook freely spin in a slow death manner? Any other comments or observation on how they work?

I was thinking that these lures might work well for me during the first weeks of the walleye season. I was thinking that I would fish them "Texas" rigged - a small worm weight just in front of the point of attachment on the wire shaft. A short to medium cast and then slowly retrieve it, so that it stays near the bottom in fairly shallow water. Any thoughts?

I can easily make my own version of this lure - a hook, some AFW wire, beads, clevis and a blade. I would appreciate any comments along the lines of the questions set forth above, so that I could add features to over come any potential difficulties with the Crawler Hauler Speed-Spinner. For example, would it be beneficial to add a swivel and split ring between the wire shaft and the hook?

Good fishing and tight lines!!
Old 03-18-2017, 09:36 PM
Wallhanger

If your looking for new and strong....look in Cabela's fishing catalog.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20170313_144841_1489894586769.jpg
Views:	102
Size:	433.8 KB
ID:	248642