Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
Lac Suel Houseboat Rental?? - Page 2 - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Canada Eh? > Canada

Notices

Old 08-05-2014, 09:41 PM
Keeper

I have used SLFL over 20 times. We hire a pilot on long runs and I pilot on short ones (Taylor Island area). I have had good luck with SLFL and I wouldn't hesitate to rent from them.

I would like to try a cabin in that area but renting a cabin for the same amount of time is a lot more expensive.

Send me a PM if you have any questions about them or areas to fish.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-07-2014, 05:26 AM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by cuamb View Post
I have used SLFL over 20 times. We hire a pilot on long runs and I pilot on short ones (Taylor Island area). I have had good luck with SLFL and I wouldn't hesitate to rent from them.

I would like to try a cabin in that area but renting a cabin for the same amount of time is a lot more expensive.

Send me a PM if you have any questions about them or areas to fish.
Not sure If I'm sold on the idea of needing to bring all the extra's (I.E. sheets, pillows, dish towels, soap, landing nets, minnow buckets, etc.) As we need to fly from Denver to Minn. and then drive up to Hudson... THIS becomes a packing nitemare.
Any ideas how much gas the HB will use getting to Chamberlain.. or Taylor Island?
Still not exactly sure where Taylor is located....
Wouldn't there be a LOT of HB's moored nearby Taylor, if thats where all the outfitters park their clients?
HDS 8 Gen 1
Old 08-07-2014, 04:58 PM
Minnow

Default Slfl

Been with them for over 25 years. Can't say to many negatives about them. Steven and his wife are attentive to your needs and criticism. Houseboating is a relaxing economical way to get onto prime water and cut down on travel time. We go to the Chamberlin narrows area. This is a six hour houseboat trip in reef infested water. I've got 25 years experience and still find new dangerous rocks every year. You have to pay attention to your electronics and go slow when exploring new water. This lake EATS the careless and impatient boaters. Would highly recommend a pilot up and back. You can fish up and down the lake by hopping ahead of the houseboat while traveling up and down the lake. Navionics Premium chip has good general navigation routes marked. Most reefs in travel lanes are noted. You could fish a lifetime on this lake and not cover the same water twice. Taylor island is halfway up the east side. Chamberlin narrows a third farther and Wapesi is the upper end. Figure gas costs for HB as such. Five of us just did our most expensive trip ever at just over $1050 per each- food,HB gas, pilot and bait included. Usually with a group of 8 we get this down to $700 per each.
The key is a stable compatible base group to offset any quirky negatives brought by newbies.
The fishing is second to none. The group bonding PRICELESS!!!!!

Old 08-11-2014, 11:38 AM
Keeper

Our gas bill usually runs a little over $900 when we go to Chamberlain. That includes the generator gas and additional gas for our boats.
Old 08-12-2014, 10:26 AM
Minnow

Sent you a PM. We did it 2 years in a row recently. Thanks.
Old 08-12-2014, 10:56 AM
Minnow

Default Gas

You can save considerably by doing two things. First secure your HB gas supply. A pad lock on the pumper keeps the occasional passerby from helping themselves. This happened to us once. Second take some of your own gas in cans. I usually get 30 gallons for a week on the water. My 1875 Lund impact with 115 merc usually uses about 50 gallons. Any cans left over can be put into your vehicle for trip home. This helps offset the 30-50% markup the outfitter will charge per liter. Most recent trip gas was in $1.85 liter range on water and $1.25 range at filling station. Empty cans can easily be carried in boat for transport. We fill generator from HB pump to ensure cost equalization for the group. This has to be a group decision to work. If group does not abide by this make sure individual pumping episodes are tracked by pumping into a can then to boat tank so as to track usage.
Old 08-12-2014, 12:02 PM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red legs View Post
You can save considerably by doing two things. First secure your HB gas supply. A pad lock on the pumper keeps the occasional passerby from helping themselves. This happened to us once. Second take some of your own gas in cans. I usually get 30 gallons for a week on the water. My 1875 Lund impact with 115 merc usually uses about 50 gallons. Any cans left over can be put into your vehicle for trip home. This helps offset the 30-50% markup the outfitter will charge per liter. Most recent trip gas was in $1.85 liter range on water and $1.25 range at filling station. Empty cans can easily be carried in boat for transport. We fill generator from HB pump to ensure cost equalization for the group. This has to be a group decision to work. If group does not abide by this make sure individual pumping episodes are tracked by pumping into a can then to boat tank so as to track usage.
Well, since We are Flying into Minneapolis and renting a Van and driving from there, GAS cans won't cut it..
One poster mentioned $900 for gas? I assume that is for the HB (to Chamberlain) AND fishing boats?
Anyone have an approximation of gas usage to Taylor Island?
AND how far is it (milage wise) from Taylor to Chamberlain area?

Thanks ahead... JIMI
HDS 8 Gen 1
Old 08-12-2014, 01:25 PM
Wallhanger

Does the pilot spend his nights on the boat or does he leave when you reach your destination?
Old 08-12-2014, 03:47 PM
Minnow

Default Gas issues

The supply of gas on the HB is ample to meet demands for a week on the water. Bringing your own is strictly a cost savings measure.
Taylor island is roughly 20 miles up the east side from Hudson. It is another 25 miles up to Chamberlin narrows.
Pilots usually bring a boat in tow and as long as the weather and light conditions allow they head back to Hudson as soon as you are tied off and boats situated. Some may choose to stay overnite rather than make the trip back in the dark. Although I've had a couple tht knew the lake so well they ran houseboat through some of the rougher points of navigation ( ie "the rags") at mid nite on a no moon pitch black nite. From taylor island to Hudson is only a 35-40 minute boat ride in an outboard. You have to keep in mind the HB top speed is about 6 mph. This lake is not one for the average bater to attempt in the dark. I once had to make a trip at midnite from Brechin bay to Chamberlin narrows camp to make at sat phone call on behalf of our pilot whose outboard broke down at dewy narrows on way back to Hudson. It was a cłear calm moonless night and I had gps, knew all the reef locations and thought I could make it up and back easily. Wrong!!! The lake and shoreline blend together once you get 100 yards off the dock!! And GPS just blinds you steering you in circles. I finally had one boat from our party shine a spot lite in our direction to get a bearing. A five mile one way trip took three hours.
Old 08-14-2014, 09:22 AM
Minnow

Default gas issues

I am sitting here looking at the last 2 years invoice from SLFL which our group has used for 24 years and the gas bill bill was $900-1100 inclusive with 3 boats (and the HB of course). We run all the way to Merritt Island which is an hour above Chamberlain narrows. We used to bring a lot of our own gas but, it became such a hassle.