Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
First Time Bear Hunt/Bow - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Hunting Central > Big Game Hunting

Notices

Old 11-17-2014, 03:05 PM
Wallhanger

Default First Time Bear Hunt/Bow

A buddy and our wives are going to Ontario next Late Aug/Early Sept for a week of Fishing/Bear Hunting. Fishing for us all and Hunting for the guys. We have both Bow hunted white tail, turkeys, etc, for several years but am wondering what we may need to bring along for this hunt that we haven't needed for our others.

I have visited with the outfitter quite often and he has given us some things to think about. But would like to hear from others as what to bring along. Sometimes there is "that one item" that sounds weird but makes a world of difference having it on your trip.

It is guided and we will be hunting over bait sights. We plan on bringing home meat and the hides.

Thanks,

JohnB.O.A.T.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-17-2014, 07:37 PM
Charter Member

Thermacel
Old 11-17-2014, 09:27 PM
Wallhanger

A few years ago I went to Manitoba for a fall bear hunt. No bugs.

Old 11-18-2014, 01:45 PM
Wallhanger

Default Yes, yes, and yes

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobk View Post
Thermacel
Bob,

You betcha. My thermacell is with me whenever I cross the 49th parallel.
Old 11-18-2014, 01:50 PM
Wallhanger

Default When?

Phil,

What time of year did you go?

I have late August or 2nd week in Sept to choose from.

I would guess Aug will be more buggy, even tho just a few weeks apart. But would at least possibly be nicer weather for the ladies. I know its a roll of the dice any time, but you know, If mama ain't happy........................
Old 11-18-2014, 04:42 PM
Keeper

Johnboat, been on many canadian spring and fall bear hunts from Ontario, Saskatchewan, Alberta. Late aug/early sept you could find very warm temps, yes thermacell is a must have along with really light weight clothing and scent free moist wipes to keep the sweat off. Light weight bug suit sometimes isn't a bad idea either. Good luck.
Old 11-18-2014, 06:19 PM
Wallhanger

Give this some thought

When I went to Alberta for Bear hunting some of our stand locations were many miles from camp. This was a fly in hunt also. Anyway we were somewhat prepared for equipment breakdown. We were taken to stands on either 4 wheelers or Argo's. (It seemed as though they were always working on them Argo's). But consider maybe needing to start a fire or whatever you might need to be comfortable till camp figures out your not coming back. We also packed basic first aid kits to our tree stands. I did not rely on the guide for any of that. I can also say I never saw any first aid kits or emergency supplies on there equipment.

Something you can consider for bugs is spraying your clothing with Permathrin prior to going on your trip. Works wonders when you are only wearing one layer of clothing due to warmer temps. Its only for clothing and not to spray on your skin. Do a search on this product and learn all about it.

Other then that it is pretty much like Bowhunting Whitetails. Learn all you can about judging size of animal and listen to the guide on this also.

Pick a spot and follow through
Have Fun
Old 11-18-2014, 07:23 PM
Wallhanger

I actually went twice that year. In May, I saw nothing worth shooting. Biting bugs were bad so my Thermocell was a lifesaver in calm weather. I actually wore thin leather shooting gloves to keep mosquitoes off my hands.
I returned in September and the stands were much more comfortable because there were no mosquitoes or black flies. At least I saw average sized bear, but held out for something better than average. The price of a well-made rug is about 1/3 the cost of another hunt. I'll go back next year or the year after.
Old 09-03-2015, 01:22 PM
Wallhanger

Default Was a great week!

Thanks to all for the tips and advise. Just got back last week.

I have had and used the thermacell for years I have always wondered if they were really all what they were cracked up to be. So.......I shut it down in the stand for a few minutes to see.............And couldn't get it turned back on fast enough! "Do they work?".........yes, yes, yes, yes, yes, yes, YES!

I was very fortunate to harvest a 301.8 lb sow that will soon be a rug on my wall!! It was quite possibly the best hunting experience of my 55 winters.

God willing, it wont be my last.
Old 09-24-2015, 05:16 AM
Charter Member

Congratulations on your bear. Did you eat any yet?