Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
Reata Regrets? - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Boats, Motors, Electronics and Trailers > Boats

Notices

Old 09-14-2015, 12:45 PM
Keeper

Default Reata Regrets?

Anyone regret anything about their Reata purchase? Seems like the boat gets rave reviews and is Ranger's #1 seller. But does anyone not like something about it?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-14-2015, 12:51 PM
Charter Member

They could improve the bow design to reduce the amount of water you take over the bow when the wind is blowing...
Old 09-14-2015, 12:56 PM
Keeper

They could rate the HP of the boat the way it should be @ 200-225. The boat could handle low to mid 50's with ease.

Old 09-14-2015, 12:58 PM
Keeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by eye4aneye View Post
They could improve the bow design to reduce the amount of water you take over the bow when the wind is blowing...
Would you elaborate please? That sounds like a major issue I haven't heard about.
Old 09-14-2015, 01:36 PM
Keeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDS View Post
They could rate the HP of the boat the way it should be @ 200-225. The boat could handle low to mid 50's with ease.
How do you like your setup? Looks like an 1850 with an Etec 150 HO, which is likely how I would set it up.
Old 09-14-2015, 02:44 PM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtulius View Post
Would you elaborate please? That sounds like a major issue I haven't heard about.
If I'm at idle/troll speed in 2-3 footers I can take some water over the bow. If I'm on the big motor, nosed up I don't get a drop of water.
Old 09-14-2015, 02:56 PM
Keeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by SGPopp View Post
If I'm at idle/troll speed in 2-3 footers I can take some water over the bow. If I'm on the big motor, nosed up I don't get a drop of water.
Are you talking about some spray or spearing waves where it is a safety issue?
Old 09-14-2015, 03:10 PM
Wallhanger

I would describe it as a spear but it's at 2 MPH so I don't consider it a safety issue. It's only when going into the waves when chop on Green Bay starts to get nautical. Has more the do with wave spacing than anything. Sometimes there are 3 footers and I stay bone dry.

This.....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RBQqWluUrXc
Old 09-14-2015, 03:39 PM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by SGPopp View Post
I would describe it as a spear but it's at 2 MPH so I don't consider it a safety issue. It's only when going into the waves when chop on Green Bay starts to get nautical. Has more the do with wave spacing than anything. Sometimes there are 3 footers and I stay bone dry.

This.....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RBQqWluUrXc
There's just not much you can do about that in any small boat going that speed in Green Bay. Great lakes waves are like no other, they are not set by the moon or any kind of tide. It is big water with unpredictable waves just like the video shows anywhere from 1 to 2.5 footers. Anytime the bow is headed into the wind you can expect some water over the bow. Just make sure your bilge pump works before leaving the dock. If it doesn't, I would not go out īn it less I had a marine radio tuned into channel 16 to call station sturgeon bay.
Old 09-14-2015, 03:42 PM
Wallhanger

It's not just Green Bay but any big water. I don't own but have been in an 1850s on several outings. The boats have a lot of thought and great features built into them. I love the convertible bow and the layout is very roomy with decent storage. They ride very well for an 18 1/2' boat and when up and running are relatively dry so to speak. There's a lot to like about them however if you troll big water and find yourself trolling into waves from 1-4 mph, your gonna take some water over the nose. There's just no way around it. I also notice in those same instances you get quite a bit of spray on the windshield.

I had a Skeeter WX 1900 that was better than the Reata's in this regard but was by no means perfect. I now have a Yarcraft 186 and notice substantially better performance in regard both in dryness and taking water over the bow in those trolling situations. I spent probably 200 hours fishing out of it this summer and have not taken a single wave over the front. The down side, it doesn't take a lot for a 60" shaft trolling motor to be popping out of the water and even when I'm not using it, I have the trolling motor deployed to help better control the bow in the wind. Had I known this, I would have ordered the 72" shaft trolling motor. I guess there's always the next one, lol. Just keep in mind that a weakness on one won't be on another brand and vise versa. Buy the right tool for the right job. For me, probably 70% of my fishing is trolling for walleye's, 10% is drifting, and 20% is casting baits for pike and or bass. I believe I've found the right tool, ha ha.

Good luck in your search, there are lots of good boats and if you choose any of the major brands you'll get a quality machine. Have fun boat shopping!