Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
Reata Regrets? - Page 2 - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Boats, Motors, Electronics and Trailers > Boats

Notices

Old 09-14-2015, 04:00 PM
Keeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtulius View Post
How do you like your setup? Looks like an 1850 with an Etec 150 HO, which is likely how I would set it up.
I am very happy with the boat, it does everything (except the speed thing) I need it to do. The 150 is good for 44-45mph based upon load. I do some Musky fishing as well, it would be nice if the lower rod locker would hold a 8' rod. I can get a couple of 8'ers in the side locker.
About the water over the bow, this boat is a compromise from an all out fishing only boat.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-14-2015, 04:27 PM
Wallhanger

The boat in the video isn't mine. It's video of a Reata 2050 posted by another WC member on a thread from a couple of weeks ago. My 1850 is identical though. I find little fault in my boat. I'm 50/50 fish/family. It's slow. I get 44-46 with my 150 Verado. My previous Skeeter S-1850 saw 55 with a 175 EFI. Skeeter road well but the Ranger is far and away a better boat.
Old 09-14-2015, 04:30 PM
Minnow

I run a Ranger 1880 Angler. Same hull as 1850. The consoles are a bit further back. So, weight a bit further back. So, a tad faster than 1850 - I get 46-48 with my Etec 150 HO. Also probably spears a bit less with weight a bit back. I do a lot of muskie trolling at 4+ MPH on St Clair which can get nasty. No big issues. Bigger deck, different rod locker (I can get 8.5' in mine as I cut of end of tubes). I still have ski pylon. Big minus is you loose the jump seats Choosing a boat is an exercise in tradeoffs.

Have fun shopping and I love my Etec.

Old 09-14-2015, 05:17 PM
Keeper

I have a 14 Reata 2050 LS. While it's a great fishing boat, I bought it for one reason: the ski pylon. I get 63.0 gps with the 250 Pro XS. I'm considering going to a 620 FS now that they offer a ski pylon as I"m about 90% fish and 10% family stuff. I do wish the rod locker was longer...but I make do. The 2050 is a very capable fishing rig. I got the barrel seats...which are comfortable.

I have no worries about selling my boat if I decide to go with the 620 as used 2050's pretty much disappeared instantly if they're set up correctly. I believe the 1850's go quick too so you should be able to get out of it if you feel any regret, which is doubtful.
Old 09-14-2015, 06:41 PM
Keeper

Great stuff, guys. That video was very interesting. Guess its impossible to get everything you want in one boat and some compromise will be needed.

I really enjoy big water trolling and have been out in what I consider to be rough weather. I have never felt like I was in danger and that was only in 16-18' aluminum boats so maybe I am overthinking this. I assume the Reata can handle worse weather than a similar sized deep V aluminum boat.
Old 09-14-2015, 08:01 PM
Wallhanger

Quote:
I assume the Reata can handle worse weather than a similar sized deep V aluminum boat.
A high sided/higher floating aluminum boat won't take trolling waves over the bow as easy, but as far as safety, you'd be fine in either. Some wet carpet isn't going to sink the boat. On plane or slow cruising almost on plane in big waves is a lot different (dryer with the bow up) then slapping a three footer head on at 2 mph.

Last edited by B-man; 09-14-2015 at 08:04 PM.
Old 09-14-2015, 08:33 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Great stuff, guys. That video was very interesting. Guess its impossible to get everything you want in one boat and some compromise will be needed.

I really enjoy big water trolling and have been out in what I consider to be rough weather. I have never felt like I was in danger and that was only in 16-18' aluminum boats so maybe I am overthinking this. I assume the Reata can handle worse weather than a similar sized deep V aluminum boat.
You won't be in danger but the wet floor gets old. If you troll when the wind blows it is a nuisance that I just got very tired of. It wouldn't take much to make the bow design better. The taper of the top cap throws the water over the nose and then it runs down the deck to the drains in the back. The entire floor gets very wet and if you fish a few days in a row like that, it takes some drying out. They really need the deep hull peak that the 620 has and less reverse taper on that bow cap. Of course, that would change the looks quite a bit.

What was posted earlier about wave types is true too. Big rollers aren't a problem. It's steep and close waves like you get in higher winds. They don't have to be very big to splash over the bow. I never speared a wave when up on plane so it's not unsafe... Just trolling speed.

Last edited by eye4aneye; 09-14-2015 at 08:38 PM.
Old 09-14-2015, 08:51 PM
Keeper

I really enjoy fishing out of my 1850. I can fish Winnebago and Green Bay without any problems. When I want to fish shallow waters, boat can get me over 1 1/2 feet of water without issues. I just wish the boat was rated for a 200 hp (come on Ranger keep up with the competition with this request)
Old 09-14-2015, 09:09 PM
Minnow

That video was of my boat I have more to come as far as videos, sunday we were in legit 4s I could troll straight into the massive rollers but at 7mph you still have no bow lift and you spear the 4 footer got it on video a few times. Not a dangerous amount of water but you will know you don't want to do it again. From what people tell me just about all glass walleye boats have this issue some are slightly better than others. So you know you will see a lot of people call 2 foot waves 4 foot. The video shown was all 1 foot to 2 foot waves nothing smaller nothing bigger but the spacing of the waves were very close. I would rather fun a 4 foot roller over those 2 foot waves in the video any day. I have put the 2050 through just about everything in every angle possible if you guys have any question send me a pm or ask openly. Over all I love this boat
Old 09-15-2015, 02:13 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackrangerreata View Post
That video was of my boat I have more to come as far as videos, sunday we were in legit 4s I could troll straight into the massive rollers but at 7mph you still have no bow lift and you spear the 4 footer got it on video a few times.
Just wondering....

What species are you fishing for at 7mph? What lure will do those kinds of speeds without blowing out?
NPAA#89

Supporting Vendor
Guide (Lake Erie Western Basin)
JulsWalleyeFishingAdventures.com

2017 Ranger 621 FS
300 G2
15 ETEC Kicker
112 Ulterra w/iPilot LINK
Humminbird Helix 12 SI CHIRP Gen2
and Helix 10 DI CHIRP Gen2