Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
Reata Regrets? - Page 3 - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Boats, Motors, Electronics and Trailers > Boats

Notices

Old 09-15-2015, 04:33 AM
Minnow

none lol I was just putting the boat in different positions at different speeds and angles. Being up to 25 miles off shore on lake Michigan I want to know what I have and know exactly how it will act in different seas. I found in legit 4 foot waves which may be the biggest waves your average boater will ever see I know to jump up on plane in the trough to avoid any potential issues.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-15-2015, 06:42 AM
Keeper

Moral of the story seems to be; wish the boat could handle a 200 HP motor and be careful in certain kinds of waves.

Is it still agreed that this is the best multi purpose boat out there? Trying to bridge the gap between family fun and hardcore fishing.

Etec only makes the 150 HO, and not a 175 right? Would this boat be better served with a 175 Etec versus the 150 HO? I assume its only going to produce a couple more MPH on the top end?
Old 09-15-2015, 07:59 AM
Keeper

With the 150HO your getting about 165hp. Essentially the 150HO is the 175 for about 1300 less $$$$

Old 09-15-2015, 08:06 AM
Keeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turgeon View Post
With the 150HO your getting about 165hp. Essentially the 150HO is the 175 for about 1300 less $$$$
Then it matters even less. Good info. Thanks.
Old 09-15-2015, 09:39 AM
Charter Member

Jt,
The spearing issue is described as a wall of water rolling over the bow of the boat into the boat, putting a bunch of water in the boat that needs to be pumped out.

The post reminded me of a time a few years ago, when I had my daughter in law, two grand children and my wife in my boat.

We had gone out for a short time on the Mississippi river to have a bit of "down time"

We had enjoyed the day, but all during the day, I was thinking to myself that the river was doing some "strange" things. It seemed that there were some unusual things with respect to current and the wind going on in the river.

After going up river for a nice outing, my daughter in law said that it was time to get back, so we were running fast down river to get back to the ramp. My grand daughter was in the bow seat, my daughter in law was behind her and my wife was sitting beside me in my single console boat.

The wind was kicking up rather strangely and there was a significant amount of barge traffic on the river.

The wind was blowing from the south at about 20-30 mph, and the river is running south at that point. We were flying down river in the southerly direction with the wind in our face.

We had just passed a barge and came flying around a corner, and I saw a sight that I did not want to see.

Apparently from the combination of the wind, the current, and the just previously passed barge, there was a huge standing wave across the river in front of us. This wave was several feet high and was just standing in place caused by the fickle combination of the river curving, the high south wind and the previously passing barge. Of course, I instantly thought of the children so, I slammed the throttle shut to slow the boat before encountering the wave.

In retrospect, that was likely the wrong thing to have done. The bow dropped as the boat slowed and the bow was about as low as it would go, when the nearly stopped boat, encountered the towering standing wave. We took a wall of water over the bow of the boat a foot or so deep, stopping the boat and causing everyone to fly forward. My grandson was standing driving, with my knees on each side of him, so he was just pressed against the steering wheel. My grand daughter flew off the seat up to the bow of the boat, as did my daughter in law and wife. Of course the auto bilge pump turned on, and began to pump out the boat. After we regained our seat, with my crying daughter, we got back to the landing and put the boat on the trailer.

After getting the boat tied down I walked over to my Daughter in laws car and asked my young grand daughter how she liked her day on the water. She said, It was a lot of fun Grandpa, but I really don't like to run underwater in the waves.

How quickly they recover.

So, an example of severe wave spearing.

Be safe
Old 09-15-2015, 09:47 AM
Keeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by REW View Post
Jt,
The spearing issue is described as a wall of water rolling over the bow of the boat into the boat, putting a bunch of water in the boat that needs to be pumped out.

The post reminded me of a time a few years ago, when I had my daughter in law, two grand children and my wife in my boat.

We had gone out for a short time on the Mississippi river to have a bit of "down time"

We had enjoyed the day, but all during the day, I was thinking to myself that the river was doing some "strange" things. It seemed that there were some unusual things with respect to current and the wind going on in the river.

After going up river for a nice outing, my daughter in law said that it was time to get back, so we were running fast down river to get back to the ramp. My grand daughter was in the bow seat, my daughter in law was behind her and my wife was sitting beside me in my single console boat.

The wind was kicking up rather strangely and there was a significant amount of barge traffic on the river.

The wind was blowing from the south at about 20-30 mph, and the river is running south at that point. We were flying down river in the southerly direction with the wind in our face.

We had just passed a barge and came flying around a corner, and I saw a sight that I did not want to see.

Apparently from the combination of the wind, the current, and the just previously passed barge, there was a huge standing wave across the river in front of us. This wave was several feet high and was just standing in place caused by the fickle combination of the river curving, the high south wind and the previously passing barge. Of course, I instantly thought of the children so, I slammed the throttle shut to slow the boat before encountering the wave.

In retrospect, that was likely the wrong thing to have done. The bow dropped as the boat slowed and the bow was about as low as it would go, when the nearly stopped boat, encountered the towering standing wave. We took a wall of water over the bow of the boat a foot or so deep, stopping the boat and causing everyone to fly forward. My grandson was standing driving, with my knees on each side of him, so he was just pressed against the steering wheel. My grand daughter flew off the seat up to the bow of the boat, as did my daughter in law and wife. Of course the auto bilge pump turned on, and began to pump out the boat. After we regained our seat, with my crying daughter, we got back to the landing and put the boat on the trailer.

After getting the boat tied down I walked over to my Daughter in laws car and asked my young grand daughter how she liked her day on the water. She said, It was a lot of fun Grandpa, but I really don't like to run underwater in the waves.

How quickly they recover.

So, an example of severe wave spearing.

Be safe

I am not going to share this story with the war department. What a crazy ordeal. I spent a week on the Ole Miss in a houseboat one summer. Great fishing but saw crazy waves. Waves so bad the sliding glass doors were opening and closing on the boat.
Old 10-03-2015, 12:08 PM
Minnow

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtulius View Post
Moral of the story seems to be; wish the boat could handle a 200 HP motor and be careful in certain kinds of waves.

Is it still agreed that this is the best multi purpose boat out there? Trying to bridge the gap between family fun and hardcore fishing.

Etec only makes the 150 HO, and not a 175 right? Would this boat be better served with a 175 Etec versus the 150 HO? I assume its only going to produce a couple more MPH on the top end?
I have the 150 H.O. Best I've seen is 46mph, but average around 44. I would prefer a 200 on the back, who wouldn't? However, I find 44-45mph to be plenty fast for me. 95% of my driving speed is 28mph at 3500rpm. Those are the most efficient cruising numbers for the boat and motor combo from 2 boat test reviews I've read. The hole shot is the most important thing for me and the 1850 w/ 150 HO is perfect in that department! On plane in 3 seconds. Would I prefer to have the ability to run 50-55mph? Sure I would, but in reality, I'd only run WOT a very small percentage of the time. So, not having an 200 hasn't diminished my opinion of my 1850. I love it exactly how it is and don't regret buying it at all!
Old 10-03-2015, 05:42 PM
Keeper

One good rule to follow: don't ever let anyone sit in a bow seat when the boat is moving.

Quote:
Originally Posted by REW View Post
Jt,
The spearing issue is described as a wall of water rolling over the bow of the boat into the boat, putting a bunch of water in the boat that needs to be pumped out. ......
Old 01-25-2016, 08:06 AM
Minnow

Default Use a bow cover when trolling big water

I have the 1850 and fish Lake Michigan and Lake Superior all of the time. I had a bow cover made for it and when this is in place any water that does come over the bow simply rolls off and my boat and feet stay dry.

The nice thing about the bow cover is it also keeps you warmer when cruising in early season MN weather!
Minn Kota Terrova 80lb
Humminbird 999ci HD SI
Humminbird 798ci HD SI
Old 01-25-2016, 08:22 AM
Super Moderator

Yes, the reata won't troll into the wind on big water type lakes without taking some water over the bow. However, if you turn around and troll with the wind you will love the boat.

This is really the only con about the boats handling and because it does everything else so well I'll keep my boat for a very long time.