Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
Drotto Hook - Page 3 - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Boats, Motors, Electronics and Trailers > Trailers

Notices

Old 02-06-2017, 06:37 AM
Keeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnboy View Post
I agree. It appears the trailer isn't going deep enough.
It could be that the bow roller is too high and is actually lifting some of the weight of his boat off of the bunks.
The boat shouldn't be riding the bow roller that much.
I was actually more thinking the trailer was too deep. If the trailer is the proper depth, your boat should start riding up the bunks, flatten out the boat to the proper horizontal alignment on the trailer, lifting the bow out of the water. Then the bow hook should just slide into the bow roller.

You want to find that perfect spot with the trailer in the water where you're not so deep that the bow rubs the bow roller but you're also not so shallow that there's too much weight/friction on the bunks that you can't get all the way up the trailer.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-06-2017, 06:51 AM
Wallhanger

I absolutely agree with you Aaron. But, if that isn't the problem I think that bow roller height needs to be checked.
Old 02-06-2017, 05:07 PM
Keeper

I usually back it in until about an inch of the top of the fenders are showing.

2002 Warrior 1898
200 Yamaha HPDI
T8 Yamaha Kicker
'Bird 1199
'Bird 998

Old 02-06-2017, 05:54 PM
Keeper

Sounds too deep to me. I would try with the water even with the top of the wheels. If it's too dual axle, I would do that on the back wheels.
Old 02-06-2017, 06:16 PM
Keeper

My wheels tuck up into the fenders pretty good. I actually think an inch from the top of the fender is probably close to the top of the wheels. I will have to play with it some. I know at steep ramps it is a beeotch. After looking at it this weekend I think the Drotto latch should work. My roller is the bigger 3-3/4" one. But i think I would like the ranger one that has the small roller attached to the Drotto. I may have to contact them. Heck I might just take it to them and see what they think

2002 Warrior 1898
200 Yamaha HPDI
T8 Yamaha Kicker
'Bird 1199
'Bird 998
Old 02-21-2017, 06:33 PM
Keeper

Just an update.

Went to the river Saturday and caught a few. When we loaded the boat I told my buddy not to back it in quite so far...maybe 2 or 3 inches of fender sticking out. It went on the trailer more level with the bow roller but man did it load hard.....

On the plus side of my original question is topped by the shop where the Drotto is made and talked with Darren about what I was originally concerned about. He said it would work without the roller. I bought one and have yet to install it but I can tell you it is an incredibly well made product. I am looking forward to getting it on and using it.

I would say if anybody is thinking about getting one don't wait and do it. I talked to Darren for probably 20 min. He answered every question I had and then some.

2002 Warrior 1898
200 Yamaha HPDI
T8 Yamaha Kicker
'Bird 1199
'Bird 998
Old 04-08-2017, 11:43 AM
Keeper

Drotto Hook,

I am looking to get one of these for my Lund. Can someone get me a measurement from the top of the boat bow eye to the top of the drotto hook assembly? May tarp is about 5" above my bow eye on the boat.
I am wondering if my boat tarp comes down to low and will hit the drotto hook.

Thanks
Old 04-08-2017, 02:34 PM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by fsh4eye View Post
Drotto Hook,

I am looking to get one of these for my Lund. Can someone get me a measurement from the top of the boat bow eye to the top of the drotto hook assembly? May tarp is about 5" above my bow eye on the boat.
I am wondering if my boat tarp comes down to low and will hit the drotto hook.

Thanks
I just measured on my Lund Explorer SS 1800 with the Drotto mounted.
I think you're good to go.
Old 04-10-2017, 07:38 AM
Wallhanger

LOVE MY DROTTO!!!

Purchased one last year and it has changed the way we load and unload my boat. Quick, easy, and controlled. Easily one of the best purchases I have ever made for my boat.
Old 04-17-2017, 01:45 PM
Wallhanger

Default Issue and an impressive response.

I have to tell you guys about an issue that I recently encountered. It needs to be told as these circumstances never seem to get told when they happen

Recently I have been having some issues with my newly installed Drotto. I would power the boat up on to the trailer and the bow of the boat would engage the latch and the jaws would spring closed and the boat would then drop off and away from the latch. Hmmmmmm, what in the world could possibly be wrong I thought. I tried loading several times with no fix.

Yesterday afternoon, I looked at the latch real close and there was just enough of a gap between the jaws when it closed that the d ring on the bow of the boat would fall down through the jaws.

I called Darren and explained this to him this morning and he actually sounded surprised that this had happened. How many times do we hear that story, right? I'm that only one that is bad....

He told me that he would have his dad bring a new latch to town to where my boat is stored, they would look the install over and see what the issue is. His dad and a buddy of his showed up about an hr later and they looked at the install and said this is weird, there is definitely something that failed in the mechanism. I offered to trailer the boat to a local lake about 20 mins away and they said they would follow me out and replace the latch. I backed the boat in and didn't touch a thing, they removed the whole assembly and installed a new one, tested it several times and said to pull her back out of the water. They gave me a few pointers on the operation and said we will tear this one down and will let you know what happened for your piece of mind. They apologized for the issues and I also said I appreciated how they are handling this issue.

The ole timer said if he has a problem with something, he addresses it head on and fixes it. He said mine was the first one to do what it did and he was puzzled.

I felt this needed to get out there for anyone wondering about how this company stands behind its products.
NPAA #950
Fish On!