Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
Winchester Model 54 - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Hunting Central > Archery, Blackpowder, Rifles, Pistols, Shotguns...and whatever else you have.

Notices

Old 06-03-2016, 05:33 AM
Minnow

Default Winchester Model 54

I have a Winchester model 54 bolt action 30-06. I inherited it from my Grandfather. Very nice rifle. Has peep sight. I would like to have scope mounts installed. Does anyone know of a good gunsmith that has the skill to tap/drill and install new mounts?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-03-2016, 07:48 AM
Keeper

Installing bases is not difficult, however, I did see one incident where someone used screws that were too long and they drove them into the bolt, oops! Where do you live? I would suggest finding a master gunsmith in your area. Itís very easy to check them out. If you canít find one, I know an excellent guy in Kansas City. Good luck Ė Stu
Old 06-03-2016, 10:14 AM
Wallhanger

STOP! Winchester only made about 50,000 M54's and it's estimated that less than 10% of them are still in original condition. If it's not drilled and tapped, had the barrel cut down, had the stock messed with, been re-blued, etc. it would be a terrible thing to mess with it now. It would also completley kill it's value. You would be spending $50 to D&T it to reduce it's value 75%.

Old 06-03-2016, 11:12 AM
Minnow

Yes you are right. I've read same thing on some other sites. I would like to have a scope on the rifle, but I don't think Winchester intended the rifle for a scope. Guess I'll just use the peep sight. Thanks.
Old 06-03-2016, 01:23 PM
Wallhanger

Do to the safety you would also have to either replace the safety or mount the scope super high and that along with the low comb on the M54 it would be very difficult to get any kind of cheek weld for the scope.
Old 06-04-2016, 05:13 AM
Minnow

thanks for your advice. I think I'll leave it as is. It's a classic gun, I would hate to mess it up.