Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
Sighting in a 30-06 - Page 2 - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Hunting Central > Archery, Blackpowder, Rifles, Pistols, Shotguns...and whatever else you have.

Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #11  
Old 08-16-2016, 11:18 AM
Burr Burr is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Nov 1999
Location: Moorhead, MN, USA.
Posts: 7,864
Default

To the OP, I've never bore sighted a rifle, have quite a few and enjoy hand-loading.

My theory is - I'd rather shoot than bore sight and spend money finding ways to shoot less.

You may have to shoot a few more times if you don't bore sight. That's not a bad situation to be in when you're done at the range and go hunting.
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
  #12  
Old 08-16-2016, 12:15 PM
grizzley grizzley is online now
Wallhanger
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: NE pa.
Posts: 1,696
Default

Yes, totally different, the Tasco I mentioned has both on it.
Most hunting scopes don't have the parallax adjustment on them and are advertised to be parallax free @ 100yds. I was told to move my head up and down while looking through the scope, and also move it sideways, if the crosshairs move while you are doing this, the scope isn't parallax free and by adjusting the "focus" on a scope you may be able to get some or most of the movement out. I was as told that by a bench rest shooter I know, and they know a heck of a lot more about stuff like that than I do.
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 08-16-2016, 12:34 PM
Custom Eyes Custom Eyes is online now
Wallhanger
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: NE Michigan
Posts: 3,912
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by grizzley View Post
Yes, totally different, the Tasco I mentioned has both on it.
Most hunting scopes don't have the parallax adjustment on them and are advertised to be parallax free @ 100yds. I was told to move my head up and down while looking through the scope, and also move it sideways, if the crosshairs move while you are doing this, the scope isn't parallax free and by adjusting the "focus" on a scope you may be able to get some or most of the movement out. I was as told that by a bench rest shooter I know, and they know a heck of a lot more about stuff like that than I do.
Yep, exactly how I finally got my 6-18X scope dialed in, by adjusting it until the crosshair did not move. Before that, even if my head position was ever so slightly different, my next shot was off by inches, sometime allot. Not much of a problem up to 100 yards, but beyond that the parallax adjustment is more and more critical the further out the shot is, and does not match the yardage marks on the scope. For 200 yards, my sweet spot is about 175 on the scale. For 300 yards, it's 250. Took quite a bit of fussing and shooting to find the sweet spots. Even being off by 25 yards on the setting had my shots all over the place.

Last edited by Custom Eyes; 08-16-2016 at 12:37 PM.
Reply With Quote
 
  #14  
Old 08-16-2016, 01:04 PM
Bowtech84's Avatar
Bowtech84 Bowtech84 is offline
Wallhanger
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Posts: 572
Default

Mine are always set on infinity. Most of my rifle shooting is done on coyotes and in most cases not enough time to range and adjust. I've never had a problem with it on that setting (that I know of). Now if your spot and stalk hunting critters that give you ample time to range and adjust I'm all for it but the infinity setting does keep you in the zone. Might not stack tacks but it will kill em dead.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 08-16-2016, 05:07 PM
Custom Eyes Custom Eyes is online now
Wallhanger
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: NE Michigan
Posts: 3,912
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bowtech84 View Post
Mine are always set on infinity. Most of my rifle shooting is done on coyotes and in most cases not enough time to range and adjust. I've never had a problem with it on that setting (that I know of). Now if your spot and stalk hunting critters that give you ample time to range and adjust I'm all for it but the infinity setting does keep you in the zone. Might not stack tacks but it will kill em dead.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I don't think I have ever tried the infinity setting. I'll give that a "shot". Thanks. That's one thing that worries me about the parallax adjustment. Sitting there with it set for 200 yards, and something comes walking in at 100 or less and having to make a quick adjustment and all the movement involved.
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 08-17-2016, 04:52 PM
johnboat johnboat is online now
Wallhanger
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Waterloo, Iowa.
Posts: 1,051
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burr View Post
To the OP, I've never bore sighted a rifle, have quite a few and enjoy hand-loading.

My theory is - I'd rather shoot than bore sight and spend money finding ways to shoot less.

You may have to shoot a few more times if you don't bore sight. That's not a bad situation to be in when you're done at the range and go hunting.
Yes. I won't mind shooting more rounds through it that's for sure. Just out of curiosity I am going to bore sight it first just to see how accurate it really is. Then after I have it dialed in, pop the Lazer in to see where we are at. I would never just bore site then hunt.

To the others the turretts on my scope are round specific. 150gr, 165gr, 180gr I believe. As it was a slightly used purchase, it only came with the 150gr. I will start there. I bought the other rounds and will experiment. If her sweet spot is one of the other grains I will purchase the other turretts.

Great info. Don't stop.

Last edited by johnboat; 08-17-2016 at 04:55 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 08-17-2016, 05:20 PM
Burr Burr is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Nov 1999
Location: Moorhead, MN, USA.
Posts: 7,864
Default

Something you can try, if you have a stable rest to place and point the gun.

Set the gun on the rest/bench - pointed at the target, with bolt removed. Look through the barrel, and center the bulls eye on the target when looking through the barrel. Then, without touching or moving the gun at all, lift your eye to look through the scope - the cross hairs should be centered on the same spot as looking through the barrel. If not, adjust scope accordingly.

That does not replace shooting, but quite often it will get you on paper so you can shoot your way into the bullseye.

It's one way for those that don't have access to a bore sight at the moment, or those that chose to go without one.

The above approach has worked for me for years and years, but I have one rifle that I could not get on paper with the approach. Only had a few test loads with me, and by the time I realized I should start a little closer to get on paper, I was out of loaded rounds. Oh well, that trip was primarily to test out some starting loads, it would have been nice to know where it was hitting, but I didn't find out on that trip.
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 08-17-2016, 08:07 PM
grizzley grizzley is online now
Wallhanger
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: NE pa.
Posts: 1,696
Default

150, 165, 180gr---30cal. bullets.
If it's a 30-06 you should get excellent accuracy out of the 150 and 165's, if a .308 the 165's should be very accurate. I handload nothing but 150gr tips for the "06", and 165-168gr tips for the .308. The 150's in a 30-06 are a pretty flat shooting bullet, hopefully you don't need to go with the 180's for a wolf.

Last edited by grizzley; 08-17-2016 at 08:17 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 08-17-2016, 08:29 PM
johnboat johnboat is online now
Wallhanger
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Waterloo, Iowa.
Posts: 1,051
Default

I'm guessing it shoots the 150gr best since the original owner had the 150gr turrett on the scope.

On a side note I was surprised how few 30-06's were out there for sale. Not only used but new as well. There were .308's everywhere. Guess I'm showing my age!

I'm not exactly sure what the difference is between the two, but I'm all ears.
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 08-17-2016, 09:12 PM
grizzley grizzley is online now
Wallhanger
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: NE pa.
Posts: 1,696
Default

There is a thread on here discussing a 30-06 vs a .308, my preference is the "06" but the .308 is no slouch, sort of like the little brother to the "06"
Just search >30-06 vs .308 and you will be ! LOL
Both have their following.
BTW: 30-06 rifles are readily available here in PA, both used and new.

Last edited by grizzley; 08-17-2016 at 09:17 PM.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 07:57 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2017 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.