Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
Galvanized or painted boat trailer - Page 3 - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Boats, Motors, Electronics and Trailers > Trailers

Notices

Old 02-22-2017, 11:33 AM
Minnow

Quote:
Originally Posted by clawman View Post
My Skeeter trailer made by EZ Loader has the armor type coating and I have rust coming out in numerous spots. The frame is not chipped, so that is good, but in places like where the jack stand is bolted on the coating is buckled and rust showing.
The "lineX" kind of armor coatings are terrible and actually rust the steel product basically from the inside out! My brother built off road bumpers for a while and would have them sprayed with a lineX type material and they looked great for a few years but then would start to bubble. Peel the bubble and there is still steel attached to the lineX BUT a whole junk of rotten steel has flaked off the 3/16" actual bumper steel!

Nice thing about galvanizing is that because its dipped in the cleaning solution (almost like a liquid sand blaster) it cleans all the mill scale and everything off the inside and outside then a dip or two in the galvanize tank coats absolutely everything and everywhere! Wouldn't have it any other way anymore!

Ryan
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-23-2017, 11:57 AM
Slot Fish

Quote:
Originally Posted by RyanB View Post
The "lineX" kind of armor coatings are terrible and actually rust the steel product basically from the inside out! My brother built off road bumpers for a while and would have them sprayed with a lineX type material and they looked great for a few years but then would start to bubble. Peel the bubble and there is still steel attached to the lineX BUT a whole junk of rotten steel has flaked off the 3/16" actual bumper steel!

Nice thing about galvanizing is that because its dipped in the cleaning solution (almost like a liquid sand blaster) it cleans all the mill scale and everything off the inside and outside then a dip or two in the galvanize tank coats absolutely everything and everywhere! Wouldn't have it any other way anymore!

Ryan
If your brothers project bubbled like that its because he only got one side sprayed.
Rust bubbles in paint/coatings are from rust penetrating from the back side of the panel.
Old 02-25-2017, 07:18 PM
Keeper

MY 1997 galvanized trailer is 20 years old, and I expect it to last another 20 years. How long will your steel trailer last, even painted or powder coated? Seems the average on this thread is 5-8 years before the rust shows through. Key- rust shows through. You can't paint the inside of a boxed trailer frame, it starts rusting the day it leaves the factory. As noted in previous posts, attachments break the paint seal and allow rusting to begin immediately.

In the end, it's your money. Spend it how you want.

Old 02-26-2017, 06:09 AM
Charter Member

I'm not concerned about the rust or corrosion I can see. It's what I can't see that concerns me. Galvanized isn't as pretty as paint the first few years, but after that?

My grandpa told my dad and my dad told me "to never buy anything that can rust, it's a poor investment". Good advice if you can follow it.

Wish my trailer was galvanized. Next one will be new and galvanized. I'll take function over form any day.

Pooch

"Human beings seldom think for themselves... For the most part, members of our species simply repeat what they are told and become upset if they are exposed to any different view. The characteristic human trait is not awareness but conformity... We are stubborn, self-destructive conformists. Any other view of our species is just a self-congratulatory delusion."
Old 02-26-2017, 07:41 AM
Slot Fish

I have owned painted and galvanized, now I own aluminum. I'm glad it was an option for my American Angler. It was more money but this will be my boat for a long time and I know the trailer will last forever. I fish from the day the ice is gone until the day the ice comes in upstate New York.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 02-26-2017, 07:44 AM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckmaster7600 View Post
I have owned painted and galvanized, now I own aluminum. I'm glad it was an option for my American Angler. It was more money but this will be my boat for a long time and I know the trailer will last forever. I fish from the day the ice is gone until the day the ice comes in upstate New York.

Are you fishing today, no ice here . . .
Lowrance HDS7 Gen 2 Touch unit networked to a LMS 520c
Lowrance Engine Interface cable
Minn Kota Power Drive V2 US2 now with i-Pilot
Custom designed and built rod holders
Custom designed and built down rigger platforms
All towed with my Trusty G2 '07 Toyota Tundra
Old 02-26-2017, 08:44 AM
Slot Fish

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobby Winds View Post
Are you fishing today, no ice here . . .

Fished yesterday and will tomorrow, too windy today.

Old 02-26-2017, 10:09 AM
Wallhanger

Galvanized if this is a long term investment.
Painted if you are going to sell the boat next year.

My 1 year old painted karavan trailer is starting to rust at the swingaway tongue.
Old 02-26-2017, 10:21 AM
Wallhanger

When I purchased my current old boat in WI a couple of years ago, the Shorelandr trailer was a mass of rust. After I got home here to Fla, I dropped the boat on the ground, took as much as I could off the trailer and off to the sandblaster. After 2.5 hrs of blasting and $225, I had a completely rust free trailer, wiped it down with acetone, primed with Rustoleum industrial primer. Took a week, then another week to paint with Rustoleum Industrial gray. So Far so good. This was my 1st painted trailer in years. All my prior trailers were galvanized, 0 rust or corrosion issues. Never will have a painted trailer again if I can help it. Of course for some image is everything.
Lowrance Elite 4 Gps/DI/Sonar
Old 03-05-2017, 06:58 AM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by DW View Post
Aluminum always looks better than galvanized and can be painted, too. Galvanized can eventually corrode, but aluminum won't.
When you say eventually, what time frame are you talking about? Galvanized products can be painted and is done every day.