Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
Galvanized or painted boat trailer - Page 4 - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Boats, Motors, Electronics and Trailers > Trailers

Notices

Old 03-13-2017, 12:30 PM
Charter Member

I had a galvanized trailer for 24 years, and it was used year round in very warm corrosive salt water, and never had a problem with it. My next galvanized trailer was terrible. It was made by Princecraft Boats and they have no idea of how to make a galvanized trailer. After 6 years the trailer started rusting badly. I tried to repair it but it was a waste of time. So a galvanized trailer is only as good as the factory who makes it. I'm sure that a Shorelander or EZ Loader galvanized trailer will last a life time. If you can afford the extra money always go for an aluminum trailer. Aluminum trailers are lighter than galvanized trailers, and they always look they are new. Here in Florida aluminum trailers are now the most popular trailers because they never rust, and they always look nice.
Miami Vice
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-13-2017, 12:47 PM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miami Vice View Post
I had a galvanized trailer for 24 years, and it was used year round in very warm corrosive salt water, and never had a problem with it. My next galvanized trailer was terrible. It was made by Princecraft Boats and they have no idea of how to make a galvanized trailer. After 6 years the trailer started rusting badly. I tried to repair it but it was a waste of time. So a galvanized trailer is only as good as the factory who makes it. I'm sure that a Shorelander or EZ Loader galvanized trailer will last a life time. If you can afford the extra money always go for an aluminum trailer. Aluminum trailers are lighter than galvanized trailers, and they always look they are new. Here in Florida aluminum trailers are now the most popular trailers because they never rust, and they always look nice.
Miami Vice
How are the walleyes biting down there . . .
Lowrance HDS7 Gen 2 Touch unit networked to a LMS 520c
Lowrance Engine Interface cable
Minn Kota Power Drive V2 US2 now with i-Pilot
Custom designed and built rod holders
Custom designed and built down rigger platforms
All towed with my Trusty G2 '07 Toyota Tundra
Old 03-13-2017, 02:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DW View Post
Aluminum always looks better than galvanized and can be painted, too. Galvanized can eventually corrode, but aluminum won't.
A painted aluminum trailer makes about as much sense as my unprotected painted aluminum boat.

Old 03-13-2017, 04:53 PM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miami Vice View Post
Miami Vice
There is some truth to what you said. A galvanized trailer or any thing galvanized has to be fabricated with the proper holes for venting and the galvanizing procedure has to be followed properly. Aluminum only looks like new when polished.

DW stated that galvanized will eventually corrode, I challenge him to show me one properly galvanized trailer that has corroded?
Old 03-23-2017, 06:03 AM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by DW View Post
Aluminum always looks better than galvanized and can be painted, too. Galvanized can eventually corrode, but aluminum won't.
Aluminum can corrode. Last year I had to replace a 1998 snowmobile trailer because the aluminum corroded and the welds failed.
Old 03-23-2017, 10:41 PM
Charter Member

Baseline,
My neighbor told me about 3 of his snowmobiling friends who own Aluminum snowmobile trailers.

All 3 of the aluminum trailers had severe failures this winter.

Yes, the salt and slush eventually gets to the aluminum.

However, having said that - a boat trailer in normal summer use is not going to have nearly the exposure to salt as is the case with a snowmobile trailer. So, it is quite likely that you would get many many trouble free years with a summer time used boat trailer.

Be safe
Old 03-24-2017, 03:52 AM
Wallhanger

It's funny how every vehicle I have owned that had aluminum wheels always corroded to cause rim leaks, yet never had a rim leak with steel rims.
Lowrance HDS7 Gen 2 Touch unit networked to a LMS 520c
Lowrance Engine Interface cable
Minn Kota Power Drive V2 US2 now with i-Pilot
Custom designed and built rod holders
Custom designed and built down rigger platforms
All towed with my Trusty G2 '07 Toyota Tundra
Old 03-24-2017, 05:51 AM
Minnow

How does a galvanized trailer do in saltwater?
I just bought a small boat on a galvanized trailer that I intend to haul to Florida next winter and will launch in saltwater. My sense is it will do just fine, especially since I will only submerge it twice, launch and retrieve.
Old 03-24-2017, 11:15 AM
Wallhanger

The majority of trailers launched in saltwater are galvanized. Galvanized trailers can and do rust over time, but the biggest threat is to the trailer attachments such as axles, connectors, brakes etc. Trailer lights and connectors take a beating, too.

I boat in saltwater in S Florida each year. Since I have a painted steel trailer I know that the trailer would never be the same if I dunk it in saltwater. So, I either launch in freshwater such as above a lock or I pay a marina to load and unload with a forklift.

I wished I bought an aluminum trailer.
Old 03-24-2017, 11:20 AM
Wallhanger

Anything galvanized properly will not rust in our lifetime. If you are seeing rust on anything hot dipped galvanized, which most all galvanized trailers are, the zinc coating was either ground off or there was an air pocket and the area did not get coated.