Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
Trying to find a camp/lodge question - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Canada Eh? > Canada

Notices

Old 01-12-2017, 06:42 AM
In Search of

Default Trying to find a camp/lodge question

We have a diverse group. We have done fly-ins until they became cost prohibitive but also the lack of electricity for cpaps, battery charging etc. Then have done drive ins to lac seul, boat in on LOTW and a couple smaller lakes between Vermillion Bay and Ear Falls.

We seem to be caught between a rock and a hard place. We think the fishing on say........lac seul is much better than the small lakes but the big water makes a few in the group very uncomfortable and it creates issues with boat assignments etc. We do our own cooking and many of the lakes we have interest in are american plan only. We have stayed in other areas of LOTW and those seemed to be highly northern and musky areas versus Walleye. We really target the walleye which then forced either long boat rides or changing species when we aren't ready with baits or experience.

So, looking for a drive in camp, housekeeping, small to mid size water, remote and very good walleye fishing in particular. Doesn't have to be a true numbers lake as long as we can eat a few but have chances at a trophy.

Does a place like this exist that is affordable? Typically a group of 8 to 14

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-12-2017, 07:12 AM
Wallhanger

Maybe you need to find a camp with larger boats? Bigger boats might make some of the guys feel safer. Otherwise just about all the lakes have islands, bays or places you can hide when the wind blows. Pull up some maps and search for camps located in area's that you don't have to cross large water to fish. Remember, most older resorts where built where the fishing was good because of the lack of reliable boats & motors.

Locate your resort first and worry about the money second. A lousy trip because of a bad cabin, boat or location won't turn into a memorable trip because of price.
Old 01-12-2017, 07:52 AM
Wallhanger

I hear you about rough water on bigger lakes like lac seul and eagle lakes.i guide on both of them and do not enjoy the waves out there.i do have a big boat and still dont enjoy it.i guide out of camp boats also and they are all mostly 16-18'.not many bigger boats available at any camp.sometimes you can go hide but usually not many fish.i spend a lit of time on cedar or cliff lakes.much smaller and fishing is great maybe not the numbers of bigger fish like say lac seul but who cares.there will still be plenty of 18" and over and a much better chance of a 30".cedar being the easier lake to fish.it also has fantastic crappie fishing.i would recommend clarkes northern lights.they have 17' boats with 50 hp.free bait and your cabin right in front of your dock.it is house keeping.4 other camps on the 17 mi long lake.they all charge extra for upgraded boats.i do guide days on cliff also.mainly for trout and incredible bass fishing along with muskie.also can access perrault lake from cedar but no need to go there.pm me if you need any info.

Old 01-12-2017, 07:55 AM
In Search of

Default thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by That Minnesota guy View Post
Maybe you need to find a camp with larger boats? Bigger boats might make some of the guys feel safer. Otherwise just about all the lakes have islands, bays or places you can hide when the wind blows. Pull up some maps and search for camps located in area's that you don't have to cross large water to fish. Remember, most older resorts where built where the fishing was good because of the lack of reliable boats & motors.

Locate your resort first and worry about the money second. A lousy trip because of a bad cabin, boat or location won't turn into a memorable trip because of price.
The places we ahve been had Lund 1750's with 40 or 50hp motors. There was plenty of protected water but the we have historically done better in certain spots. Well, that makes boat assingments difficult because you just never know when the wind will come up. We have guys ranging in age from 30 to 70's. Tough when the guys that stay close to camp don't catch nearly the same fish as those that travel. we like to swtich up boat assignments which then causes the rifts.

Thus, looking for smaller water but the hard part is fiding the same quality of fishing.
Old 01-12-2017, 08:20 AM
Wallhanger

You might consider some of the many lodges located on the English River. I don't have personal experience with these, but Little Canada Camp is right at Ear Falls below the dam. Further down, but both drive to, are Manitou Falls and Knotty Pines (I liked when it used to be called Naughty Pines better). The river system is not nearly as intimidating as, say, Lac Seul. You won't feel lost and don't have to worry about wind/waves.

Also on the English are Caribou Falls Lodge and KCR Camp. These are both drive-tos north of Kenora. I've never stayed at either of these, but I have fished this water many, many times and can attest to the quality of fishing.
Traxxis
HB 999hd SI
HB 858c
Old 01-12-2017, 09:58 AM
Slot Fish

I certainly get the big water concerns. We've had a couple white knuckle experiences on Lac Seul coming back in the afternoon after the wind kicked up. We bring our own boat and have stayed at multiple places between Ear Falls and Vermilion Bay. My favorite musky lake is Eagle. My favorite walleye lake is Lac Seul. We look at the weather forecast and pick one of those two or maybe one of the smaller lakes in between Vermilion Bay & Ear Falls if the weather looks iffy. Now, it sounds like you strictly use camp boats, so you aren't bringing up a boat(s) for that kind of flexibility. However, there is potentially another option. You might be able to rent boats prior to arriving in camp & lake hop like I do. (I don't believe any camps will let you trailer their boats, but might be worth a question). I looked into it several years ago & it was doable. I think at that time Nelson Marine in White Bear Lake MN was doing rentals & would let you take them into Canada - doesn't appear they are doing rentals any more based on their web site, however I did find this - not sure if they'd let you take them to Canada or not but maybe...

http://www.fosterbrosmarine.com/rentals.htm
Old 01-12-2017, 11:58 AM
Wallhanger

The size of your group means finding an outpost will be tough.

But there are countless drive-to lodges with decent cabins, electricity, and a shot at big fish ... that aren't on huge lakes. Plus, many lodges have access to smaller lakes if the weather is bad.

I'm sure this thread will produce some good options, but spend some time searching through older threads. There are tons similar to yours with dozens and dozens of lodges listed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by In Search of View Post
We have a diverse group. We have done fly-ins until they became cost prohibitive but also the lack of electricity for cpaps, battery charging etc. Then have done drive ins to lac seul, boat in on LOTW and a couple smaller lakes between Vermillion Bay and Ear Falls.

We seem to be caught between a rock and a hard place. We think the fishing on say........lac seul is much better than the small lakes but the big water makes a few in the group very uncomfortable and it creates issues with boat assignments etc. We do our own cooking and many of the lakes we have interest in are american plan only. We have stayed in other areas of LOTW and those seemed to be highly northern and musky areas versus Walleye. We really target the walleye which then forced either long boat rides or changing species when we aren't ready with baits or experience.

So, looking for a drive in camp, housekeeping, small to mid size water, remote and very good walleye fishing in particular. Doesn't have to be a true numbers lake as long as we can eat a few but have chances at a trophy.

Does a place like this exist that is affordable? Typically a group of 8 to 14

Thanks
Old 01-12-2017, 12:22 PM
Wallhanger

I know we aren't a drive in lodge, but we are in a pretty sheltered portion of Lake of the Woods. We're also located right next to Miles Bay... which is one of the best walleye areas on the entire lake.

We just built a brand new housekeeping cabin with 6 bedrooms that sleeps 12 (and really could sleep up to 14). We have 24 hour power now, internet, and pretty much everything else you'd want.

Otherwise, I'm sure there are some great options out there for drive in smaller lakes.
Old 01-12-2017, 07:19 PM
Slot Fish

This place always interested me, but never been and don't know anything more than what the website says.

http://wildewoodonlakesavant.com/
Old 01-12-2017, 07:22 PM
Wallhanger

North Star Lodge on Clay Lake checks all of your boxes. Only resort on a 17 mile stretch of river. There is another boat dock on the very far end of the river that services Big Canon lake Lodge, but if you drive up there you will be passing lots of good fishing. Two brothers own the camps. Very well run. Big cabins, many of them are duplexes with long deck on the front. May work for your large group. Bring your own boat or use theirs. Big dock with charging capabilities. Lots of bays if the weather kicks up. Walleye, Pike, and smallmouth. Housekeeping or American Plan.

Last edited by packpro; 01-20-2017 at 05:14 PM. Reason: grammer-spelling