Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
Heater recommendations - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Ice Fishing - Mainly a winter sport > Ice Fishing

Notices

Old 01-17-2017, 08:06 PM
Minnow

Default Heater recommendations

Im looking for a recommendation for an "in wall" heater for my shack. Obviously, safety is most important so I need it to be CO2 safe (as possible). Ideally, I'd like it to be under $200. Any suggestions? I have used a big buddy for many years and I do like it but I'd like something I can build into the wall instead of having the big buddy and the propane tank gas line in the way.

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-18-2017, 12:18 PM
Wallhanger

You won't find any direct vent wall heaters for $200 except old used ones, and that's a stretch. If you want to be safe spend the dollars for a direct vent, especially if you'll be in it for long periods.
Old 01-18-2017, 02:50 PM
Minnow

Default recommendation for best bang for buck

Do you have a good recommendation for $300 - $400 range? Im not sure if I want to go this route, but if someone has success with something in this range I can make it a summer project and invest more.

Old 01-18-2017, 04:12 PM
Charter Member

CO is what will kill you, CO2 is what we exhale.
I installed a 12000 BTU Ashley direct vent heater in my 8x12 this summer, I got it from ACWholesalers for $499.95
That was the best deal I could find on a unit with decent reviews. I haven't used it much do to poor ice conditions, so I can't give it a thumbs up or down yet.
Old 01-19-2017, 08:37 AM
Charter Member

I bought my direct vent heater at Menards for $450 and then 11% rebate some years ago. I think it's a Home Hearth brand made by Empire.
Old 01-19-2017, 09:15 AM
Wallhanger

Those prices sound VERY inexpensive, how big is your house and is it well insulated. Do you sleep in it?
Old 01-19-2017, 06:10 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawg View Post
Those prices sound VERY inexpensive, how big is your house and is it well insulated. Do you sleep in it?
8' X 12'. Yes I sleep in it. It has 2 1/2" spray foam in walls and floor, 2" blue foam board in the ceiling. My old 12000BTU Empire direct vent heater with 2 computer fans by the ceiling to circulate the air easily kept the temp around 70.
Old 01-20-2017, 07:35 AM
Wallhanger

CI Guy-I was asking Eldojb, but I'm glad you posted. 12,000 sounds a little small for that but you're well insulated so it works I'm sure. I had a 8x12 with a 12,000 too and sure wouldn't want to be any smaller. Without Eldojb telling us his situation we can't help him with recommendations.
Old 01-20-2017, 02:34 PM
Minnow

Default Insulation

Yes, I sleep in the shack a few times per year. It is VERY well insulated. Now I never need my Big Buddy turned higher then medium, even during the coldest, windiest days. Its studded with 2x4's and has the yellow house insulation in the walls, and ceiling. Floor is 3" of styrofoam insulation. Even if the heater is a little small, I could always supplement with my big buddy until its up to temp.
Old 01-20-2017, 02:36 PM
Minnow

Default size

My shack is 7x13 inside. 2 small fans on ceiling to circulate air.

Tags
heat