Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
New shimano tranx 300/400 - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Muskie Central > General Discussion

Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 01-27-2017, 10:17 PM
1/4 oz Jig 1/4 oz Jig is offline
Minnow
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 46
Default New shimano tranx 300/400

Was in the process of looking at a reel to throw double 10's. Then news of this bad boy broke. Which reel would you use for double 10's? I saw the low speed 5.8.1 comes only with the double paddle handle and pulls in 30" per crank and the high speed 7.6.1 comes with the power handle and pulls in 40" per crank. I like the power handle and the ability to really burn them in but I don't want it to feel like i'm reeling in a garbage can lid lol! Any thoughts?
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
  #2  
Old 01-28-2017, 08:58 AM
Paulski67's Avatar
Paulski67 Paulski67 is online now
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Nov 1999
Location: Twin Cities, MN
Posts: 515
Default

Hard to say, as they do not come out until March I believe.

If you want some thoughts on the new 300/400 head on over to M1, and under tackle & equipment there is a lenghy on going discussion. I saw a reel guru mention the 400 in 5:8 would be good for double 10's, but you would want a power handle which I think is only on the 300 right now as you mentioned. Not sure how long before Shimano offers a power handle for you. For sure I would think you want the 400 model.
__________________
2002 Ranger 617 DVS
2004 Mercury Optimax 150
Mercury High Five
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 01-28-2017, 08:12 PM
Mojo1269's Avatar
Mojo1269 Mojo1269 is offline
Wallhanger
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: MSP
Posts: 656
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1/4 oz Jig View Post
Was in the process of looking at a reel to throw double 10's. Then news of this bad boy broke. Which reel would you use for double 10's? I saw the low speed 5.8.1 comes only with the double paddle handle and pulls in 30" per crank and the high speed 7.6.1 comes with the power handle and pulls in 40" per crank. I like the power handle and the ability to really burn them in but I don't want it to feel like i'm reeling in a garbage can lid lol! Any thoughts?

The lower gear ratio will be easier for all day use. If you are looking to burn the snot out of 10's the high ratio will do that but will be more laborious. I have both a HG and a PG Tranx now and the PG gets most of my double 10 use and the HG is only used on blades when I really want to get them smoking....
Reply With Quote
 
  #4  
Old 01-28-2017, 09:35 PM
1/4 oz Jig 1/4 oz Jig is offline
Minnow
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 46
Default

Thanks for the responses. I use my Curado 300Ej right now for 10's and it's a pain in the you know what! I was thinking that having the lower gear ratio would make it easier but it seems odd that there's no power handle on the lower speed reel. I know the tranx 500 is a sweet reel but don't feel like dropping $500 for one. The tranx 400 is in my price range. I know no other reel really can do what the tranx 500 can but was looking for the next best thing.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 01-29-2017, 03:15 PM
Mojo1269's Avatar
Mojo1269 Mojo1269 is offline
Wallhanger
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: MSP
Posts: 656
Default

I think you could be the house that you can get a Power Handle from Shimano by Summer Time or Dave Reel Service or some of the other reel service companies will have one available if an existing power handle does not fit..
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 01-30-2017, 01:35 PM
bloodman's Avatar
bloodman bloodman is offline
Wallhanger
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Belvidere, Il
Posts: 808
Default

I know guys talk a lot about the reel for pulling 10s but I really think it has more to do with the rod. Just holding the rod is a challenge. I pull 10s all day with a tranx Hg and no problem. Also a revo toro HS and same. Soft rod vs stiff rod make a ton of difference.
The new reels I would do this. 400 5.8 for 10s. 400 7.6 for rubber.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 01-30-2017, 01:47 PM
Ricky Spanish Ricky Spanish is online now
Keeper
 
Join Date: May 2016
Location: Central WI
Posts: 264
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bloodman View Post
Soft rod vs stiff rod make a ton of difference.
Sorry to hijack, but can you please explain? Soft rod is better or worse? I am new to chasing muskies and I don't like pulling double 10's AT ALL. Maybe it is my set up, maybe I'm just a wimp. I mostly use a Toro Beast and an 8' heavy Mojo Musky. PM me if you'd prefer.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 01-30-2017, 02:24 PM
bloodman's Avatar
bloodman bloodman is offline
Wallhanger
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Belvidere, Il
Posts: 808
Default

A somewhat stiffer rod and point towards bait when reeling in will provide the least resistance on the rod guides making it easier. Not always possible but is best. Try it whenever you start fishing again. Hold your rod straight to the bait and reel in. Then hold your rod 90 degrees to the bait and reel in.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 01-31-2017, 10:00 AM
K Gonefishin's Avatar
K Gonefishin K Gonefishin is offline
Wallhanger
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Cleveland, Ohio, USA.
Posts: 4,719
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1/4 oz Jig View Post
Thanks for the responses. I use my Curado 300Ej right now for 10's and it's a pain in the you know what! I was thinking that having the lower gear ratio would make it easier but it seems odd that there's no power handle on the lower speed reel. I know the tranx 500 is a sweet reel but don't feel like dropping $500 for one. The tranx 400 is in my price range. I know no other reel really can do what the tranx 500 can but was looking for the next best thing.
Saltist or Lexa 400 would be the next best thing, or Toro S
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 04:58 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2017 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.