Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
Powering electric Winch - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Boats, Motors, Electronics and Trailers > Trailers

Notices

Old 02-20-2017, 07:50 PM
Wallhanger

Default Powering electric Winch

Picked up a 2500# ATV winch on clearance at Cabelas for $80, controls and all. Thoughts were to possibly mount it on the boat trailer. For something with that draw, what are my wiring options? Supposed to be wired direct to the battery with 8 gauge for that short ATV mounted run. Max draw around 150 amps. Running wires all the way up to the truck's battery seems a bit expensive. I was thinking of buying a small deep cycle with a battery case and mounting that also on the trailer and just charging it with the portable charger after trips. Opinions??
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-21-2017, 06:02 AM
Slot Fish

For what it's worth I chose to power mine off of the truck battery. I did not want to deal with charging and maintaining another battery.

Good luck.
Old 02-21-2017, 06:34 AM
Minn guest

I bought my last boat from a older couple,he had a 3000 lb winch with a 27 size deep cycle battery mounted on the trailer, he said if your only winching the last 3-5 feet the battery lasted a long time between charges.
If you wanted you could make a pigtail on you trailer harness to charge the trailer battery, I've got one on mine that charges my trolling batteries well I drive.

Old 02-21-2017, 07:54 AM
Minnow

The battery on the trailer adds a lot of weight to the tongue. Makes it harder to push the trailer around by hand. I have winches on two boats, and keep a deep cycle battery in the bed of my truck and it works great. Same power cord for both winches Simple to move to another vehicle. I have a locking topper so the risk of battery theft at a landing is minimal, much less than having the battery on the trailer.
Old 02-22-2017, 10:15 PM
Charter Member

Just make up a 25 foot long jumper cable of 6 gauge wire with a trolling motor plug on the end of it. This is assuming that you have a 12 volt spigot available on your trolling motor plug.

Then, when you want to winch up the boat, just grab the jumper wire from the boat and plug it into the winch. Push the button and the winch will bring the boat on the trailer.

You may be able to get by with a much shorter wire if you normally never have the boat more than about 5 feet off the winch stand.

Good luck
Old 02-23-2017, 03:43 AM
Wallhanger

I've been using an electric winch for many yrs and never had a problem. mine is mounted in a battery box on the trailer. I have a 2500# on my small 17' tri hull trailer and a 3500# on my 21' cobia trailer. I usually only winch the last few feet and can go a few trips between charges. but it is always best for the battery to charge after a couple of trips.
Old 02-23-2017, 09:58 AM
Charter Member

Custom,
A good friend of mine used an electric winch on his rig.

He carried the battery in a box in the back of his truck. He kept a 10 foot extension cord - made of 6 gauge wire that would reach from his truck box to the plug on the winch on the trailer.

He would just plug the cord into the plug on the electric winch.

When he put his boat away, he would take the battery out of the truck and set it on the floor. He would charge the battery once a month and never had any issues.

Good luck
Old 02-23-2017, 08:09 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by last chance View Post
I've been using an electric winch for many yrs and never had a problem. mine is mounted in a battery box on the trailer. I have a 2500# on my small 17' tri hull trailer and a 3500# on my 21' cobia trailer. I usually only winch the last few feet and can go a few trips between charges. but it is always best for the battery to charge after a couple of trips.
Same here, battery on the trailer. Works fine.
Vietnam, 68-69 Army
Old 02-25-2017, 07:23 PM
Keeper

Hmmm. I was looking at a n winch today at BassPro. Couple bucks more and I could have an electric winch. I like the sounds of that.

I don't want to steal your thread, but how do you operate the winch from inside the boat?
Old 02-26-2017, 01:52 AM
Charter Member

HanR,

If you use the jumper wire from the winch to your trolling motor plug in the front of the boat, you don't operate the winch from inside the boat.

Rather, you drop the jumper wire out of your boat and toss it over the winch. Then, you get out of the boat, if by yourself and plug the wire into the winch and winch the boat up on the trailer.

If you have a driver, they grab the wire that you toss to them from the boat and they plug it into the winch and they hit the switch to tighten up the winch.

Good luck