Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
Powering electric Winch - Page 2 - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Boats, Motors, Electronics and Trailers > Trailers

Notices

Old 02-26-2017, 12:31 PM
Wallhanger

A few thoughts on trailer winches.
ATV winches are not designed to hold or secure loads. Read the warnings.https://warn.com/atv/winches/pdf/89294A0_rs.pdf
If you use an ATV winch on a boat trailer use a very secure safety chain or strap.

Good electric boat winches are designed to secure the boat.
They also have a handle for manual operation in case the motor or wiring fails.
Winches with wireless remotes are available.
If you are mounting a battery to the trailer to power a winch, an ATV or lawn tractor size should be good for at least 5 loadings.
Humminbird Helix 10 mega si and 2 898s
Talon 12'
Lowrance HDS 5 gen2, used mostly for engine monitoring.

Free advice, and worth every penny.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-26-2017, 01:20 PM
Wallhanger

I did some more researching and most electric boat winches also warn not to use them to secure the boat for towing.
So if I ever add an electric winch I will secure the bow eye with a strong ratchet strap.
Talon 12'

Old 02-27-2017, 02:59 AM
Wallhanger

I've been using atv winches on my trailers and never had a problem. but to be on the safe side I use ratchet straps on the back of my boat, then use a safety chain up front.

I'm putting a new superwinch lt 4000 winch on my larger boat this spring. it has dynamic and mechanical brakes on it.

Last edited by last chance; 02-27-2017 at 03:04 AM.

Old 02-27-2017, 08:30 AM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by pale ryder View Post
ATV winches are not designed to hold or secure loads. Read the warnings.https://warn.com/atv/winches/pdf/89294A0_rs.pdf
If you use an ATV winch on a boat trailer use a very secure safety chain or strap.

If you are mounting a battery to the trailer to power a winch, an ATV or lawn tractor size should be good for at least 5 loadings.
Good to know, thanks!!! This is just going to be an aid for certain boat ramps and plan on keeping the crank winch on the trailer also. The great lakes ramps around here are fine and I can get my trailer deep enough to minimize the winching. Most of the inland DNR ramps are terrible though. Short and shallow. I can barely get my 21' past the trailer tires before I have to winch when retrieving. Even with a 2-speed winch, it's a workout! Once I get it to the bow roller, plan was to tighten it up and secure it with the manual winch and safety strap. After your input, I think it will be a good idea to back off the tension on the electric winch after it's secure.
Old 03-01-2017, 08:31 PM
Keeper

I like the idea of remote control. Getting out of the boat isn't always an option. I fish ice out to ice up. No problem standing in water in the summer, but that isn't happening the rest of the year.

Good to know about the winch holding capacity. I do have two bow eyes, upper and lower. Never knew what the upper was for, could have been used by the PO for a safety chain. I hook my manual winch to the bottom bow eye. Or the top bow eye could have been for launching by yourself, hook a rope to the eye and set her free. Pull it back in after the truck/trailer are stowed.
Old 03-02-2017, 06:14 AM
Wallhanger

Quote:

all the boat trailer winches I've looked at recommend using a safety chain or strap. the winches is not recommended to hold the load in place. so why pay 600.00 for a boat trailer winch that doesn't recommend it to hold the load. a superwinch 4000# with duel brake cost's 179.00 on ebay and does a great job holding the load.

I've been using the superwinch 3000# on my 21' cobia for a few yrs now. never had a problem with the winch not holding the boat in place until just recently. now on a long trip is will sometimes let the boat ease back just a little. but it only has a dynamic brake. the 4000# winch I'm getting this spring has a dynamic and mechanical brake.
Old 03-02-2017, 06:07 PM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by last chance View Post
all the boat trailer winches I've looked at recommend using a safety chain or strap. the winches is not recommended to hold the load in place. so why pay 600.00 for a boat trailer winch that doesn't recommend it to hold the load. a superwinch 4000# with duel brake cost's 179.00 on ebay and does a great job holding the load.

I've been using the superwinch 3000# on my 21' cobia for a few yrs now. never had a problem with the winch not holding the boat in place until just recently. now on a long trip is will sometimes let the boat ease back just a little. but it only has a dynamic brake. the 4000# winch I'm getting this spring has a dynamic and mechanical brake.
I just looked at the Superwinch website and they say the brake is "automatic 100% load holding", so Superwinch may be the best choice.
The only thing left is what to do to load the boat if the winch fails.
Talon 12'

Old 03-02-2017, 06:39 PM
Wallhanger

Quote:
I just looked at the Superwinch website and they say the brake is "automatic 100% load holding", so Superwinch may be the best choice.
The only thing left is what to do to load the boat if the winch fails.
then you back the trailer down and get your feet wet and hook up the safety chain.
Old 03-03-2017, 05:35 AM
Charter Member

Pale,
A story from many years ago.

I had my two boys and myself out on a smaller lake enjoying the evening. We were doing a bit of fishing for panfish.

Suddenly, we noticed this run about running around and acting erratically. It came by us and then zipped away. In the process, it became clear to me that the driver was WAY over the legal drinking limit.

But, the boat left and went up to the other end of the lake. Suddenly, I heard a high pitched motor whine and glanced up - just in time to see the run about - beginning to roll over. The drunk driver had made enough erratic maneuvers to finally flip the boat. There was a pontoon boat near us and I quickly moved over to him and suggested the he high tail it to the other end of the lake to help rescue the folks since he had an easier platform for folks to get onto his boat.

I quickly powered up to the other end, to be sure that the folks were surviving while in the water.

All of the folks that had been in the boat were hanging onto the rolled over boat, so I asked that they hang on until the pontoon boat got up to pick them up. About the time that the pontoon boat had picked up the last folks from the water that were leaving the overturned boat, I could hear sirens of emergency vehicles coming to the lake. Someone on shore had seen the event and had called for help.

Since help was on scene, I elected to stay out in the middle of the lake and away from any of the crowds going on - on shore with the emergency folks. The owner of the boat, had stayed with his boat, while the rest of the folks had gone into shore. After the crowd and emergency folks had left the lake, I worked with the fellow left on the boat to get over to a shallow sand bar, where he was able to stand up and tip his boat back over, so that it was upright.

Then, I towed him and his flooded boat back to shore. I asked that he get his vehicle and trailer and back it down the ramp. By that time, everyone else had left the lake so we were not bothered by a bunch of on lookers. The boat was a derelict and the trailer was even worse. He had about 3 feet of rotten rope on his winch and the trailer looked like it was about ready to collapse at any moment. At any rate, he backed the trailer out far enough, so that the rear bumper of his vehicle was under water, and the trailer was 100% submersed, except for the tongue of the trailer. We worked the flooded boat up onto the trailer and were able to snap on the safety chain to the bow of the boat, even though there wasn't a winch rope on the winch.

Since, I suspected that the trailer would not take the weight of the boat filled with water, I asked that he pull the trailer ahead just enough so that the water could begin draining out of the boat over the transom. Then, I lent him a pair of pliers, which I never got back to remove the drain plug that was well under water. He gradually worked the trailer higher and higher out of the water as the water continued to drain out of the boat. Finally, the boat was up on dry land and the rest of the water drained out of the boat.
During the commotion, one of his friends came from his home and was on hand to drive his rig home - sober - in contrast to his friend who was rather under the weather.

------------------
So, to answer the original question, if the winch fails, back the trailer in far enough to float the boat up to the winch stand and then hook on the safety chain, and secure the boat to the trailer with a spare rope, before pulling the trailer out of the water.

Be safe

p.s.
Yes, vehicles run just fine with the tail pipe under water. However, it is a good idea to keep the engine running to keep water from running up the tail pipe. Hopefully the ramp is long enough to allow you to get the trailer fully immersed in the water without running out of a solid surface for the vehicle.
Old 03-03-2017, 11:04 AM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by REW View Post
Pale,
A story from many years ago.

I had my two boys and myself out on a smaller lake enjoying the evening. We were doing a bit of fishing for panfish.

Suddenly, we noticed this run about running around and acting erratically. It came by us and then zipped away. In the process, it became clear to me that the driver was WAY over the legal drinking limit.

But, the boat left and went up to the other end of the lake. Suddenly, I heard a high pitched motor whine and glanced up - just in time to see the run about - beginning to roll over. The drunk driver had made enough erratic maneuvers to finally flip the boat. There was a pontoon boat near us and I quickly moved over to him and suggested the he high tail it to the other end of the lake to help rescue the folks since he had an easier platform for folks to get onto his boat.

I quickly powered up to the other end, to be sure that the folks were surviving while in the water.

All of the folks that had been in the boat were hanging onto the rolled over boat, so I asked that they hang on until the pontoon boat got up to pick them up. About the time that the pontoon boat had picked up the last folks from the water that were leaving the overturned boat, I could hear sirens of emergency vehicles coming to the lake. Someone on shore had seen the event and had called for help.

Since help was on scene, I elected to stay out in the middle of the lake and away from any of the crowds going on - on shore with the emergency folks. The owner of the boat, had stayed with his boat, while the rest of the folks had gone into shore. After the crowd and emergency folks had left the lake, I worked with the fellow left on the boat to get over to a shallow sand bar, where he was able to stand up and tip his boat back over, so that it was upright.

Then, I towed him and his flooded boat back to shore. I asked that he get his vehicle and trailer and back it down the ramp. By that time, everyone else had left the lake so we were not bothered by a bunch of on lookers. The boat was a derelict and the trailer was even worse. He had about 3 feet of rotten rope on his winch and the trailer looked like it was about ready to collapse at any moment. At any rate, he backed the trailer out far enough, so that the rear bumper of his vehicle was under water, and the trailer was 100% submersed, except for the tongue of the trailer. We worked the flooded boat up onto the trailer and were able to snap on the safety chain to the bow of the boat, even though there wasn't a winch rope on the winch.

Since, I suspected that the trailer would not take the weight of the boat filled with water, I asked that he pull the trailer ahead just enough so that the water could begin draining out of the boat over the transom. Then, I lent him a pair of pliers, which I never got back to remove the drain plug that was well under water. He gradually worked the trailer higher and higher out of the water as the water continued to drain out of the boat. Finally, the boat was up on dry land and the rest of the water drained out of the boat.
During the commotion, one of his friends came from his home and was on hand to drive his rig home - sober - in contrast to his friend who was rather under the weather.

------------------
So, to answer the original question, if the winch fails, back the trailer in far enough to float the boat up to the winch stand and then hook on the safety chain, and secure the boat to the trailer with a spare rope, before pulling the trailer out of the water.

Be safe

p.s.
Yes, vehicles run just fine with the tail pipe under water. However, it is a good idea to keep the engine running to keep water from running up the tail pipe. Hopefully the ramp is long enough to allow you to get the trailer fully immersed in the water without running out of a solid surface for the vehicle.
Hey Roger, could you please repeat that. I didn't quite get that . . . LOL . .
Lowrance HDS7 Gen 2 Touch unit networked to a LMS 520c
Lowrance Engine Interface cable
Minn Kota Power Drive V2 US2 now with i-Pilot
Custom designed and built rod holders
Custom designed and built down rigger platforms
All towed with my Trusty G2 '07 Toyota Tundra