Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
Mounting SI Transducer - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Boats, Motors, Electronics and Trailers > Electronics

Notices

Old 02-24-2017, 01:31 PM
Minnow

Default Mounting SI Transducer

I am going to purchase a Helix 10 Si for my Lund pro guide and I have a couple questions on mounting the transducer.

First, Humminbird suggest mounting the transducer on the starboard side based on my prop rotation; however, I have a mounting plate for my current transducer on the port side. How much would it affect the reading if I kept it on the port side as long as I have no obstructions either direction? I imagine that it would work better to have on the port side if thatís the direction I plan to scan most with the SI?

Is it ideal to use both the SI transducer as well as a high speed transducer or should everything work fine with just the SI transducer? I imagine that using the high speed transducer would allow you to mount the SI transducer closer to the motor and also up higher on the transom to avoid damage?

Thanks,
Joe
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-24-2017, 02:17 PM
Wallhanger

Use both, also mount the SI a bit higher than normal and it will keep it out of harms way.

Al
Old 02-24-2017, 09:16 PM
Wallhanger

Run 2 SI transducers, add another transducer mounting plate and place your transducers at the furthest point on each plate away from the engine, then place your high speed transducer beside and lower then one of the SI transducers. I run mine that way and works excellent. Almost impossible to get any interference from the engine.

The picture isnt of my boat but another guy on here sent it to me and i set mine up just like his, and it works perfectly. .
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	doubletransducer.jpg
Views:	362
Size:	55.2 KB
ID:	244385  
Terrova
Hydro Wave

Last edited by Darrenf442; 02-24-2017 at 09:32 PM.

Old 02-25-2017, 01:46 AM
Keeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darrenf442 View Post
Run 2 SI transducers, add another transducer mounting plate and place your transducers at the furthest point on each plate away from the engine, then place your high speed transducer beside and lower then one of the SI transducers. I run mine that way and works excellent. Almost impossible to get any interference from the engine.

The picture isnt of my boat but another guy on here sent it to me and i set mine up just like his, and it works perfectly. .

Real nice job on the dual SI TRANSDUCER install WITH A SEPARATE TRANSDUCER FOR 2d....GOOD job. mY BOAT IS RIGGED THE SAME WAY.
Old 02-25-2017, 08:28 AM
Slot Fish

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crackback View Post
Real nice job on the dual SI TRANSDUCER install WITH A SEPARATE TRANSDUCER FOR 2d....GOOD job. mY BOAT IS RIGGED THE SAME WAY.
That picture is helpful. I posted recently that my ducer was out of the water; but it now occurs to me that's just how it would look at wide open throttle.

I lowered the DI ducer as far as I can on my mounting plate and am hoping to luck out and get high speed readings. If not I will be adding the separate high speed ducer and Y cable as I found them at a local retailer.

Rick
Old 02-25-2017, 09:25 AM
Wallhanger

I mounted my first/only transducer a few years back and was really concerned with getting it right. I had a portable finder I used for my Canada trips. So I mounted the new transducer on that portable bracket. Took it out on the lake. I could make all adjustments up/down, left/right from the boat. Found the sweet spot for no turbulence interference, and also the sweet spot for depth at speed. Well some speed. Locked everything down, marked the spot. Got home and installed the mounting plate and transducer. Sounds like a like a work, but I had never installed one before. I wanted to be very sure to get it right. Very happy that I took the time for a water trial. Just a note, if you do this, during the trial, make sure to run the boat with the motor in different trim positions. I didn't, and I lose the bottom at 20-23 MPH if the motor is trimmed up. Still I am happy with that.
Old 02-26-2017, 01:11 AM
Keeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by packpro View Post
I mounted my first/only transducer a few years back and was really concerned with getting it right. I had a portable finder I used for my Canada trips. So I mounted the new transducer on that portable bracket. Took it out on the lake. I could make all adjustments up/down, left/right from the boat. Found the sweet spot for no turbulence interference, and also the sweet spot for depth at speed. Well some speed. Locked everything down, marked the spot. Got home and installed the mounting plate and transducer. Sounds like a like a work, but I had never installed one before. I wanted to be very sure to get it right. Very happy that I took the time for a water trial. Just a note, if you do this, during the trial, make sure to run the boat with the motor in different trim positions. I didn't, and I lose the bottom at 20-23 MPH if the motor is trimmed up. Still I am happy with that.

You did a good job. . I do the same thing. Then I use the portable aluminum transducer bracket with a spare SI transducer when I fly into Canada on the rental boats. It is money well spent.
Old 02-26-2017, 10:55 AM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by RodBlder View Post
I am going to purchase a Helix 10 Si for my Lund pro guide and I have a couple questions on mounting the transducer.

First, Humminbird suggest mounting the transducer on the starboard side based on my prop rotation; however, I have a mounting plate for my current transducer on the port side. How much would it affect the reading if I kept it on the port side as long as I have no obstructions either direction? I imagine that it would work better to have on the port side if thatís the direction I plan to scan most with the SI?

Is it ideal to use both the SI transducer as well as a high speed transducer or should everything work fine with just the SI transducer? I imagine that using the high speed transducer would allow you to mount the SI transducer closer to the motor and also up higher on the transom to avoid damage?

Thanks,
Joe
I had a SI transducer mounted on the port side of my last boat, a Ranger 618 tiller.
I have the same transducer mounted starboard on my Skeeter.
I can't see any difference.

It is easier to use two transducers. An SI and a high speed 2D.
But I used just the HDSI on my Ranger and was able to get SI up to about 20 MPH and 2D at top speed of 35 MPH.
It is a little harder to adjust a HDSI to work at high speeds and it is vulnerable to hitting objects.
Humminbird Helix 10 mega si and 2 898s
Talon 12'
Lowrance HDS 5 gen2, used mostly for engine monitoring.

Free advice, and worth every penny.
Old 02-26-2017, 03:25 PM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by pale ryder View Post
I had a SI transducer mounted on the port side of my last boat, a Ranger 618 tiller.
I have the same transducer mounted starboard on my Skeeter.
I can't see any difference.

It is easier to use two transducers. An SI and a high speed 2D.
But I used just the HDSI on my Ranger and was able to get SI up to about 20 MPH and 2D at top speed of 35 MPH.
It is a little harder to adjust a HDSI to work at high speeds and it is vulnerable to hitting objects.

That's why I raised mine up a bit, works fine at low speeds and the 2D transducer works well a bit lower for high speed.
At the cost of a SI ducer, I like it out of the way.

Al
Old 02-26-2017, 03:48 PM
Wallhanger

Default Mounting SI Transducer

Deleted

Last edited by Kevin23; 02-26-2017 at 03:54 PM.