Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
choosing tires - Page 2 - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Boats, Motors, Electronics and Trailers > Trailers

Notices

Old 03-02-2017, 07:09 PM
Minnow

well I wish I could have checked here this morning. I ended up just going with the marathons so I will see how they do. The new Goodyears look like a great option and will have to keep my eyes open so see how they do. The Tires where made 09/16 so that kinda sucks but like previously above I bet its hard to find 02/17 tires around here. Thanks for all your guys help and I will keep this up to date. The main thing is that its done and I am fishing Walleye in the morning.
Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-03-2017, 11:44 AM
Don't Tread on Me

Except for the reference HRG posted regarding the new Goodyear trailer tire I never knew that trailer tires were steel belted. The point that stood out the most in those reference by REW suggest to me a significant link to belt separation due to steel belts rusting and bonding degradation due to contamination and thereby causing belt separation. The first link also recommended replacing tires after 6 years from manufacture date but also stated that they should never be placed into service after 6 years from manufacture date and definitely be replaced after 10 years. Some contradictions to be sure. Also, I didn't really see any mention of trailer tires. Was thinking that's just because they are not subject to the same loading and abuse as a motor vehicle and perhaps because what I earlier mentioned regarding steel belts. Regardless, I'll replace mine when I think they need it.

Old 03-03-2017, 03:42 PM
Lil Bob

Regarding the Endurance. From Goodyear...The Endurance tire is built with twin steel belts to increase durability and improve stability while a stiff scuff guard sidewall resists damage. This tire is intended for trailer use only. It weighs 44 lbs, has a max load of 3640/3195 lbs, a maximum air pressure of 80 psi and should be used on a rim width of 6-7.5".
Old 03-03-2017, 05:20 PM
Wallhanger

I'd let other people buy the Goodyear Endurance in the first year of production, see what they have to say after towing for at least 1 season. Look how long it took Goodyear to clean up their mess after moving Marathon production to China. Caution is advised. Meantime, I bought Carlysle Radial Trail RH tires last year and have both good personal experience plus see many favorable reviews.
Old 03-04-2017, 04:12 AM
Wallhanger

I have to agree with REW on the age of tires. I've had old trailer tires fail that had hardly any tread wear and no signs of weather checking/cracking/bulges. One was one the back axle of a tandem, that eliminates running over something as a cause. My tires are always properly inflated too.
Old 03-04-2017, 08:22 AM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by yarcraft91 View Post
I'd let other people buy the Goodyear Endurance in the first year of production, see what they have to say after towing for at least 1 season. Look how long it took Goodyear to clean up their mess after moving Marathon production to China. Caution is advised. Meantime, I bought Carlysle Radial Trail RH tires last year and have both good personal experience plus see many favorable reviews.
Re Carlisle ,Same here. Just replaced 10 year old Marathons with Carlisle Radial Trail HD. Higher speed rating than Marathons. The GY Endurance would have been tempting but as Yarcraft suggested,I was hesitant because they just hit the market. But then found the Endurance was not even offered in a 13" version, so was not even an option.

No hesitation on Carlisle. Through the years I've used this brand previously on this trailer and several others. Never an issue.Got long and reliable service out of all of them, both in mileage and age. The Carlisle RH has a very good reputation, the newer HD version has replaced it. Basically the same tire, just with a different tread pattern, supposedly to further reduce rolling resistance and run a bit cooler. Also getting good reviews.
Old 03-05-2017, 06:40 AM
Wallhanger

Well I have run Marathons for a very long time on my trailers and never had any issues. I do how ever change them out every 5 years or so. I like good tires on all my vehicles, the tire shop likes me.
Old 03-05-2017, 09:35 AM
Slot Fish

Default trailer tires

My last set of trailer tires came from Discount Tires Direct. I have not had a problem yet. I took mine over to the Firestone store and had them mounted and balanced for $9.25 each. That also includes the disposal of the old ones. You can choose your tire size by clicking on: http://www.discounttiredirect.com/di...railerTires.do
Old 03-06-2017, 07:57 PM
Keeper

https://www.safercar.gov/tires/pages/tires_aging.html

Many factors affect tire age. See above link.
One thing that hasn't been mentioned yet is rubber. Over time it degrades, you can't see it, but it is happening.