Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
Bobber fishing for walleye - Page 2 - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Walleye Message Central > Strictly Fishing

Notices

Old 03-06-2017, 12:12 PM
cutting edge

Lake Wisconsin & StrutNut,
I am just curious, as to what the advantages of casting out as far as you can from the boat are? For me, the advantages of keeping the bobber close to the boat are 1. much better hookset ability. 2. better depth control (knowing exactly what depth my bobber is in & knowing how far off the bottom I am). 3. less problem with wind affecting line ( wind creates lots of slack, the further away the more slack to recover) 4. better visual awareness, to see what is happening, when being bit. Now, under certain situations (fishing pretty shallow on calm waters for example) I will cast further than usual, but for the most part the advantages to casting as far as possible doesn't make sense to me & I would like to know what benefits you gain by doing so, as I'm always willing to learn something new.

Good Luck!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-06-2017, 12:35 PM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by cutting edge View Post
I am just curious, as to what the advantages of casting out as far as you can from the boat are? For me, the advantages of keeping the bobber close to the boat are 1. much better hookset ability. 2. better depth control (knowing exactly what depth my bobber is in & knowing how far off the bottom I am). 3. less problem with wind affecting line ( wind creates lots of slack, the further away the more slack to recover) 4. better visual awareness, to see what is happening, when being bit. Now, under certain situations (fishing pretty shallow on calm waters for example) I will cast further than usual, but for the most part the advantages to casting as far as possible doesn't make sense to me & I would like to know what benefits you gain by doing so, as I'm always willing to learn something new.

Good Luck!
I also use braid and cast my bobbers a mile.
1. With braid, you lose no hookset ability at distance.
2. Yes, you have to know your spot a little better, but a few casts with an ice fishing depth finder to different spots will tell you what you need to know on depth.
3. Wind: normally if I am anchored I have two anchors in and two slip bobbers in. One slip bobber is held out with the wind, and I adjust it closer or farther. Wind does not affect this bobber as there is no slack line.

The second bobber is casted out the bow or stern and allowed to drift with the wind. There can be slack line on this bobber. You have to carefully reel up the slack. A long rod (mine are 7-1/2') allows a large sweeping hookset that takes up a lot of line in a hurry.

So often your bobber gets hit as it comes into the same "spot". The farther you can cast, the more of these fish holding mini-spots you can hit.
Old 03-06-2017, 12:51 PM
Wallhanger

Quote:

Good Luck!
For me, the fish start out off the structure and move shallower as the night progresses. So about and hour to sunset, getting out as far in the deeper what I can, the better. As the night progresses, I am usually very close.

Old 03-06-2017, 02:06 PM
cutting edge

I forgot to mention that by tossing the bobber out using an underhand "flip" my bait stays hooked ( without tearing off after multiple casts) and stays much livelier with a short easy cast. I also prefer mono (bobber stops grip mono better, however some braids will also work). I do get the drift aspect (covering water), however usually I've marked fish, caught fish using other methods, or I'm in a area I'm familiar with before dropping anchor to bobber fish. Either way, if you're catching fish whatever way you do it, is just as right as any other way. This is just how I do it. Also, conditions play a part in my approach also.

Good Luck!
Old 03-06-2017, 03:33 PM
Charter Member

Often, bobber fishing works very well when fishing rock piles.

The fish like to move along the bottom looking for dinner.

So, I will anchor up on a rock pile, with a known bottom depth.

I will try to fish the entire rock pile over the course of a fishing time. That means changing the length of the line below the bobber.

To find that length, I will set my slip bobber at what I think is the right length based on depth finder information, but will clip on some extra weight so that the bobber sinks.

I will cast to the area where I want to fish and observe the bobber. Often, I will add a 2nd string bobber stop above the bobber. Then, when I cast and the line slips through the bobber and stops, I continue to observe the bobber to see how much more line goes down after the bobber sinks. I will generally like to adjust the slip bobber so that the bait will be 6 inches to 2 feet above the bottom - depending on the type structure that I am on. I may have to cast a couple of times to get the information, but once the information has been dialed in, the extra weight is removed, the slip bobber knot is in the final adjustment and fishing begins.

Take care
Old 03-07-2017, 01:02 PM
Minnow

One thing about bobber fishing with live bait is if the lake/river you are in has a lot of crayfish if the wind/current takes the bobber over so that the hook gets close to ground you can expect to be robbed instantly.

If that's the case you can change to a drop-shot style application but beware.
Old 03-07-2017, 01:42 PM
cutting edge

Well, I can tell you, that I would never use a bobber as a search bait, so, other than that, what benefits do those that cast as far from the boat as they can get? Like I said, I can see if you're in shallow, calm water & are trying to be stealthy, but in any other situation I can tell you that I've seen more missed hooksets casting too far (especially on windy days, regardless if braid is used or not) that it doesn't make sense. Also I have given numerous reasons to fish closer to the boat, but have basically been given the one same reason why others cast further from the boat. Please enlighten me.

Good Luck!
Old 03-07-2017, 02:53 PM
cutting edge

Sorry, I would like to add one more thing, one other thing I like to do is (especially if using minnows) every now & then lift my rod to move the bobber, to get the bait to swim a little more, many times I get hit right then or shortly after. Either way I hope all of the information we have all given will help you out.

Good Luck!
Old 03-07-2017, 03:22 PM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Well, I can tell you, that I would never use a bobber as a search bait, so, other than that, what benefits do those that cast as far from the boat as they can get? Like I said, I can see if you're in shallow, calm water & are trying to be stealthy, but in any other situation I can tell you that I've seen more missed hooksets casting too far (especially on windy days, regardless if braid is used or not) that it doesn't make sense. Also I have given numerous reasons to fish closer to the boat, but have basically been given the one same reason why others cast further from the boat. Please enlighten me.

Good Luck!
Bob and Bill are bobber fishing.
Bill fishes his two bobbers close to the boat.
Bob can cast his bobbers a long ways out and can cover twice as much ground.
Bob gets 30 bites because he is fishing a larger area. Bill gets 15 bites in his smaller area.
Bob (for the purposes of this thread), is half drunk and a horrible hooksetter, so he misses a third of his fish.
Bill watches Mike Iaconelli on the TV all the time, so he is a super awesome hooksetter and never misses a single fish.

When they get to the bar, Bill is bringing out his wallet to buy because Bob crushed him by five fish.
Later, Bob goes home to his smoking hot girlfriend and eats crab legs.
Bill's wife throws the plunger at him when he walks in the door, and says, "I did it again."
Late that night, Bob gets a call that his Aunt Trudy died and left him seven million dollars.
Late that night, someone runs over a skunk right in front of Bill's house.
Old 03-07-2017, 03:54 PM
Keeper

Default That was a good one....

Greetings,

I was laughing so hard that I nearly choked.

Kindest regards....