Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
Pro Kicker dead spot off idle... - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Boats, Motors, Electronics and Trailers > Motors and Props

Notices

Old 03-07-2017, 10:05 PM
Minnow

Question Pro Kicker dead spot off idle...

Did a little tank testing of my "new to me" 2012 9.9 Merc Pro Kicker today and found a "dead spot" just a bit off idle.

I have controls at the helm and when I bump the throttle lever up slowly, the engine RPM increases, then hits a wall. (Not sure what SOG would be as I have yet to get this boat wet.)

A little more careful bumping of the lever and the RPM increase more than what seems the throttle advancement should produce. A tach here would be a GREAT asset!

I've removed the brass plug over the mixture screw and played around a bit with that, but no joy. There's still that dead spot.

Does this carb need a rebuild? Replacement? Maybe the bore or intake track needs refinishing or polishing? Maybe a mod is in order?

Looking for clues to make this lil' guy run smooth through total throttle range before picking up a electronic throttle control.

Any words of wisdom?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-08-2017, 01:13 PM
Charter Member

NSO,
Ignore the problem.

Put the motor on a boat and use it for 100 hours and let us know how it performs after 100 hours of use.

It may very well just be a new out of the box, hiccup that will quickly work itself out.

I haven't heard of others having this issue with the motor in use.

I do know that for most folks who use a small kicker seldom run the engine at an idle. Mostly the engines are running at 1200-1500 in normal trolling and other boat operation.

Take care
Old 03-08-2017, 01:26 PM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by NSO_Fishing View Post
Did a little tank testing of my "new to me" 2012 9.9 Merc Pro Kicker today and found a "dead spot" just a bit off idle.

I have controls at the helm and when I bump the throttle lever up slowly, the engine RPM increases, then hits a wall. (Not sure what SOG would be as I have yet to get this boat wet.)

A little more careful bumping of the lever and the RPM increase more than what seems the throttle advancement should produce. A tach here would be a GREAT asset!

I've removed the brass plug over the mixture screw and played around a bit with that, but no joy. There's still that dead spot.

Does this carb need a rebuild? Replacement? Maybe the bore or intake track needs refinishing or polishing? Maybe a mod is in order?

Looking for clues to make this lil' guy run smooth through total throttle range before picking up a electronic throttle control.

Any words of wisdom?

How many hours are on this motor (approx), and how long since the last use? It may just need a simple tuneup done on it.

I would also throw a tiny tach on it as well, autozone or napa will have them for less than $40. See what really is going on with the rpms.

Old 03-08-2017, 02:31 PM
Wallhanger

Probably a partially plugged jet. Notorious Merc kicker problem with their tiny jets. Give it a good slug of Seafoam, run it a while and see if it clears up. If not, you can take that idle mixture screw out(after you count how many turns from bottom it is set at), then run a tiny wire through it and see if there is an obstruction. The little wire in twist ties works well. Allot of times, old gas will precipitate solids and they drop out in your carb, past your fuel filter, and plug up the jets.
Old 03-09-2017, 04:24 PM
Wallhanger

Is the motor actually bogging? I've owned 4 or 5 pro kickers and I have noticed a bit of slop in the throttle with the remote controls. I too would see if it changes with use. My prediction is it won't. I would suggest you install an itroll or a troll master control. This will give you much finer control of your throttle. It will make a huge difference.
Old 03-09-2017, 05:14 PM

Well I too had this problem at one time. I am positive that it was free play between the inner cable and the outer assembly of the remote console cable. I connected an I-troll to the carb accelerator pump via servo connection and the motor trolls flawlessly. No dead spots what so ever. I'm pretty sure the original problem was just that free play between the inner and outer remote console cable. (By the way. The RPM's would change slightly up/down whenever I turned the Kicker. Figured it was lengthening or shortening the free play in the cable.)
Old 03-10-2017, 07:28 AM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3M TA3 View Post
Well I too had this problem at one time. I am positive that it was free play between the inner cable and the outer assembly of the remote console cable. I connected an I-troll to the carb accelerator pump via servo connection and the motor trolls flawlessly. No dead spots what so ever. I'm pretty sure the original problem was just that free play between the inner and outer remote console cable. (By the way. The RPM's would change slightly up/down whenever I turned the Kicker. Figured it was lengthening or shortening the free play in the cable.)
Could be. Allot of the dead spots also come from the engine running off a partially clogged idle jet, then when it switches over to the clear primary jet, you'll see a jump in RPM's.
Old 03-10-2017, 12:51 PM
Wallhanger

Not a Pro Kicker but a T8 just had to pull the carb apart and clean it out due to a flat spot above idle, ran great at higher throttle. Did not notice any smell taking the carb apart until I hit it with cleaner then I got that varnish smell.
Old 03-11-2017, 09:45 AM
Minnow

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3M TA3 View Post
x2 - exact same issues but smooth through the entire range when controlling with my i-Troll. Seems to confirm that there was just not enough fine control in the low range just above neutral.
Old 03-13-2017, 11:50 AM
Charter Member

I'll suggest taking the cover off the motor and visually watching the linkage as you try to bump it up to a faster rpm. If the linkage on the motor is indeed moving more than the bump you are giving the throttle handle - then you know it's a control issue and not a motor issue.

I run the tiller style - and have found backing the tension knob off to a lighter setting allows better control/small adjustments.

I've also experienced some carb jet plugging. Good news is the PK carb is extremely easy to remove and replace. Takes less than 30 minutes to remove the carb, clean out the ports with carb cleaner and air pressure, and put it back together. It's a job worth trying yourself as I think most can figure it out even if they have not done it before - in less time than it will take just to get to a dealer. It's not difficult.

Observe the linkage travel first. It often discloses the reason why the motor revs up so much is because the linkage next to the motor is indeed moving quite a bit - off small adjustments in the remote throttle handle.

I have no experience with some of the add-on throttle control products.