Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
Pro Kicker dead spot off idle... - Page 2 - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Boats, Motors, Electronics and Trailers > Motors and Props

Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #11  
Old 03-14-2017, 08:42 AM
Lake Wisconsin Lake Wisconsin is offline
Wallhanger
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: .
Posts: 1,432
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3M TA3 View Post
Well I too had this problem at one time. I am positive that it was free play between the inner cable and the outer assembly of the remote console cable. I connected an I-troll to the carb accelerator pump via servo connection and the motor trolls flawlessly. No dead spots what so ever. I'm pretty sure the original problem was just that free play between the inner and outer remote console cable. (By the way. The RPM's would change slightly up/down whenever I turned the Kicker. Figured it was lengthening or shortening the free play in the cable.)
You should be able to test this with moving the throttle cable manually with the cowling off I would think.
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
  #12  
Old 03-20-2017, 06:35 PM
NSO_Fishing's Avatar
NSO_Fishing NSO_Fishing is offline
Minnow
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Location: Central Mn
Posts: 31
Default

Thanks all for the info!! I've been tweaking it a bit and did find the cable a bit loose. But I don't think they was loose enough to make a noticeable difference. I'm headed in to the dealer tomorrow to pick up oil change supplies for both engines and will pick up a carb kit as well.
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 03-21-2017, 01:54 PM
Burr Burr is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Nov 1999
Location: Moorhead, MN, USA.
Posts: 7,910
Default

You really don't need parts to clean the carb. There is one gasket, that is generally re-usable.

If you detected "some" movement in the throttle linkdage - a little movement causes a great deal of difference in throttle control. A little play in the linkage - you've already found your problem and just don't realize it.
Reply With Quote
 
  #14  
Old 03-21-2017, 04:01 PM
NSO_Fishing's Avatar
NSO_Fishing NSO_Fishing is offline
Minnow
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Location: Central Mn
Posts: 31
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burr View Post
You really don't need parts to clean the carb. There is one gasket, that is generally re-usable.

If you detected "some" movement in the throttle linkdage - a little movement causes a great deal of difference in throttle control. A little play in the linkage - you've already found your problem and just don't realize it.
LOL!! Found that out today at the parts counter!

I'll go ahead and adjust all the play out of the cables and see what happens. I'm just wondering... While turning the kicker, won't the cables bind up a bit and pull on the cables?

Over-engineering it, aren't I?
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 03-21-2017, 08:46 PM
Custom Eyes Custom Eyes is online now
Wallhanger
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: NE Michigan
Posts: 4,079
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by NSO_Fishing View Post
LOL!! Found that out today at the parts counter!

I'll go ahead and adjust all the play out of the cables and see what happens. I'm just wondering... While turning the kicker, won't the cables bind up a bit and pull on the cables?

Over-engineering it, aren't I?
If the cable solution doesn't work, I'm telling you, clear that idle jet. Been there and beat my head for a few over the same problem.
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 03-22-2017, 12:09 PM
Burr Burr is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Nov 1999
Location: Moorhead, MN, USA.
Posts: 7,910
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by NSO_Fishing View Post
LOL!! Found that out today at the parts counter!

I'll go ahead and adjust all the play out of the cables and see what happens. I'm just wondering... While turning the kicker, won't the cables bind up a bit and pull on the cables?

Over-engineering it, aren't I?
I'm not sure how you can make the cable connection rock solid - I know others have done it and said their issue with acceleration when turning went away too. It's not a cable adjustment, it is repairing the cable mount bracket. The piece/bracket that holds the cable needs to not flex, at all.

Put a Mcgyver hat on and think it through. I spec'd mine with a tiller handle - so I have not had to resolve the issue with mine. But several I know were able to solve it by making the cable mount rock solid.
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 03-23-2017, 05:26 PM
NSO_Fishing's Avatar
NSO_Fishing NSO_Fishing is offline
Minnow
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Location: Central Mn
Posts: 31
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burr View Post
I'm not sure how you can make the cable connection rock solid - I know others have done it and said their issue with acceleration when turning went away too. It's not a cable adjustment, it is repairing the cable mount bracket. The piece/bracket that holds the cable needs to not flex, at all.

Put a Mcgyver hat on and think it through. I spec'd mine with a tiller handle - so I have not had to resolve the issue with mine. But several I know were able to solve it by making the cable mount rock solid.
Thanks for the info, Burr!! I'll see what I can do...
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 04-06-2017, 04:53 PM
NSO_Fishing's Avatar
NSO_Fishing NSO_Fishing is offline
Minnow
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Location: Central Mn
Posts: 31
Default

6APR2017 AAR:

Had the 1875 on the water (FINALLY) and gave the Pro Kicker a good shake down. As far as overall operation, cleaning the carb made a significant difference! Started MUCH easier and ran like a sewing machine! With the carb cleaning and cable adjustments I think the dead spot off idle has been eliminated. However, I think I adjusted the control cables a bit too tight as the engine speed increases at the steering stops. I'll back them off a bit and hit the lake tomorrow.

Thanks again for all the great advice!!!
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 04-06-2017, 06:52 PM
Custom Eyes Custom Eyes is online now
Wallhanger
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: NE Michigan
Posts: 4,079
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by NSO_Fishing View Post
6APR2017 AAR:

Had the 1875 on the water (FINALLY) and gave the Pro Kicker a good shake down. As far as overall operation, cleaning the carb made a significant difference! Started MUCH easier and ran like a sewing machine! With the carb cleaning and cable adjustments I think the dead spot off idle has been eliminated. However, I think I adjusted the control cables a bit too tight as the engine speed increases at the steering stops. I'll back them off a bit and hit the lake tomorrow.

Thanks again for all the great advice!!!
Good deal! I'd say definitely keep the system treated with Stabil and/or Seafoam religiously. Untreated gas in kicker tanks can go bad easily, even during the season, let alone during storage for allot of people, including myself. I only fill my 6 gallon kicker tank twice per year but treat the gas religiously now, and haven't had a problem since.
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 04-06-2017, 08:04 PM
NSO_Fishing's Avatar
NSO_Fishing NSO_Fishing is offline
Minnow
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Location: Central Mn
Posts: 31
Default

Thank C.E.!

My kicker feeds off the main tank that is and always be treated. Learned that lesson a while ago and remember it well... $$$$
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 11:36 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2017 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.