Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
What rod to pair with a Abu 6500s baitcaster - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Canada Eh? > Canada

Notices

Old 03-11-2017, 04:44 PM
Minnow

Default What rod to pair with a Abu 6500s baitcaster

Hello all. I was able to pick up a brand new Abu Garcia 6500s baitcaster for $9 on clearance yesterday and I am trying to determine what rod to pair it with to maximize its functionality on my first trip to Canada after a long fishing hiatus. I will be responsible for entirely outfitting my group of 4 (son, Dad, brother and myself).

I already have an assortment of L to ML fast action (6' to 7') spinning combos with nice reels. One for each of us and a back up. I have these designated as jigging rods?

I also own 2 rod and reel line counter combos: equipped with Daiwa Sealine SG17LCA reels on Daiwa Heartland 7'6 ML trolling rods. I have had them for years but they are literally brand new and maybe used once. I was thinking I could use these for bottom bouncing?

I have one spinning set up that could probably serve a function. A G.Loomis GL2 HSR 9000s 7'6. Casting crank baits or small spoons maybe?

Which leads me to the Abu Garcia 6500s. I saw at Gander Mountain a St. Croix Triumph 7' Medium-fast and a St. Croix Triumph 7' Medium Heavy. If I went with the medium, could that rod serve different purposes than if I went with the Medium Heavy? I think I sort of envisioned this rod also being used to pitch spoons, bigger baits for pike?

I am not adverse to picking up additional combos to ensure we have what we need up there (and for the future). Canada has been a very long time in the making and nice to know some of the rods will tasted the drink again. Just really rusty in trying to figure it all out.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-11-2017, 06:06 PM
Slot Fish

I'd probably put it on a MH or H rod, 7'6" to 8'6". It's a bigger reel, so it might not work well with anything lighter. Use it for trolling or tossing larger baits if that's what you're interested in doing. Ultimately it depends on what fish you target and how you like to fish for them.
Old 03-11-2017, 09:20 PM
Wallhanger

I have a few 6500s and they are all used with 6'6" MH rods. I used them primarily for saltwater fishing,but they would easily handle large pike and musky.

PjShorthorn

Old 03-14-2017, 07:54 PM
Wallhanger

Wow $9, really good deal, but why didn't you go to the clearance rod rack too. Just kidding!
Old 03-15-2017, 04:26 AM
Keeper

Default Follow-Up

Greetings,

I encourage you to give careful consideration as to weight of the lures you might be throwing with the reel. For example, you might be throwing spinner baits or twitch baits that would weigh from one to three ounces. On the other hand, you might be throwing rubber baits weighing five or more ounces.

Once you establish the targeted weight of lures, you can then select a casting rod that will handle that weight of lures. Selecting a rod before you establish the weight of lures to be thrown is sort of like putting the cart in front of the horse.

I'm guessing that you might end up with a casting medium heavy or heavy power rod or a musky medium heavy power rod. I wouldn't be going less than seven foot in length.

Good fishing and tight lines!!
Old 03-16-2017, 06:24 AM
Minnow

Thank you for the suggestions. Indeed, I really did find the reel for $9 in the clearance bin (along with a few other 80% off surprises). My wife has not been pleased because I have now been effectively conditioned to freight-train it to the fishing clearance section the moment we enter this particular department store (Meijers).

I will lean towards a MH rod....I think I will probably use this set-up for slinging larger spinners and spoons up to about an ounce for pike, etc. I wouldn't use it for throwing anything heavier.
Old 03-16-2017, 07:54 AM

Andre, What do you expect to catch in Canada with this setup? 255 yards of 17 lb test line? Perhaps trolling 150 yards back. I recommend you leave this thing at home during your Canadian trip. I think it would just be a lot of excess baggage that nobody would want to use. I know I wouldn't.....but I'm not fishing for 30# fish either. Good Luck on your adventure.
Old 03-16-2017, 04:14 PM
Wallhanger

Backing, backing and more backing, then your normal casting line, works great for big toothy fish, as long as you know how to set the magnets for casting. I was just kidding on the $9, I got the same one from a local Walmart when picking up some skeet shells. The guy had just brought it back because he said it didn't work right. Had about 200 yds of 30# mono in a birds nest that only a rookie could do. Bought it for $20, and took that heavy crap off and it works like a champ. I have it paired with a 7' MH St Croix Legend Elite.
Old 03-16-2017, 05:00 PM
Caster Oil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aspencreek View Post
Backing, backing and more backing, then your normal casting line, works great for big toothy fish, as long as you know how to set the magnets for casting. I was just kidding on the $9, I got the same one from a local Walmart when picking up some skeet shells. The guy had just brought it back because he said it didn't work right. Had about 200 yds of 30# mono in a birds nest that only a rookie could do. Bought it for $20, and took that heavy crap off and it works like a champ. I have it paired with a 7' MH St Croix Legend Elite.
I don't think this reel has magnets. And I really don't think it's made for casting. Well maybe for something really really big.
Old 03-16-2017, 07:48 PM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caster Oil View Post
I don't think this reel has magnets. And I really don't think it's made for casting. Well maybe for something really really big.
Yes Northern, musky, you know big toothy critters, and they cast like a dream if you understand how they work.