Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
Are you a "flipper"? - Page 2 - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Canada Eh? > Canada

Notices

Old 03-12-2017, 12:53 PM
Keeper

Depends, if I'm really hungry for walleye they all get netted. Bass get lipped and panfish get the flip. All esox go in the net. When I was a kid in the fifties, we had an older neighbor who was a muskie fisherman. One day he opened the cavernous trunk of his 98 Olds and showed me the huge muskie that seemed to go from fender to fender that he had caught and was soon to go to the taxidermist. He pointed out the .22 bullet hole in the head of the fish, which was a standard practice of the day to safely boat such a fish that was to be kept. Of course, that was a different time.

andersaki
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-12-2017, 01:11 PM
Wallhanger

I wonder how many of those old boats had bullet holes in them....
Old 03-12-2017, 01:15 PM
Keeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nimstug View Post
I wonder how many of those old boats had bullet holes in them....
I think that most of the shooting was done over the side of the boat. Them that shoot on board, well......... I guess that they would be up for the Darwin award.

andersaki

Old 03-12-2017, 04:04 PM
Keeper

Anything under 18" flipped. Most bigger fish reach under belly and bring in or just unhook while in water. Net comes out maybe 2 times a day.
Humminbird onix 8nt
Terrova I-pilot Link
Bow mount lift
12' Talon
Old 03-13-2017, 07:37 AM
Charter Member

We flip pretty much everything 16" and less. On Lac Seul, somebody would be constantly on the net if you netted everything. All pike get netted, but what a hassle as they wrap themselves in the net a dozen times!
Old 03-13-2017, 08:24 AM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by andersaki View Post
Depends, if I'm really hungry for walleye they all get netted. Bass get lipped and panfish get the flip. All esox go in the net. When I was a kid in the fifties, we had an older neighbor who was a muskie fisherman. One day he opened the cavernous trunk of his 98 Olds and showed me the huge muskie that seemed to go from fender to fender that he had caught and was soon to go to the taxidermist. He pointed out the .22 bullet hole in the head of the fish, which was a standard practice of the day to safely boat such a fish that was to be kept. Of course, that was a different time.

andersaki
Lot's of followers met their demise that way withouth ever tasting the hook.
Old 03-13-2017, 04:37 PM
Wallhanger

Interesting thread, we net everything except Northerns and Muskies. They are not allowed in the boat, unless I intend on keeping a Northern for a special recipe. But I switched my net to a large mouth rubber several years ago and the fish rarely get "spunky" and no hook tangles etc. We only keep what we are going to eat, so if I'm going to release them I want it done with as little stress as possible to the fish.
Old 03-13-2017, 06:25 PM
Minnow

Default Flipping fish

I used it flip most walleyes under 18" in the boat until I broke a rod doing so. I now use Boga grips on most of the fish & it works really well (it also saves your hands from getting cut). Pike never see the bottom of the boat.
Old 03-13-2017, 07:42 PM
Wallhanger

Yes, we 'flip'.

We also call for the net when it's needed too. I use 4lb Ande mono with 5' 10" IMX graphite. She uses 6lb berkley mono with a gary roach walleye 6 foot rod. Never broken a rod, never broken a tip, never broken the line. Stop being a *****.
Old 03-13-2017, 07:47 PM
Wallhanger

Plus flipping is much better for releasing walleyes. No net mess up. No banging on the bottom of the boat. No lost slime. Flip in, grab the fish, Un hook and release it.