Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
Minn Kota...Where oh where is your Quality Control? - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Boats, Motors, Electronics and Trailers > Motors and Props

Notices

Old 03-12-2017, 01:26 PM
Slot Fish

Default Minn Kota...Where oh where is your Quality Control?

I just received my new Ulterra 60" 112 volt I-Pilot Link trolling motor a couple of days ago ($2900). Today, I decided to assemble the MKA-21 Quick Release Bracket ($80)to the unit (trolling motor) to get it ready for installing on my new 2017 Crestliner Commander which will arrive shortly. When I began installing the Quick Release Bracket with the 6 bolts that came with it to the unit, I noticed two things. The bolts did not engage fully to the plastic inside the marine nuts. They seemed short. So, I measured them up and low and behold, they measured 1&1/4" long when the instructions that came with the MKA-21 Quick Release Bracket called for 1&1/2" long bolts. So, the bolts packaged with the MKA-21 Quick Release Bracket were the wrong size. I had to run into Menards and pick up a pack of 1&1/2" stainless bolts so I could finish the job. The second thing I noticed was that after I removed the side covers from the unit (which you need to do in order to install the Quick Release mount or permanent mount the unit), the plastic wire/cable holding clips on each side of the unit were positioned directly above the center mounting holes of the base of the unit. You could not assemble the Quick Release Bracket with them in this position as they were blocking the nuts and washers. So, I had to remove the wire/cable holders in order to complete the attachment of the Quick Release Bracket. I would have had to remove them regardless of whether I used a Quick Release Bracket or just simply bolted the unit down permanently. So, I then applied some new 3M double sided tape to the plastic wire/cable holding clips, and re-positioned them after I had the MKA-21 installed. Alrighty Then! The only other thing left to do was to install the propeller. Guess what? I ran into a problem with that too! The propeller nut that came with the unit is actually smashed on one side so you cannot screw it onto the shaft! WHY THE **** WOULD YOU INSTALL A DEFECTIVE NUT ON THE PROPELLER SHAFT??? LOL! Who knows, maybe the motor was dropped before being packaged...I don't know. The question I want to ask is simply: Where is the quality control Minn Kota??? No wonder China is kicking our.......
Helix 12 MEGA SI

Last edited by BRUKSHOT; 03-12-2017 at 04:17 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-12-2017, 01:40 PM
Super Moderator

What did Minn Kota say when you called to report the issues to their customer service?
NPAA#89

Supporting Vendor
Guide (Lake Erie Western Basin)
JulsWalleyeFishingAdventures.com

2017 Ranger 621 FS
300 G2
15 ETEC Kicker
112 Ulterra w/iPilot LINK
Humminbird Helix 12 SI CHIRP Gen2
and Helix 10 DI CHIRP Gen2
Old 03-12-2017, 01:44 PM
Slot Fish

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juls View Post
What did Minn Kota say when you called to report the issues to their customer service?
Have not yet heard back. Actually, I have not called them yet. It is Sunday. I will call them first thing in the morning though. I want to talk to a real live person, not a machine.
Helix 12 MEGA SI

Last edited by BRUKSHOT; 03-12-2017 at 01:52 PM.

Old 03-12-2017, 01:52 PM
guest2340

Just wait for the problems with the deploy and stow. You haven't even started to enjoy that $2900.00 trolling motor yet.
Old 03-12-2017, 01:54 PM
Slot Fish

Quote:
Originally Posted by guest2340 View Post
Just wait for the problems with the deploy and stow. You haven't even started to enjoy that $2900.00 trolling motor yet.
DON'T SAY THAT!!!!:help
Helix 12 MEGA SI
Old 03-12-2017, 03:07 PM
Wallhanger

My last 3 minnkotas have been lacking QC as well. They all worked and did their job but they were loud, and seemed unbalanced. I never had any of those issues with my old white top minnkotas. They are just cutting corners like everyone else does these days. Their bottom dollar is all they care about.
Old 03-12-2017, 03:11 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by BRUKSHOT View Post
DON'T SAY THAT!!!!:help
Ignore the guest user who probably has never even owned the Ulterra. I've been running them since they first came out.

In fact, I had one of the first ones off the production line after the beta testing was done the year prior to their production.

I have never had my stow or deploy fail on me....ever.

If I didn't trust it, I wouldn't have it on my Ranger.
NPAA#89

Supporting Vendor
Guide (Lake Erie Western Basin)
JulsWalleyeFishingAdventures.com

2017 Ranger 621 FS
300 G2
15 ETEC Kicker
112 Ulterra w/iPilot LINK
Humminbird Helix 12 SI CHIRP Gen2
and Helix 10 DI CHIRP Gen2
Old 03-12-2017, 03:19 PM
Wallhanger

Agreed, I haven't had one issue with my Ulterra (knock on wood) as far as the other issues.....I always have my dealer install that stuff. After paying what they cost the last thing I want is the aggravation you are having. For me i'll pay the $100 to let the dealer deal with that crap.
Old 03-12-2017, 06:26 PM
Keeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juls View Post
Ignore the guest user who probably has never even owned the Ulterra. I've been running them since they first came out.

In fact, I had one of the first ones off the production line after the beta testing was done the year prior to their production.

I have never had my stow or deploy fail on me....ever.

If I didn't trust it, I wouldn't have it on my Ranger.
I beta tested the Ulterra for a year prior to release and have had one since they were released to the public. During the beta period some issues were identified and resolved, but NEVER ONCE did I have the unit not deploy or stow when I asked it to!
Old 03-12-2017, 08:37 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BRUKSHOT View Post
I just received my new Ulterra 60" 112 volt I-Pilot Link trolling motor a couple of days ago ($2900). Today, I decided to assemble the MKA-21 Quick Release Bracket ($80)to the unit (trolling motor) to get it ready for installing on my new 2017 Crestliner Commander which will arrive shortly. When I began installing the Quick Release Bracket with the 6 bolts that came with it to the unit, I noticed two things. The bolts did not engage fully to the plastic inside the marine nuts. They seemed short. So, I measured them up and low and behold, they measured 1&1/4" long when the instructions that came with the MKA-21 Quick Release Bracket called for 1&1/2" long bolts. So, the bolts packaged with the MKA-21 Quick Release Bracket were the wrong size. I had to run into Menards and pick up a pack of 1&1/2" stainless bolts so I could finish the job. The second thing I noticed was that after I removed the side covers from the unit (which you need to do in order to install the Quick Release mount or permanent mount the unit), the plastic wire/cable holding clips on each side of the unit were positioned directly above the center mounting holes of the base of the unit. You could not assemble the Quick Release Bracket with them in this position as they were blocking the nuts and washers. So, I had to remove the wire/cable holders in order to complete the attachment of the Quick Release Bracket. I would have had to remove them regardless of whether I used a Quick Release Bracket or just simply bolted the unit down permanently. So, I then applied some new 3M double sided tape to the plastic wire/cable holding clips, and re-positioned them after I had the MKA-21 installed. Alrighty Then! The only other thing left to do was to install the propeller. Guess what? I ran into a problem with that too! The propeller nut that came with the unit is actually smashed on one side so you cannot screw it onto the shaft! WHY THE **** WOULD YOU INSTALL A DEFECTIVE NUT ON THE PROPELLER SHAFT??? LOL! Who knows, maybe the motor was dropped before being packaged...I don't know. The question I want to ask is simply: Where is the quality control Minn Kota??? No wonder China is kicking our.......
I installed one yesterday morning and had exactly the same issues you had. Unbelievable that both wire clips were centered exactly on the bolt holes. I also had to go get a bolt set. The ones they sent for the remove able bracket were 1/2 inch long. They needed to be 7/8 to work as needed. I went to local store and purchased 3/4 and one inch as that was all that was available. I thought the one inch may be too long to slide in the bracket, so I tested it first. It slid in, so I went back to the bench, and completed the base installation. Took it over to the boat and slid it in till I heard clunk. Pulled it back and clunked it again. WTH ? They were hitting the bolt heads that secure the base to the boat. Why couldn't they offset these holes? Another trip to the store to buy a metal cutting blad for a sonic tool to cut off the excess. $13 later and I hadn't even gotten thru the first one. Back to the bench, took it apart and used the 3/4 inch, didn't get much penetration into the plastic of the lock nuts, but it is what it is,for now.