Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
Minn Kota...Where oh where is your Quality Control? - Page 2 - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Boats, Motors, Electronics and Trailers > Motors and Props

Notices

Old 03-12-2017, 11:10 PM
Minnow

juls ... im not putting down minn kota I to have a new Ulterra I had to use the old bolts from my other mount my new ones where to short also I did a dry fit and my keel is bent and has a scrape on it in the direction of the bend I think it was also dropped prior to packaging I have no way to prove it. Its kind of a coincidence there is three of us same thing except for my keel. I to have to make a phone call today. I ordered my Ulterra on line im kinda worried about making the phone call ............juls Im waving a white flag lol

juls the heading sensor instructions are confusing where do you have yours mounted on your Ranger ??????
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-13-2017, 04:18 AM
Wallhanger

My very first Minn Kota bow mount I purchased 37 years ago was flawless.

Next bow mount I purchased 32 years ago only had high speed not the 5 speeds it should of had. Minn Kota paid for shipping back to them and had it back to me in about 2.5 weeks. Worked fine after that.

Then I purchased another one about 10-12 years ago and the prop ran BACKWARDS. Of course I triple checked my connections on the water but I had everything correct. I called Minn Kota when I got home and got a women tech who said you can send it in or I can walk you through the connections on the foot control to correct the problem. So after 15 minutes on the phone the thing was fixed and ran great after that until I sold it 2 years ago.

Now on this boat I have Minn Kota PD V2 this time around and added their iPilot kit myself and it has been perfect from day one. Very happy with it.

So yes, I think Minn Kota's quality control can improve, however they do stand by their product and help is always a phone call away.

Bob
Lowrance HDS7 Gen 2 Touch unit networked to a LMS 520c
Lowrance Engine Interface cable
Minn Kota Power Drive V2 US2 now with i-Pilot
Custom designed and built rod holders
Custom designed and built down rigger platforms
All towed with my Trusty G2 '07 Toyota Tundra
Old 03-13-2017, 06:04 AM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by reddog View Post
I installed one yesterday morning and had exactly the same issues you had. Unbelievable that both wire clips were centered exactly on the bolt holes. I also had to go get a bolt set. The ones they sent for the remove able bracket were 1/2 inch long. They needed to be 7/8 to work as needed. I went to local store and purchased 3/4 and one inch as that was all that was available. I thought the one inch may be too long to slide in the bracket, so I tested it first. It slid in, so I went back to the bench, and completed the base installation. Took it over to the boat and slid it in till I heard clunk. Pulled it back and clunked it again. WTH ? They were hitting the bolt heads that secure the base to the boat. Why couldn't they offset these holes? Another trip to the store to buy a metal cutting blad for a sonic tool to cut off the excess. $13 later and I hadn't even gotten thru the first one. Back to the bench, took it apart and used the 3/4 inch, didn't get much penetration into the plastic of the lock nuts, but it is what it is,for now.
If it helps at all, they make thinner nylock nuts.

HRG
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Thin Nylocks.JPG
Views:	149
Size:	199.3 KB
ID:	247698  

Old 03-13-2017, 09:09 AM
Slot Fish

Smile

Update: I just finished speaking with a gentleman at Minn Kota a few minutes ago. He said that it sounds like the reason for the smashed prop nut could be that the motor was dropped, so he documented the notes in my file for the unit just in case I have a problem later on after I install it onto the new boat which should be here in two weeks or so. He is going to replace (send out) the 6 bolts that were too short from the MKA-21 Quick Release Mount and a new prop nut. I also let him know that the plastic cable/wire clips were positioned directly above and in the way of the center bolt holes on each side of the motor and that I had to remove and re-position them after I had the MKA-21 assembled to the unit. He agreed that they should not have been positioned that way and will pass along that information to management (I am guessing at the assembly plant). He also apologized for the problems I am having and will send out the bolts and prop nut right away.
Helix 12 MEGA SI
Old 03-13-2017, 09:32 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by BRUKSHOT View Post
Update: I just finished speaking with a gentleman at Minn Kota a few minutes ago. He said that it sounds like the reason for the smashed prop nut could be that the motor was dropped, so he documented the notes in my file for the unit just in case I have a problem later on after I install it onto the new boat which should be here in two weeks or so. He is going to replace (send out) the 6 bolts that were too short from the MKA-21 Quick Release Mount and a new prop nut. I also let him know that the plastic cable/wire clips were positioned directly above and in the way of the center bolt holes on each side of the motor and that I had to remove and re-position them after I had the MKA-21 assembled to the unit. He agreed that they should not have been positioned that way and will pass along that information to management (I am guessing at the assembly plant). He also apologized for the problems I am having and will send out the bolts and prop nut right away.
Glad to hear you're being taken care of. I had no doubt you would be. Johnson Outdoors has some of the best customer service people in the industry.
NPAA#89

Supporting Vendor
Guide (Lake Erie Western Basin)
JulsWalleyeFishingAdventures.com

2017 Ranger 621 FS
300 G2
15 ETEC Kicker
112 Ulterra w/iPilot LINK
Humminbird Helix 12 SI CHIRP Gen2
and Helix 10 DI CHIRP Gen2
Old 03-13-2017, 03:19 PM
Wallhanger

It will be interesting to see what Minn Kota does regarding these issues. The definition of stupidity is doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results. Regardless of the responsiveness of customer service, continually sending out units with the wrong bolt set and incorrect wiring tab placement is stupid. It diminishes customer satisfaction, and unnecessarily increases cost which is no doubt passed on to the consumer in one way or another.
Old 03-13-2017, 04:50 PM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wall-i-Lama View Post
It will be interesting to see what Minn Kota does regarding these issues. The definition of stupidity is doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results. Regardless of the responsiveness of customer service, continually sending out units with the wrong bolt set and incorrect wiring tab placement is stupid. It diminishes customer satisfaction, and unnecessarily increases cost which is no doubt passed on to the consumer in one way or another.
But do you know ANY manufacture that is perfect right out of the box . . . .
Lowrance HDS7 Gen 2 Touch unit networked to a LMS 520c
Lowrance Engine Interface cable
Minn Kota Power Drive V2 US2 now with i-Pilot
Custom designed and built rod holders
Custom designed and built down rigger platforms
All towed with my Trusty G2 '07 Toyota Tundra
Old 03-13-2017, 05:37 PM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobby Winds View Post

Not an issue of perfect out of the box, no reasonable person can expect that. However, I had the same issue with minn Kota over a year ago and based on that fact and the above posts, minn Kota is a very slow learner.
Old 03-17-2017, 07:59 AM
Wallhanger

Quote:
There may be some, but we don't hear about them, why? Because perfection is what manufacturers should be striving for, and not giving threads like this an opportunity to raise awareness. Most manufacturers use the customer service dept to make sure perfection is what they are delivering, if the customer service dept has a slow month or year with defects, etc. things are great on the floor, if not, then changes are needed to correct the problem. A good customer service dept should be able to react and correct problems, unfortunately they shouldn't have too. Proper bolt packages for assembly, and proper placement of clips is way to easy to get right, the first time.
Old 03-18-2017, 04:50 PM
Slot Fish

Quote:
We are talking "standard working condition" out of the box. If you want to call that "perfect", then go right ahead. Either way, if you are shelling out almost $3000 for a product, then yes...It has to be perfect. If I pay my hard earned money for a product, and it is not usable when I receive it, then it is definitely not perfect, and that is totally unacceptable.
Helix 12 MEGA SI