Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
Fenwick HMG vs St Croix Triumph - Page 2 - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Walleye Message Central > Strictly Fishing

Notices

Old 03-14-2017, 12:48 PM
Wallhanger

Awesome on you for getting your 10 year old to save money for a fishing rod instead of a video game!

The HMG is a very stiff rod, much like the vendetta or veritas in the abu line. a ML hmg is about equal to a medium triumph. Keep that in mind. Both are about equal in sensitivity.

Take a peak at the okuma deadeye rods, they are great budget rods. Make sure its the Fast or XFast action and not moderate or moderate fast, they have both.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-14-2017, 04:53 PM
cutting edge

Another rod to look at in that price range is the new Berkley Series One rods (the old series ones where great rods).

Good Luck!
Old 03-14-2017, 05:50 PM
Keeper

why not chip in or lend her a few extra bucks to get a premier like yours?

Old 03-14-2017, 06:55 PM
Keeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by FloridaRigger View Post
why not chip in or lend her a few extra bucks to get a premier like yours?

I gave her a new reel and tackle box already. I think it's important for kids to invest in the things they want too. She wanted a new rod, so she will have to get it herself. I committed to helping her find a good one and getting a good deal.

Her older brother was given a rod and had to buy his own reel. This is the same thing, just rod and reel flipped. He takes care of it much better now that he has some "skin in the game."

SkWalter

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Minn Kota Terrova 80# 24V iPilot Link
Humminbird Helix 9
Old 03-14-2017, 07:14 PM
Minnow

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkWalter View Post
My daughter has saved up her money for a good spinning rod. Both the Fenwick HMG and St Croix Triumph are in her price range. I've read good things on both but haven't used either myself. Looking at a 6'6" Medium with either Fast or X-Fast tip.

Anyone with hands on experience with both?

SkWalter

The HMG is a little cheaper but still a good rod however I would go with the St. Croix. I have both but I run more St. Croix than anything else (my favorite with them is the eye-con series), I feel the triumph is a little lighter and has a better feel and sensitivity also the warranty with St. Croix is great.
Old 03-14-2017, 07:58 PM
Minnow

Kudos on teaching your young ones the value of money, saving, and working for it all while they find a hobby the enjoy as a family. I hope I do as well with mine.

I like both rods. I have a few triumphs and have had no issues. I can't remember if the have lifetime warranties like most of the st croix products, their customer service is top notch.
Old 03-14-2017, 08:38 PM
Keeper

One thing that she might find pretty cool is with St.Croix she get to register her rod on line with the company. I have the 6'6" ML 2 piece that goes to Canada with me every year. I have caught a 44 and a 45 inch pike with it. Very nice rod for the money.
Old 03-14-2017, 08:41 PM
Keeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by cornwood611 View Post
Kudos on teaching your young ones the value of money, saving, and working for it all while they find a hobby the enjoy as a family. I hope I do as well with mine.

I like both rods. I have a few triumphs and have had no issues. I can't remember if the have lifetime warranties like most of the st croix products, their customer service is top notch.

Good point about registering in her name, and she will get a nice St Croix sticker in the mail.

Old 03-15-2017, 04:10 AM
Keeper

Not sure if it has been mentioned but I believe the St. Croix Triumph and Premiere use the same blanks, just different guides and finish.

The Premiere's are my goto rods now days and I agree that your daughter should get a life time of fishing out of a Triumph. Kind of a flip flop regarding the topic at hand, but I still use a 30+ year old Fenwick boron rod that was my best walleye rod for many years.

+1 on the kudos for raising your kids with an appreciation for being personally responsible and the joy it brings.
Old 03-15-2017, 05:28 AM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkWalter View Post
She's 10, but my most responsible child. She has been saving for a while and has $120 CAD saved up. I asked her how much she was wanting to spend on a rod and she replied "$110, but if you find a good one on sale we can go with that". I guess that means she's "all in"!

I had her handle a number of different rods in my arsenal without knowing the price. Her top two picks were a G Loomis SJR 722 and a St Croix Premier 66MFS. I found her a deal on an Abu Garcia Vendetta and she said "No thanks. It feels too stiff for what I want." She may be 10 but she at least has an opinion on what she likes!

For reference, the HMG rods are $130 CAD here, but I found them on sale for $90. The Triumph is $110 CAD.

SkWalter
When we were buying new rods last year, I settled on a Fenwick Elitetech 6'6" medium, extrafast tip which I really like. For y wife we went to Cabelas here and she tried everything in the store, we attached reels to all of them and she settled on a 7' medium light Tourney Trail which she really likes. Her fav part is that it's light for a 7' rod, she caught a whack of fish with it including a 36" pike. Take your daughter to Cabelas or the Fishinhole and let her try them in her hands. Her small hands may make a big difference when she's actually using the rod.